Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2008 Lancer "pulls to the left" Issue Petition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 96Eclipsed
Here's my tale of woe with pulling to the left and the Dealer...

I bought my 09 GTS in June 09...a week after I bought it I was driving down the 280 freeway to work and for some reason only then thought to test alignment...and of course it pulled to the left. Made appointment to go to the dealer. On the way to the dealer is a road that has a hump between the lanes...even when the car should then be pulling to the right because of the incline, it pulled left!

Got to dealer and explained the problem. They asked me if I had hit a pot hole or something and I said I hadn't and that they'd probably be able to tell if I had anyway. So they agreed to check it. They gave it back after a few hours saying they sent it to an alignment shop...but it still pulled. Made another appointment...they said they took it to the alignment shop and that this was the last time they would work on it. At that point I should have just handed the car back and asked for another or moved on since it still pulled...but I stuck with it.

I ended up going on Mitsubishi-forums.com and found out a lot of others were having the same issue...Everyone had the same opinion...the stock Dunlops were crap. So I waited.

Around June '10 I noticed that my left front tire had bad wear around the outer edge...so I took it to the tire shop and bought some Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/40-18s...had to pay for alignment. The shop told me he was stunned because the dealer had never had it aligned, they just had the shop adjust the camber on the left front wheel...I asked if they used a camber kit and he said no...we both just kind of wondered at what they did...but that is why only the left front tire had the outer wear.

Anyway, got the Conti's on and aligned and now I have nice straight line driving.
Camber will cause tire wear but will not fix the pull, your tires must have been the problem. The camber can be adjusted by taking out the top pinch bolt where the strut and spindle bolt together and either reaming out the strut to the let the spindle pivot ( thus changing camber) or a smaller bolt could have been used. The dealer would never do either of those procedures because it is not "factory" adjustment. They would rather tell you that everythings okay and send you on your way. It works great thought and is completely safe and all, I usually end up having to do one a day.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by andrewkeisler
Camber will cause tire wear but will not fix the pull, your tires must have been the problem. The camber can be adjusted by taking out the top pinch bolt where the strut and spindle bolt together and either reaming out the strut to the let the spindle pivot ( thus changing camber) or a smaller bolt could have been used. The dealer would never do either of those procedures because it is not "factory" adjustment. They would rather tell you that everythings okay and send you on your way. It works great thought and is completely safe and all, I usually end up having to do one a day.

Oh, I have no doubt the problem was the crap, stock Dunlops...worst tire ever.

Last edited by 96Eclipsed; Jan 18, 2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting, this is good to know. I wish I would have known this before I bought the gts. i got the stock dunlop tires....
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

i won't disagree that the stock dunlops are a crap tire...but if ur toe is out a little bit, it will litterally drag the ur tire across the pavement and cause excessive wear on the edges.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:04 PM

I HAD stock dunlop tires on my GTS until the front tires went bald. I went to my dealership and told them WTF how are my tires bald after 10k miles. They told me that I drive like an A$$hole and that was that, they also told me I had to pay 160$ per tire if I wanted to replace them. (So much for wonderful customer service). So I decieded to buy new tires off of tirerack that have a better tred wear. Anyways what I am getting at is that I also have the same problem, my car veared to the left when I had my stock tires but when I installed my new tires the car still vears left.

I still havent gotten a wheel alignment, which numerous people have told me thats the reason why its doing it.

I didnt read all the 16 pages of posts but I figured I add some info to this topic.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Philly101
I HAD stock dunlop tires on my GTS until the front tires went bald. I went to my dealership and told them WTF how are my tires bald after 10k miles. They told me that I drive like an A$$hole and that was that, they also told me I had to pay 160$ per tire if I wanted to replace them. (So much for wonderful customer service). So I decieded to buy new tires off of tirerack that have a better tred wear. Anyways what I am getting at is that I also have the same problem, my car veared to the left when I had my stock tires but when I installed my new tires the car still vears left.

I still havent gotten a wheel alignment, which numerous people have told me thats the reason why its doing it.

I didnt read all the 16 pages of posts but I figured I add some info to this topic.

I'm surprised the shop that installed your tires/wheels didn't do an alignment...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lancer XI1
Interesting, this is good to know. I wish I would have known this before I bought the gts. i got the stock dunlop tires....

The GTS itself is a great car...it's the dunlops that suck...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by 96Eclipsed
I'm surprised the shop that installed your tires/wheels didn't do an alignment...
Me too they wanted to charge me $70 for a wheel alignment....oh well
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Philly101
Me too they wanted to charge me $70 for a wheel alignment....oh well

Sorry, I don't know of a shop that simply does it for free...unless of course you have a relationship with them...

I would have definately paid the $70 for it then I would have gone to the dealer to get them to refund the money.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:42 AM

2008 Lancer GTS still pulls to the left

Any update to this? My 08 GTS has over 100,000 kms and has been pulling left for years. New tires at 60,000 did not help. It's much better in the winter with steel wheels and snow tires so I'm thinking it could be the 18" stock rims? I have read other posts of peolpe that still have the problem even after changing wheels. Has the problem been resolved in the newer models?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 09 ES does this as well, always has /shrug. Ive had alignments done 3 separate times, the last being less than a year ago right after i installed my new struts. I had it done at Kal-Tire and they even made mention of it when i picked it up, and couldnt figure it out. Said mebbe it was the road geade combined with my aggressive tires. Either way i havent had any odd tire wear so...i guess ill just keep on driving.