Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

No go from brembos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No go from brembos

Well this sucks big time, tried out the front evo spindles for the brembos on my 03 lancer oz and the splines on the lancer driveshafts are much to small for the bearing inside the evo splines.

So now what?
Can I use ralliart driveshafts since I know guys have done the swap on ralliarts, or are they to long or wont fit into my tranny?

Or will I have to use ralliart outer shafts with my oz inners? Is that even possible?

Or possibly a third option I cant think of.

Please help someone!!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Contact MarkOJ. I'm pretty sure he's using the brembos
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...I know some people have put the evo brembos on RA's so it must be possible somehow. I'd like to know myself
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You could possibly swap to the RA parts but don't forget they have a different bolt pattern meaning you'd need new wheels as well. I also don't know if the RA axles with attach to the transmission. If you just want bigger brakes, go for a front big brake kit (Wilwood or RPW) and the RPW rear disc conversion.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
sounds like custom axles are in your future.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotime
Well this sucks big time, tried out the front evo spindles for the brembos on my 03 lancer oz and the splines on the lancer driveshafts are much to small for the bearing inside the evo splines.

So now what?
Can I use ralliart driveshafts since I know guys have done the swap on ralliarts, or are they to long or wont fit into my tranny?

Or will I have to use ralliart outer shafts with my oz inners? Is that even possible?

Or possibly a third option I cant think of.

Please help someone!!
The Ralliart and Lancer share the same wheel bearing and have the same spline on the outers. I've performed a 5-lug conversion on my OZ using Ralliart hubs on my Lancer spindles since the spindles are the same also. I'm still using my stock Lancer axles. Like amby said, go with the Wilwood BBK.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:04 PM
Account Disabled

Ok so your saying that even if I went with ralliart drivshafts the splines would still be to small for the evo spindles since they are the same as the oz?

I thought someone did a front spindle swap on a ralliart and used their regular driveshafts.
I'm not going Willwood, so will I have to use ralliart front hubs? Will the evo calipers bolt to them?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotime
Ok so your saying that even if I went with ralliart drivshafts the splines would still be to small for the evo spindles since they are the same as the oz?

I thought someone did a front spindle swap on a ralliart and used their regular driveshafts.
I'm not going Willwood, so will I have to use ralliart front hubs? Will the evo calipers bolt to them?
You wouldn't be able to use the complete p/s axle from the Ralliart since the Ralliart has an intermediate shaft.

MarkOJ performed an Evo front spindle swap, but he also swapped in the 4G63 motor and steering rack with the swap.

The Evo calipers will NOT fit the Ralliart front spindles because the Lancer and Ralliart front spindles are the exact same part. What you can do is swap for 2G Eclipse GSX front calipers that are dual piston. I highly recommend the Wilwood front BBK, however. It works very well and stops my Lancer very quick and very smooth.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
Account Disabled

ok so it seems like you guys are right the ralliart shaft has the same splines and size as the oz.
Looks like I need to have some custom spindles made. I am first going to see if the ralliart spindle will fit into the evo bearing. I doubt it from the pictures but you never know.
The oz and ralliart bearing although the same will for sure not fit into the evo knuckles.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

so after further examination, the oz and ralliart use the same knuckles and bearing. The only diffrence is the spindles, one is 4 bolt and one is 5. both splines and shaft diameter are the same. I also found the hole in the bottem of the evo knuckles where the ball joint goes is much larger then the stock ball joint. I'm running evo control arms so this poses no problems for me. I'm having custom spindles machined at this point since it seems as though there is no other solution. I will post up a video once my car comes back from the body shop.
Just a FYI for anyone out there wonder about the brembo swap for the lancer.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Why not just get Wilwoods or RPWs for the front? It seems like a lot of hassle just to increase braking a bit. Remember, most braking force comes from the tires.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

At that much trouble, isn't it cheaper and easier to just get a BBK?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Instead of having the spindles machined, the easier way would be to have a bracket made up to fit the Evo Brembo caliper to the Lancer caliper mount holes on the spindle. This is how the Wilwood BBK mounts the 4-piston caliper to the stock Lancer spindle.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there no way to use the evo spindles with ralliart hubs?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

nope none. The evo spindle sits in the bearing/hub as one piece which bolts into the knuckle.
The oz, es and ralliart bearings press into the knuckle I think and are 2 pieces.

Quick Reply: No go from brembos