Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Downshifting an auto?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2002, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downshifting an auto?

Ok, heres the deal. Yes the Lancer auto is more than decent, but when I autocross it does not drop down fast enough to get me out of the turns. Well I thought maybe I could just shift from 1 to 2, going into a turn, then shift back down to 1 (low) coming out. Well I was playing around with this technique today and I noticed than when shifted down to low out of 2nd, the engine will actually brake the car, like a mnual. I only did it once or twice. My question, to any knoledgable people, is will this hurt the tranny or the torque converter? Just wanted to know, thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 01:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only vehicle I had with an automatic in it ended up getting a shift kit so I wouldn't kill the transmission. I would take it easy doing that until or ever there is a shift kit for your car.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 02:17 AM

well, eventhough I'm not a car expert, I just thought that automatic is just instead of you->shift gears, its computer->shift gears, then if you shift the gear into D1, D2, etc...its just you->computer->shift gear, I don't think it'll hurt, its just that computer might not be as gentle as you are....so it might put more pressure on the tranny

I don't autocross/race at all, but I do burn rubber on local roads, what I tend to do on my auto Integra is I down to D2 or D3, I left it there and I ease on the gas and ride thru the turns, when I came out of the turns and I step on it, the response is still pretty good, then i throw it into D3 or D4 depends on how fast I'm going.

just you can go D4<->D3 no problem, no D3->D2, only D2->D3, and D2<->D1....but changing gears with automatic tends to get a weird bump when the computer changes gear, I guess its just how its design? maybe you know, but thats on the Honda, not sure if Mitsu is the same.

I'm all ears, tell me if i'm breaking my car too,
Old Sep 10, 2002, 02:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just saying take it easy. It would suck to be going down the road and you find the guts of your transmission all over the road. Most automatics are built for downshifting.
Old Sep 10, 2002, 02:34 AM

yes I could go down from D4->D3 just by shifting it down, but I need to step on the brake if I want to go from D3->D2, plus it just doesn't shift fast like manual, I'm dying to drive a manual car...its just much more fun

btw, why not kill a Toyota? there are just as many Toyotas on the road as Hondas, why just Honda?
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

yea, i don't know from personal experience or anything, but those low gears are meant for steady driving when torque is needed. most people in other threads say they don't even think they accelerate faster doing 1,2,3 maually over the auto doing it for them
because, like you said, it engine breaks for you. the only way to get around this, which would really **** up your tranny, is to put it in neutral, gas it till it's at like 2-3k, then drop it down... which is not only difficult, but will ***** your car.
to each his own tho.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

where can i get one of these shift kits???
Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Our auto tranny wasn't meant to be shifted around like a manual. You will tear it up in the long run, but N-drops will kill it faster.

AsK all those S-10 mini-truck driver thinking their column shifting on their 4 banger makes them go any faster . . . in the end, it's traded away with torn up 3rd gear and non-existant O/D.

The Ecu control it from tearing its teeth; w/ you in control, you have no way controlling whether a teeth is grinding slowly to death.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:18 AM
NeX
Evolving Member

Could someone please explain to me what a shift kit actually does and what a reasonable price is for one of them?

Also an auto owner