Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

FAST Key - Key Fob TSB *IMPORTANT*

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAST Key - Key Fob TSB *IMPORTANT*

Hey guys,

The other night I stopped at QuikTrip with a friend to grab a drink. When I came out I went to get in my car like I always do and the door wouldn't unlock... I reach in my pocket and try pushing the button on the key fob and nothing. At this point I'm going, "WTF, it just worked 5 minutes ago!" I take out my Emergency key and the door won't unlock with that. After I and my friends try for 5 minutes trying to unlock the door with the emergency key we ask the 5 Glendale Cops parked next to us if they have a slim jim for unlocking it , they say this is against policy. I remember that I have Mitsubishi Emergency Road Service and call them up. Shaniqua tells me they are dispatching someone to unlock my doors and that it will take up to 55 minutes. 20 minutes later a silver pt cruiser pulls up and out comes the guy with the air cuff and unlocking stick. Once we get the car open the car won't start with the emergency key because of the Engine Immobilizer, you can hear the initial clicking(the security system running checks). At this point I realize that it's not recognizing the key fob at all, keep in mind that the red light on the fob lights up when you push any of the buttons so I knew that the battery wasn't dead. The guy with the lockout service calls Mitsubishi with my roadside service card and they tell them there's nothing he can do and to give the phone back to me. Shaniqua proceeds to tell me that they need to dispatch a tow truck to have my car towed to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership because there is no override for a FAST Key failure. About 30 minutes later the tow truck shows up and we get it loaded up. The tow truck guy is planning to take my car to the impound lot after he drops us off because Mark Mitsubishi does not have a night drop(they block both entrances to the dealership with cars at night). When I get home I remember that I have my second key fob in my drawer and ask him to wait while I run in to get it... guess what? It works just fine. He lets me back my car off the back of the tow truck and tells me that if Mitsu asks he dropped it off at the dealership and not my house... cool guy. The next morning I take my car and both fobs to the dealership and after 30 minutes the tech comes out and shows me a TSB regarding Key fobs and them being erased by cell phones. He tells me that he's ordered 2 new key fobs that should be improved and tells me not to keep my second one around my cell phone while we wait for the new ones to come in. I ask them again about a possible override if this were to ever happen again and they confirm that there isn't one... so if you are ever in the middle of no where and your FAST key fails, you won't be going anywhere FAST.

Cliffs:
-FAST key stopped working
-Emergency key did not work to open the door or start the car because of security measures in place(eg. Engine Immobilizer)
-Mitsubishi has no work around or override if your FAST key does fail
-You car has to be towed to the nearest Mitsu dealership if your FAST key fails
-TSB is out regarding FAST Key key fobs, you should be able to get your old ones replaced!
-I can't wait until after OSUT and ABN training so I can get rid of this junk heap for a new Chevy Camaro 09.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F.A.S.T. KEY DOES NOT FUNCTION IN KEYLESS OPERATION SYSTEM (K.O.S.) MODE
No: TSB-08-42A-013
DATE: July, 2008
MODEL: See Below,
CIRCULATE TO:
[ ] GENERAL MANAGER
[ X ] PARTS MANAGER
[ X ] TECHNICIAN
[ X ] SERVICE ADVISOR
[ X ] SERVICE MANAGER
[ X ] WARRANTY PROCESSOR
[] SALES MANAGER
PURPOSE

Some customers of affected vehicles may complain they are unable to operate the Keyless Operation System (K.O.S.) using the F.A.S.T. key feature. The F.A.S.T. key (fob) may have lost its programming due to data in its memory being erased by electrical interference from a device such as a mobile phone. This can occur if the two devices are kept in close proximity to each other.
Should you confirm the condition, replace both of the customer's F.A.S.T. keys with improved parts that will reduce the possibility of accidental erasure of coded data due to electrical interference.
AFFECTED VEHICLE(S)

2008 Outlander
2008-09 Lancer
2008 Lancer Evolution
Affected vehicles built prior to May, 2008.
REPAIR PROCEDURE

The following conditions must be confirmed in an environment that is free from interference from electronic accessories, mobile phones, or facilities emitting strong electrical signals that could affect K.O.S. communication.

* You are unable to turn the ignition knob from the "Lock" position. Also, "Missing Key" is displayed on the MID screen when trying to turn the ignition knob.
* Generally, no DTCs will be stored in the PCM, however, DTC B1A08, B1A09, B1A0A or B1A0B may be stored in some occasions. If DTCs other than these are stored in PCM memory, do not continue with this TSB. Diagnose and repair per the service manual.

Replace the F.A.S.T. keys with an improved part if your evaluation confirms BOTH of these conditions. Refer to the service manual or the AESP (Advanced Electrical Service Procedures) study manual and use the MUT-III to register the new F.A.S.T. keys to the vehicle. Remember to register RKE functions for the new keys as well.
Customers should be reminded that the emergency key stored in the F.A.S.T. key can be used to start the vehicle when the K.O.S. system is not functioning. Dealers should advise customers to to review their owner's manual for instructions to prevent unnecessary towing in the future. See below.

