Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Fast Key not working

Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fast Key not working

This is a problem but also has a partial solution to it.

edit:
Lancer 2008 GTS CVT
/edit

Here's some background on the situation.

So I went home for christmas, still there actually. Car won't start, fast key seems to be the issue. Roadside assistance seems to be the issue also. Yes I know it's the holidays I waited for 4 hours in sub 30 degree weather for a tow truck. The roads weren't bad, no snow no ice, definately no reason for me to wait that long, what if i were to have a child with me? what if i was in the middle of no where? Definately, have an issue with this.

(This is going to go off topic for a bit because of the frustrations I've been going through for the past day or so. Also want to know if anyone else has experienced this with mitsu warranty/roadside assistance.)

1st tow was approximately 1hr 10 minutes, waited for 1hr 20 minutes called they told me it was on time still, and told me i was informed of an 1 hr 40 minute wait time. so at the 2 hour mark nothing. 2 hours 10 minutes finally guy shows up truck bed doesn't work, needs to send a new truck.

Okay that's not mitsu's fault, however, when they guy told me he was going to send a new truck and didn't I started to get irratated with the whole matter. I called mitsu service department and told me that it was going to be another 2 hours before a new truck can come to get me. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with supervisors asking why it was going to take another 2 hours to get another truck. The reply was that I had to move to the bottom up the priority since the truck they sent was broke, I am in a major city, you are to tell me that there are not more than a couple hundred tow truck companies and every single one of them are out towing a car? I think not. At this point i've already missed a chirstmas dinner with my family, though now I was able to leave my car finally mind you, after being there no heat, etc. for about 3 hours 45 minutes. Yippie

At this point any contacting of mitsu, is in india, yes i say it road side assistance is in india when us call centers are close, a country that has no concept on chirstmas, didn't understand the importance of me missing time with family at a christmas dinner, because i was required to stay with my car the entire time.

Now back to what I was speaking of earlier, my fast key system seems to have stopped working all together. I haven't had any issues with my car starting at all, until this problem. I left from the mall, literally drove it across the street, to do some more shopping, went to put the gifts in the trunk got out the car and pressed the trunk button (on the car) nothing at all didn't think anything of it.

Got back to the car, car wouldn't start everything turns lights sound, everything. fast system still wasn't working but the the buttons on the transponder were.

Woke up called for a tow to the local dealership and the service departments are all closed. Guess who answered, Inida again, after telling us last night that the US call centers would be open.

I worked 2.5 years in computer industry and dealt many times with outsourced call work, if i'd would have known this i wouldn't have bought my car from mitsu, but i guess the problem is most all companies do this, but that's a different issue for a different time.

While waiting for the tow truck, was talking with a sales person at a local shop, since the service department was closed. He was very helpful and actually knew what to do. He told me that the issue is that other keys on the key ring can run interference with the transponder and make the fast system not work. As for just using the key the system will not work either.

So here is what you need to do, you can find this in the manual also, i haven't checked b.c i left them 400 miles away at home.

First take all key off your key ring.
Second take off the key ring itself off.
Third remove the key from the transponder.
Fourth insert the key backwars into the transponder. You will flip the key so that the teeth are shown. It will make it look like some if the other older key where the transponder is at the top of the key and you can still insert the key into the ingintion.
Fifth is to remove the ignition cap and start the car.

That however will not fix your fast system, i still need to get it serviced, but it will allow you to start your car. Like I said it's in the manual but I have not had time to read it. only had the car for about 20-22 days or so, haven't even made a payment yet.

They also recommend using a plastic key ring if you are going to put other keys on it. however, they highly recommend keeping to fast key seperate for all other keys.

I will try to post an answer as to what the real problem is with the fast system when i find out after the holidays.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

i first looked at this post and said wow... now if i had a fast key it would've been a obligation but thank god i dont have the fast key lol
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Wel.. that's a solution.. but to be honest, I think most ppl have been able to figure it out that you just need the old metal key into the car to make it start if some super duper technologie fails.. but well.. everyone can miss it out sometime
Good luck on finding the solution.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:01 AM

If the transponder in the key fails, there is an emergency key you can use. It sounds like he didn't read the manual to know that you have to hold the FAST key transponder up to the ignition while the manual key is in the ignition to make it work (this is because the transponder, which every car on the market has, is in the key-fob, not in the metal key itself in this car).

If the doors unlock when you touch the handle and the ignition switch turns without a key, then the FAST key system is not likely the issue.

The toyota prius relys 100% on this type system (SKS system, and no mechanical metal key slot except in the door). I must say that it is a pretty good system, and the most convenient thing I've used beyond the "standard" keyless system I like it so much, I'm working on a project to convert my house to the exact same type of system (I'm a computer engineer...).

