Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Taillight Electrical Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taillight Electrical Help

Hi Guys/Girls,

I just blacked out my taillights 2 weeks ago and i just noticed that the left side of my truck lid lights aren't working. I did the obvious things like...

1. Checked light bulbs to see if they were burnt (both reverse light and tail light filaments are intact and not separated)
2. I ruled out fuse since the other side of the trunk lid lights still work but I double checked anyways and the fuse is good.
3. Checked to make sure connections were solid and not loose.

Then when I checked the output voltage using a multimeter, I found no reading. So I got a hold of the electrical diagram for the taillights.

Taillight Electrical Help-taillight-circuit-diagram2.jpg

I am having a bit of trouble reading the diagram. If anybody could help that would be awesome. The things I wanted to know about the diagram is what does the letters stand for in the point brackets ex/ "<F>". I know the standard brackets with the letter denotes color of cable. Also there are some "S0##" circled with an oval, what do those mean?

If anybody could help with tips of troubleshooting that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:05 AM

After more research on the diagram, i found out that the "<F>" basically stands for flexible wire and the "S0XX" is the splice location identification. I have found more diagrams and will post my diagnostic report once completed, incase anybody else has the same problem.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:06 PM

im having this same issue now, basically I turn my lights on as if im driving at night, and they'll turn on, but ill get to my destination and the whole left side assembly will be out. Fuses good, bulbs good, connections good, yet I cant find where the short, if that, is coming from
Old Sep 25, 2014, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
#1 check the ground and inspect wire closely (since you disturbed the connection). Look for chaffing or kinks/pinches.
#2 closely inspect the connector itself for a recessed or missing pin.
#3 check for voltage at the Joint Connector (J4).