PART INFORMATION

Use the Genuine Mitsubishi Parts listed below.
Part # Description Quantity
8637A228: Key, Keyless Operation Blank - Lancer/Lancer Evolution: 2
8637A316: Key, Keyless Operation Blank - Outlander: 2

!!IMPORTANT!! Replacement F.A.S.T. key blanks DO NOT include the emergency key. Transfer the customer's emergency keys to the new F.A.S.T. keys.
WARRANTY INFORMATION

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization to repair. Repairs should be performed on a complaint basis only. If an affected vehicle is observed with the described condition, diagnose the condition, repair as described in this bulletin and submit a normal warranty claim using the following information.
Replacement of Two (2) F.A.S.T. Keys
Nature Code: 02A
Cause Code: 270
Labor Operation No. 42871710
Time Allowance: 0.3 hr.
Warranty Coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles, New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Special Warranty Information: Normal warranty procedures apply.
NOTE: This condition will only occur when the F.A.S.T. key has been in the close proximity of certain devices that emit strong electrical signals. DO NOT replace the transmitter unless the conditions outlined in the Repair Procedure can be confirmed. Warranty claims for the replacement of F.A.S.T. keys that are determined to be "No Fault Found" are subject to chargeback.

So basically you have to wait until you get stranded to get a replacement set...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

That's a bunch of BS, if I had an early key and read this post I'd be inclined to try stressing the key fob with my cell phone to see if I could get it to fail so I could get it replaced before I got stranded. That's BS.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

So basically they will only replace the FOB's AFTER yours eff's up and you get stranded then have the car towed to the dealer? I agree with Nathan, that's a bunch of bs.

I work 45 miles away from my house in a different state and just the thought of getting stuck at work after a long day because of "electrical interference" gives me a headache. They should just recall all previous FOB's and replace them.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

-I can't wait until after OSUT and ABN training so I can get rid of this junk heap for a new Chevy Camaro 09.
Better get that chebbie pretty quick cause GM is going under FAST.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
Better get that chebbie pretty quick cause GM is going under FAST.
I think they will pull through. If anything the Camaro will keep them afloat once it comes out around March. Much better value then our lancers.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:40 AM

Regarding the emergency key usage, your engine would have started and you wouldn't have needed to be towed if you inserted the key backwards into the keyfob. The FAST system and the immobilizer RFID chip are both in the keyfob, but entirely separate circuits (for good reason!). The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual.

However, what was the deal with it not unlocking your front door with the metal key? That sounds extremely weird.

Customers should be reminded that the emergency key stored in the F.A.S.T. key can be used to start the vehicle when the K.O.S. system is not functioning. Dealers should advise customers to to review their owner's manual for instructions to prevent unnecessary towing in the future. See below.

Last edited by brian360; Nov 22, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Here is how it should look. Key must be in the fob to start the car manually. (credit goes to wickedchimp)

Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

yup. i always keep my cellphone away from any electronic hardwares.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brian360
Regarding the emergency key usage, your engine would have started and you wouldn't have needed to be towed if you inserted the key backwards into the keyfob. The FAST system and the immobilizer RFID chip are both in the keyfob, but entirely separate circuits (for good reason!). The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual.

However, what was the deal with it not unlocking your front door with the metal key? That sounds extremely weird.
I found that out just yesterday after I found a thread over on the Evo side regarding this. Funny that neither Mitsu Emergency Roadside support or the dealership tech or service manager knew about the proper placement of the emergency key / key fob to get it to work. In addition I'm thinking the manual lock in my door is busted and that's why it didn't work. No idea why it's busted since I've never used it before..
Old May 3, 2011, 11:57 AM

Bringing this back from the dead. My car just gave me a notification indicating that my FAST key's battery is dying. Not bad I guess after 3 years of use. I have my spare key to use as well. But I think it will cost like $300 to replace one of these. Hopefully that won't be the case for another 2-3 years.

To all FAST key owners - how long did you first key last you since you purchased your car?
Old May 3, 2011, 12:01 PM

Found a link from another forum that had someone's previous experience with the FAST key. From beginning to end when it died:

http://www.***************/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39240
Old May 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spydahman
Bringing this back from the dead. My car just gave me a notification indicating that my FAST key's battery is dying. Not bad I guess after 3 years of use. I have my spare key to use as well. But I think it will cost like $300 to replace one of these. Hopefully that won't be the case for another 2-3 years.

To all FAST key owners - how long did you first key last you since you purchased your car?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could replace the battery. Isn't it similar to a watch battery?
Old May 4, 2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by spydahman

Mine died just last month. Consult your owners manual for the exact battery type, but it is just the replacement of a watch battery and is easy to do yourself.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:19 PM

I'm curious what they define as close Proximity? Like say you have a cell phone on your belt and your key is in your pocket (Front or back) same side as the phone. Will that kill it?

Quick Reply: FAST Key - Key Fob TSB *IMPORTANT*