Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

The whole car is shaking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Asap

Help need some info, Driving tonite car shacking at 55 mph. Any possible reason's why? It's only have 8169 miles it's a 5 speed. I think it might be transmission it is over do on oil change anout 1000 miles was waiteing to get paid this friday to get change I been Broke as hell. Also this is my frist stick shift, I my memoary is correct you do have to press the clutch in every time you down shift correct? Friend drove it to feel shacks, he noticed that he didn't need to press clutch in to down shift thats why he thinks it might be tranny. Please help I need my car, and don't really have alot of money at the moment.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

so you downshifted without pushing in the clutch...?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

I don't drive a stick, but I have driven my best friends car which is a stick...and how in the HELL can you downshift w/out pressin the clutch in??
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:45 PM

you probably just need to get you tire balanced if its over 55mph
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:47 PM

Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between
the car's under warranty, correct?....so, what's the problem?....take it to the dealer and make 'em FIX whatever's wrong!

can you describe the "shaking" a little more?...does it happen at a particular speed?..can you feel it through the steering wheel??...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:25 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like you need one (or both) of the following:

- 4 wheel alignment ($40-60)

- Tire balancing ($30-50)

Originally posted by Dem1K
I don't drive a stick, but I have driven my best friends car which is a stick...and how in the HELL can you downshift w/out pressin the clutch in??
Since the gears are syncro'ed (except for 1st) you can shift without the clutch if you really try, but such a rapid change in RPMs would damage the syncros and gears. I don't recommend doing that EVER AGAIN!!!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:30 PM
Account Disabled

I think it's ok to downshift without clutching as long as u rev-match before u complete downshift
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

U can downshift without the clutch, but it isn't great for the tranny. When u are in gear and driving down the road to downshift without the clutch u have to then put the car in neutral then rev the rpms up to match the increase in rpms with the change in gears, as Iamkar33m said. And then u can put the car in a lower gear.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

i think the problem is the wheels have become unbalanced or is in need of a realignment.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Or you've tossed a wheel bearing...no matter what, the dealer will fix it since you're under warranty.

And don't downshift without clutching anymore. Rev-matching is cool and all, but you're gonna end up stranded on the shoulder somewhere and have nobody to blame but the people stupid enough to downshift a daily driver without the clutch.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

So it's either the alignment, tire balance, or I tossed a wheel bearing? Thanks for the info. I do downshift with the clutch, Like I said it's my daily driver, it's the only car in my family right now so I can't really aford to f- up the car. I can feel the shaking through the steering wheel, it happens at around 50 mph. Do you think I can hold off on more day? I don't get paid tomarrow, and like I said I don't have 2 dollars to my name. (Hospital bills were pretty high )
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

should be able to... mine had the same problem but it was due to the fact that my 2 front tires were bald and uneven, so i got new tires to fix my problem seems to me that if its only happening around 55mph seems to be alignment.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:47 AM
jtc
Evolving Member

Shifting without clutch & rev-matching:
http://www.epinions.com/content_2022678660

You probably did it accidentally without knowing.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:10 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

You should be ok another day. All you're doing is wearing the tires a little more than normal. It's probably only a wheel bearing if you drive like a bat out of hell. Usually you will hear a grinding around a hard corner if it's a bearing, but I haven't needed to repack a wheel bearing after 30k and I autocross the thing!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

my wheel has a ding in it from my accident(waiting on one to come in) and at about 60 it shakes from where the ding warps the tire a lil bit. insurence is soooo slow.

Quick Reply: The whole car is shaking