Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Changin the fluid for AT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changin the fluid for AT

can someone show me where the drain plugs are or whatever it is cuz i read it in the how to but without pics im so lost... please help me some1 before my tranny goes to s*** more than it is...thanks a lot guys n some of da girls id appreciate it
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:03 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try a search for "transmission fluid" or "gear oil" it should find a thread on changing trans oil for a manual, but someone posted up a page for the automatic shop manual on it too.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

to change the fluid on the auto tranny it is a *****. i suggest you take it to AAMCO or whom ever and pay the 150 bucks cause if you just change the fluid, you aint doin any good. you need to change the fluid and filter (or clean the screen) cause that is the best way to maintain your tranny.

do do that you need to drop the pan on the tranny and pull out the filter. can be done but it is a PITA.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 06:19 PM

Our transmissions have an internal filter that only needs to be changed every 100k miles. You can't get to it without tearing the thing apart. I find this out AFTER I order the stupid filter. What the Mitsu dealership said was to have the fluid flushed every 30k miles. Its not like a conventional transmission.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

that filter that should only be changed every 100K should still be ideally replaced every 2 tranny fluid changes, 60K miles would be ideal, for a car under heavy duty.,

Remember all dealer quoted maintenance time frames are for stock, mediumly driven cars.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 04:41 AM

Take a good look at the trans. There is no pan on the bottom of it. What you would consider the pan is on the front side of the trans, and without pulling the trans, that simply isn't going to happen. None of us can afford to have than done every 60k. I don't know what mitsu was thinking when they designed it, but it is deffinately not built like regular transmissions. The filter doesn't even look like a normal filter. I'm going to have to take the service guys at their word that it doesn't need changing, and that I should just have the fluid flushed out, which I had done last night. IF you can find a easy way to get to the filter, please share. I would do it if I could.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

actually it isnt that uncommon for the pan to be on the side.

this tranny is used in mirages and some eclipse (slightly different form of the F4a42).

I had the filter replaced and all the fluid done at 30K for 259 from my local tranny shop.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 09:23 AM

I'll keep that in mind for the next change then since I have the part.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

lol so no help on the actual question? okkkkkkkkk
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

any pics of what a tranny filter / gasket looks like. for months i was looking for it and now that i bought it i wanna make sure it's the right filter. And if possible can someone show me the location of filler and drain plug? I only saw the manual one. And about what raven said it doesn't even look like a filter just flush it. So I wanna make sure I got the right filter.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

their is that page that has the oil breakdown for a mt, but they posted the thing from the service manual on how to do both. you can do it by yourself. its not hard. just make sure you buy a little extra oil so you can add oil as you drain it, until you get only new oil draining. then stop and filler up. check guage to make sure its full, start it, run it for a bit, go for a short drive, whatever, then stop the car and check the line again, if its still normal, should be near the hot on the thing or somehting, i forgot, but buy redline, hear alot of great things from the mt guys. and i emailed the guy last night about which of the two for at's to buy, and how much it would be all together. but we need like 7.7, so 8 quarts, at 7.86 or 7.96 a quart. so about $56 and then shipping. so not as bad as $200 something at a shop. if its your 30k change, dont worry about filter and gasket, unless you dog your trans and car. wait till about 60k or 100k to check it out. dont fix it if it aint broke.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ravenlancer
Our transmissions have an internal filter that only needs to be changed every 100k miles. You can't get to it without tearing the thing apart. I find this out AFTER I order the stupid filter. What the Mitsu dealership said was to have the fluid flushed every 30k miles. Its not like a conventional transmission.
I went to jiffy lube to get the gasket replaced (since the transmission oil pan is leaking) and get a transmission flush at the same time. I asked them where is the filter for my auto lancer and they said they couldn't find it. they showedwhat the inside looked like and even i couldn't find the filter. >< I got so pissed that i have to skim through the TSB lancer manual(which i hate to do because they have different name terms, and tons of freaking pages). I found out you have to get out 27 bolts + the bolts from the oil pan just to get to the filter ; ;. So basically you have to get through that 27 bolts and they have different torque requirements too to tighten them. I wonder wtf mitsu is thinking. Anyway it'll take you hours changing that tiny small screen mitsu called filter. about the filler and drain plug. I really can't help without the pics sry.... I wish i can post a pic but my other manual is in adobe format. If anybody can help me convert them to any type piture file, I't'll be so much appreciated so that we don't get into any more confusion. instead of me saying it's better if the documentation shows it in paper. I think all of you would agree
Old Sep 23, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

is the filter only on the auto lancers?
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

i didn't check manual sry