Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer backfiring

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer backfiring

Yesterday I was letting my engine slow my car down in second gear from about 5k rpms or so and I heard a loud BANG. Honestly I thought it came from the engine compartment but it was so loud and surprising it could have been from anywhere (backfire from the exhaust was my initial thought). Later in the day I emulated the effect and heard a softer bang. Its not a series of pops like you'd hear on an aggressively tuned car, but just one loud bang like I've heard a couple times on my dad's 78 f250 after leaving the choke on I think

My spark plugs and coils are aging, could that create the problem? What else could be causing this? should I be worried?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

yea its usually caused by unburned fuel or if the valves aint closing in time or sitting right, you might wanna change the coils and plugs see if that works if not you might be looking at a valve job. oh not sure what mods you have but when the timing was off on my mustang it back fired so maybe your timing if you have those adjustable cam gears...

Last edited by lil' jeff; Sep 29, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
if you either have a turbo hitting redline while in boost it will make that popping noise, or if you have a custom exhaust from the catback it will make that sound. It sounds cooler with the turbo because its more aggressive but thats it
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:58 PM

My Evo X does it all the time when coming off the throttle at low speeds. My gf hates it but I love it, just unburned fuel blowing up in the exhaust basically. My old Evo VIII used to never do it, I swear its something to do with dual exit pipes. I have full exhaust, I dont believe a stock one should or even would do it.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

I've got an axleback exhaust and hear popping pretty regularly in those situations^ but this was different. This was one LOUD bang, not several small ones... I plan on changing my spark plugs and coils soon but was wondering if that would fix the problem

Any good brands of spark plugs/coils you recommend?