Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

I really hope I dodged a bullet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hope I dodged a bullet

I just need some expertise here. I was driving home today and needed to get on an exit. I am in the left lane and need to get over. Well my exit is coming up real fast and there are like two rigs in the right lane with a mustang leading them both. So I decide to speed up past the mustang to get over. Well I guess he decides I am racing him and he is gunning it right next to me. I need to get over like now, so I go ahead and shoot right past him with very little effort. (Yay me )
Now the problem is that just as I smoke the mustang and get on my exit, I hear sort of a bump sound from the engine. The engine starts to bog down and will hardly accelerate at all. I find the first place I can and pull over. I pull out my tools and check the dipstick, nothing wrong there. I look for leaks, none. I looked for an I/C pipe blown off, all pipes still attached. Check all my vacuum lines, their ok, I am starting to sweat now. So I take out my sparkplugs, three of the plugs electrodes have been smashed down. I regapped the plugs and reinstalled them. I started up the car and everything was back to normal. I sat there for awhille and didn't notice anything and drove home, no other problems. I checked real hard for anything at all that could be wrong, leaks, noises stuff like that, the car runs fine now. My question is, should I do anything else and what happend?
I appreciate anyones help.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

I'd change your oil just incase, look for any discoloration or anything that might not be oil. Change spark plugs completely, not just regap. Also, check your timing. How many miles on your lancer? When was the last time a belt was changed? It's possible to jump timing with an old belt and more stress than OEM.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

I am definitley getting new plugs within the next few days and it is time for an oil change. I have only 32000+miles on the car. Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

. . the plugs were smashed down . . . now thats frikin weird. Id say take it to a shop, that does not sound like something to mess with.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter who you bought your turbo kit from try to get Rrm's attention to this thread. I'd like to know what happened too.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

What plugs were you using?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Would that have been "piston slap", or is that only when valves are involved? Oh yeah, check them valves!
Old Jan 8, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I just finished doing a compression test and these are the results: 145 (155 WET) 180, 185, 220
Not looking good for me
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

I would be worried about those numbers. Time for a leak down test.