Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Rear speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speakers not working

In no way are my rear speakers working. i have messed with the balance and fade and no sound at all comes from the rear speakers. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:34 AM

Some things to check:

Is there sound coming out of any speakers? if not, then it may be your Radio/Head Unit.

Sometimes the wires behind the head unit loosen up and may need to be wiggled or replaced. Thats what happens to mine alot when the rear speakers go out, i just wiggle the loose cords and it works again.

When did this problem start?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:42 AM

There is no sound from the speakers and it has been like this since i bought the car about a month ago. I plan to replace the whole system, but I dont know where to start. Any help on how to get to the stero and the door speakers would be greatly apperciated!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:18 AM

To get the stereo out, you pull off the three A/C knobs on the front, and take out the two small screws under the temp selector & panel/floor selector switch with a phillips screwdriver. Then the plastic around the stereo should just pull off.

After that you take the four screws off the plates on both sides of your head unit and the head unit will come out. If you replace the head unit, you'll need to unscrew these plates from the side of the radio and screw them into the new one. You won't need any special dash kit even if they try to sell you one, an aftermarket radio will fit like it is.

As far as your door panels go, if i remember correctly, you take the little plastic cover off from under the door handle to reveal a screw, take this screw out. Then you take another screw off the handle you use to pull the door shut (for the back door panels at least), and then look for any other screws and take those out, but i think its just one or two. Then you start at the side and slowly start popping the clips outward. Take your time and just go along the edge and pop them out one by one, then unplug the window switch and your set. There should be four screws around the speaker.

To replace the back speakers, you have to take off the rear deck panel and then you can get to the speakers underneath. You'll have to take the seatbelt off but its not too difficult.

If your wires aren't working, I'd run new wires from the back of the head unit back to the rear speakers to see if that fixes it.

If you plan on replacing the whole system, you need to decide what you want first. Main things are Head Unit, Speakers, Subs. Your most likely going to need a new head unit no matter what, the stock one really isn't all that great. They make all types though, ones with bluetooth to hook up to a phone, ones with adapters to plug ipod's straight in, usb ports to play music off a usb drive, ones with 7" screens, and normal aftermarket head units.

What kind of a system do you want?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks. I plan on getting a stero with an auxilary import and a usb or SD import. Blutooth isnt totally necessary... Currently I am looking at two 8" Kicker subs with 2 ohms resistance the RMS has to be about 150-300 watts and i will get an apprioate sized amp and maybe a capacitor too (not sure on that yet, i will see how th system sounds first). The only part of my system i am not sure of yet is what i want to replace the factory speakers with and if i should connect them to an amplifier (is it really worth the time). so yeah, thats pretty much my ideal strero system.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:26 AM

Awesome, good luck to you! Amazon and ebay are lifesavers when it comes to saving money on stereo equipment.