Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Known 2008 problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#1: Cranking issues - A lot of owners have had problems starting the lancer. Longer-than-normal cranking has been reported by a lot of owners. Can be related to some relays, as has released a TSB (see here). Affected cars can have certain relays replaced by the dealership for free (if the dealership deems this necessary).

#2: Pulling to the left - I think this is more of a GTS issue than a DE or ES issue. I haven't heard many people complain with the DE/ES, but a lot of people with the GTS have a problem with the vehicle having an aggressive pull to the left. This is most likely either tire or alignment related. Many owners have reported an improvement after changing the stock Dunlop tires (some have even gotten the dealership to cover the cost). Also, there is no adjustment for front camber in the stock setup, which means that the car will tend to drift towards the side with more camber. This can be resolved with camber bolts (currently only available through RRM).

#3: Radio Reception - The 2008 Lancer seems to have really crappy reception. This car has terrible radio reception, and it's unknown whether it's caused by the headunit or the antenna. Also, multiple owners have reported their radio dying and needing to be replaced.

#4: Window scratching - The pads that hold the window tend to be scratchy. Some owners have noticed small scratches on their windows after lowering/raising them. BUT the bigger issue is with tint. The scratchy guards will destroy your tint. Fortunately, there is a solution. And the solution just got better - special Evolutionm.net member pricing!

#5: GTS tires + snow - The stock Dunlop tires on the GTS models are not very safe or effective in the snow/slush. Despite their rating as an "All-Season" tire, they lose traction on small levels of snow/slush. Dozens of members have complained on the boards about poor traction and the need to purchase snowtires (or better All-Seasons).

-------------

Thread closed. I will update as needed. Post in the discussion thread here or PM me to talk further.

Notes:

Please understand this: When I say "Known Problems," I mean "all or most of the 2008 Lancers have this problem. Be aware before you purchase." I don't just mean that some cars experience it. A problem on your car doesn't mean that I will include it on this list. It needs to be on a significant number of cars.

Thanks go to bluewaterDEMON - this list is a modified version of his Oct. 2007 list.

-DJ

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Mar 20, 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Updated yet again. I try to keep this list current, but feel free to PM me when I forget things.