Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Rubbing noise from the back wheels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubbing noise from the back wheels

I looked in the sticky posts for the wierd noises and I couldn't find it there. Since about 2-3 weeks I'm hearing this noise, sounds like rubbing, coming from the back wheels. I have the stock wheels and they look inflated enough and not over inflated. I'm really hearing it a lot when driving on the highway and going over any little bump or hole, even the little ones on the bridges where the plates are put together. I can also hear it when taking corners and changing lanes on the highway. I'm not sure what it is from, or if it's anything I should worry about.
Anyone experience this or have any suggestions ?
Thanks

PS: I know for sure it wasn't doing the sound until a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing you haven't lowered your car...otherwise you would have mentioned it. Wish I could tell you though. Just look under there, and see if anything looked out of place. Oh, is the noise coming from both sides at the same time?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

the only thing that i think it could be is you tire rubbing in the wheel well. like slvroz said, unless you havent lowered it, i have no clue what it is. good luck getting it fixed though.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the answers. I'll definately take a better look. And no, the car is not lowered at all. The sound comes from both sides at the same time, but sometimes only. It usually comes from either side.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Does it make that noise only at higher speeds? Thought maybe you could take it to a lot with speed-bumps (the huge ones) and go over them slowly. Have yourself or someone else outside to get a better feel whats happening. Just a thought...but good luck.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

that's a good idea, I'll have to try it. It does it at lower speeds also, but not as loud. I can really hear it on the highway though.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

*cough* check the exhaust if it is rubbing on the rear sway bar or axle.. that is pretty common for making funny noises in the rear.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

I checked and the wheels aren't rubbing, and the exhaust seems fine. Sound is still there. It could also be described like when wind is blowing on the side of your car (when driving fast), at least that's what a fellow evom member thought it sounded like (he was in the car so he has a good idea of the sound). But it's not the wind, since there was no wind, and I had to go on a road which was less than perfect to be able to hear the noise well. We couldn't figure it out. Any other theories/ideas ?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

The bushings on the sway bar or lower control arms? I had mine replaced under factory warranty. They were making funny noises. Or it could be the struts making noises. In the winter mine do.. but not in the summer. Its weird. Maybe check in your spare tire well under the trunk carpet. The jack could be sliding around. My old talon had that happen.. I though my exhaust was falling off lol.