Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Official TSB on 2008 Lancer's no-start problem

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
Anyone know if this is also an issue for the 09? Planning to get one this month.
Not sure yet. They just came out, so there aren't many people with 2009s in cold climates yet. I haven't seen any reports on the forum yet, FWIW.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by master.axu
I complained to my dealer about my no-start condition, I even showed them the TSB on this, but they said there is a software update needed that should fix the start problem.

I don't see how a software update can prevent moisture and condesation to form inside the relays.

So I had to wait for like 1.5 hours at the dealer for that and an oil change.

It says on the paper they gave me, that they performed TSB SOFTWARE UPDATE #0813004.

Anyone ever heard about this or it's just bogus? All I wanted was those relays to be replaced since it is such a well known problem.

Now I'm waiting for a hot humid day to test it, but I'm almost sure the "software update" was just bogus to save some money on those relays.
For people wondering, this TSB does mention a reprogramming. So they might be referring to that.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was just at my dealer today for this issue and they showed me a tsb that was dated april 2008 but i forgot the number for the no start multiple crank issue and it was a reprogramming and he said there was no tsb for the relays. i will let you guys know if it ever does it again. the guy also programmed my tpms on my summer rims no charge.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by WhiteGTS18
was just at my dealer today for this issue and they showed me a tsb that was dated april 2008 but i forgot the number for the no start multiple crank issue and it was a reprogramming and he said there was no tsb for the relays. i will let you guys know if it ever does it again. the guy also programmed my tpms on my summer rims no charge.
No TSB on the relays? Bull. We have it posted here on EvoM!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

yeah i know i should of printed it out and showed them. oh well this is a really new tsb so maybe it fixes other things in the ecu too. im guessing it could be the same program for the 09 lancers but who knows.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

the no start tsb only affects a certain build date of cars. Maybe your car was outside of the build date and when they searched your vin there wasn't any tsb for relay's? Anyone thought of that yet?
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ TSB's dont get fixed unless there is a documented problem.

Mitsu will not pay the dealer unless they have documented proof that your car had the issue. They almost didnt fix this on mine because they said that I didnt tell them about it before hand. I asked if the day I called the other service advisor and yelled at her that my brand new car wasn't starting at -40 was not sufficient.

They fixed it right away.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:52 PM

hey my 08 lancer es didnt start till like the second or third time i started it up and its fine but i took it to a dealer and they told me nothing was wrong that it was just a cold start but i know it isnt that kuz it happenes if it just ran then waited like 5 minutes. is this the same problem or is it something totally different?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's the same issue. You might need the reflash and/or relays installed.

My car just failed to start on the first try on its first start up of the day two mornings in a row. I may have to put my stock intake back on and take it in for the reflash + relays...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 08:47 PM

sorry to revive it but...

obviously this problem was at least a big problem at some point...

i just recently saw on here about this tsb - and decided to get my car scheduled for the ecu reflash. ended up getting an intake between the time i had the no-start, and when its scheduled for (tomorrow, the 21st)

now i know it really depends on the dealer (which mine is a PITA) but has anyone taken in a car for a no-start problem with an aftermarket intake? do you think it'd be alright that i'd do that? or do you just think i should put the stock back on for an hour...

i'd go right ahead with doing that, but i scheduled it for right after work tmrw, and i get up and go straight to work, so...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 01:57 PM

Its Funny I think I was one of the first set of people to get the new Lancer 2008.
Within the first week I contacted my dealer telling them to check the car because one day it did not start. I cranked it would not start I stopped gave it 20 seconds then tried again Eureka it starts . I went to the dealership and told them hey my brand new car would not start. They were of course unable to replicate the problem. From there on almost every 3 months or so I had the problem. Obviously since I am a show off with my car it was quite embarassing. After seeing this TSB. I immediately carried the car to the delaership. All they did was the ECU Reflash amongst another problem I had where the front windows were loose turns out the link between the glass and the actuator was missing 1 bolt on each window. That is weird and the ones that were holding it were loose. they tightened the existing ones and put new bolts in. Blacksheep and others keep up the good job moderating the site and posting these TSB.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:17 PM

Wow I cant believe this car, or any car works at -28! I hope I dont have to worry about this here in Alabama.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:12 AM

i went to the dealer the other day and told them about my issue so they went directly to update the ecu accourding to the TSB 08-13-004. Car runs much smoother now, overall just better. the mechanic said that my ecu was way outdated and really needed a flash.

But i still have to go back so they can fix my power steering!!!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking this may be an issue on the '09s as well. my friend just had this happen to her today. Its isnt even that cold out here yet. also wen it started the temp gauge immediate jumped close to H held for a bit and eventually dropped off to cold.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:16 AM

Not convinced

The TSB says extreme cold weather... I like many of the people here, mainly have problems in rather mild weather, and never had any problem in -18 to -20 range it's been at the coldest parts of winter.

I'm guessing all your cars start when you try a second time... mine does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official TSB on 2008 Lancer's no-start problem