I do have to admit that in mitusbishi's, its looks like an "afterthought" system though for what you have to do when the system fails -- the prius provides a little slot you to stick your entire key-fob in -- no mechanical key required. Mitsu requires you to hold the keyfob up to the ignition and look like you're hotwiring it or something Weird, but it works, and its for emergencies only.

Good luck and please do tell us why your system did, in fact fail. I'm 8 months and not a single problem with FAST.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:01 AM

Finally made it home and the second key works without problems, calling today to get some clearification & resolution.

As for just using the key itself it won't work unless the transponder is attached to it. at least in my situation.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 01:57 PM

It was just the key itself, luckily. They are getting a new one sent and should be here next week. Hopefully tonight i can get a hold of mistu and help them re-evaluate their current system. never in my life have i heard of waiting in line for your turn, and then once you number is called put you back at the end of the line to wait again. That is unprofessional and discourteous.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:12 PM

You are not alone in your problems. A little over a month ago I was leaving work and I finally get to my car (and mind you its like 10°F outside and dark), and the doors won't unlock. The buttons on the car and the fob do nothing. The fob lights up but the car doesn't respond. I get in using the metal valet key (which set off the alarm... with no way to turn it off but to wait it out (great)). Car will turn to accessory mode but will not turn over. Great. Call to Mitsubishi roadside and they promptly tell me all they can do is tow it to a dealer. They said it'd take an hour for the truck to get there. So I have them send it. Meanwhile I call the dealership and the service advisor is absolutely clueless. Never heard of such a problem. 2 hours later and no tow truck, I get my girlfriend to drive out (over 40 minutes each way) to bring me the other key. Sure enough that one works flawlessly... What the hell?

Well I gave up on the tow truck and drove home, and have been using the other key until tonight. Now it doesn't work. The FAST Key part of it works, if I hold it up to the door and push the button, but the remote itself doesn't work. The light turns on when a button is pushed, go figure. This "advanced technology" is obviously very prone to problems.

Any ideas what could be going on? I'm already dreading getting the run around from Mitsu.... Ugh.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:14 PM

Oh, and if they recommend to not put it on a metal keyring, that's just ridiculous, because the service department is the first one to toss your key on a metal keyring. The gave them both together on a Mitsu one when I bought the car.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:27 PM

Well here's an update. Took the car to the dealership for the key troubles. They wasted 3 hours of my time and gave up, told me to bring it back tomorrow when they can get me a rental car....

They said they can see in the computer when the keys failed. Key 1 4000 miles ago and Key 2 1000 miles ago and yet they cannot clear the error codes. The car apparently sees the keys but ignores them, yet Key 2 still functions with the FAST key, just not the remote. Irritating.

They allege they've had no issues with FAST keys before and cannot find any TSB on it. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one ever having these issues with it....
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think you may be one of the only ones. I am sure you are the only one at that dealer. You have to be patient with new models. I work on new trucks all the time and we have problems that we can't solve right away and take lots of time.

You just have to be patient while they figure it out. Its not just a simple plug and play issue. They have to troubleshoot it down through wiring/programming/ or eventually an ecu. But hey its covered under warranty so just relax.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:23 PM

Being patient is one thing and I understand if they don't immediately know what's wrong with it, but don't let it drag on stranding me there for 3 hours. That's not exactly what I'd call customer service...

Also, I took it in the next day to drop it off and they said it'd be a while since they're waiting for a part. Why didn't they just tell me to hold off on bringing it in until the part came in? Now I'm stuck in an '07 Ford Focus rental. Guess it could be worse but I'd be really bummed if I owned a $30k Outlander and they put me in a Focus...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:30 PM

Sorry for keeping you waiting on an update:

So i finally got me new fast key and the system has been working fine with either key, and honestly i don't know which one the new one is, i believe the misses has it. I carry the key alone without a key ring or any other keys, hell i even keep it in a seperate pocket than my house keys. just roll 4500 or so.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:10 AM

they need to either reprogram the key to car or replace the fob. mits is having a problem with the fobs for some reason and try and carry only one fob at a time because the system will lose sync. with the fob if it sees both at one time it uses the same type of rolling code tech. as other alarm systems do
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

not sure if this will work or not...but you can always try doing an electrical reset of the system. when ur at home (so you dont get stuck somewhere), disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for 5 minutes or so. then reconnect the battery and everything should work fine. you may lose some settings in ur radio or nav unit, depending on how mitsu saves the settings, but all the important information like the key codes and the mileage and stuff should be safe.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:18 AM

I've got the same exact problems, both of my fast key fobs have been deactivated. In case it wasn't clear in the above posts, to turn your car on with the actual key, you have to put the fob backwards on the head of the key to get the engine to turn over then just slide it off because the fob doesn't click into place or anything on the key. Are you guys sure the warranty will cover the fobs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fast Key not working