Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

02' Lancer front passenger window problems

Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' Lancer front passenger window problems

I know I have posted about this awhile back, but the focus is different.

Problem: Front passenger window will go down, but not up.

Solutions tried:

1. Replaced window regulator/motor. Same issue.

2. Replaced window switch. Same issue.

3. Checked the voltages going to the window motor and when I press down I get 12vdc and the other is a negative (two wires going to the window regulator). Now when I press up I get 12vdc on both wires. I am not sure what to make of this (short or open), I measured the voltages on the driver side and 12vdc was present on only one wire when pressed up and vise versa down.

4. I checked the continuity between all the wires to the fuse panel and all are clean.

I am now thinking that it could be the relay for some reason. I do not think it can be a ground issue because that would effect more than just the window going up. I also checked the motor with the driver side window and it goes up and down just fine. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Mark
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

You could give it a shot, they're pretty cheap and if that's the problem you'll know it as soon as the new one is in. But, I'm kind of skeptical as there's only one relay for the entire system, I'd think that you'd have problems with more than just one window if that were the case. Hopefully someone can chime in, my strong points are motors and transmissions, not so much electrical.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 04:02 PM

^^^Thanks for the input. I initially thought the same about the one relay controlling all of the windows. I have literally tried everything for this issue and I am so dumbfounded as to what the problem could be.

Here is the result of my madness...

Old Jun 25, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

OMG!!! For sanity's sake I REALLY hope you figure this out.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:09 PM

Anybody have any idea why I would have 12v on both wires when I press the down signal? So I am getting a down signal and up signal at the same time not sure why this is happening? Any help?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:14 PM

So I figured if I post pictures then I may snag someones attention. This is the DRIVER's side switch. As you can see the terminals look slightly corroded in a way. All switches are functional except the passenger switch. I also seen two relays on the other side of the circuit board. I am thinking that one of those may be bad. The thing is I do not have any extra switches to try. Another issue I am having is the radiator fans kick on randomly with the engine not turned on. If I have the key turned to AC it does this. I can not see any alterations to wiring making it kick on randomly (maybe it is the relay).
Old Jun 29, 2014, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

As far as the solder points on the back of the board, I don't know for sure, but I'll talk with one of the mechs. at my job tomorrow who specializes in electrical work. With the fans, they shouldn't come on like that if they're not getting the signal from the coolant temp sensor that the temp is something like 210 degrees(not sure on actual temp). If you had the motor warmed up and shut it off and turned the key to the on position after sitting for a min. or two it may trigger the fans to start. I have no problems with my system, so I'll see if mine does it as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I would dare to say if that's from the driver side then the little bit of rust probably isn't doing anything. I would try switching the positions of the relays on the back of the driver side switch and see if the non working window changes, if so you've confirmed a bad relay. The downside is I have absolutely no idea where you could get those from except a dealer or junkyard. I checked alldata and I can't even find a part # for those. Also my fans didn't come when I turned the key to acc with the motor up to operating temp so I really couldn't give you any advice on that.

Last edited by RT78; Jun 29, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 05:11 PM

Exclamation

The unfortunate part for the relays is that they do not come off. I am currently searching for a used one (Hawaii of all places). This one salvage yard has a used one but wants $115 for it.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:25 AM

Ok so for anybody that cares lol, I put everything back together and just ordered the main driver window switch off ebay for $30. But now the rear driver side window isn't working, from the door itself and the driver door switch. So now this is for sure making me think the issue is the driver side door switch. Any ideas?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry man, I'm completely out of em. Since everything is back together and you have a new main switch coming in, mine as well wait for the new switch and throw it in and see what happens.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Your window lock button on your drivers door could be shorting out
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My fans do the same thing and always done that. I have no problems. It looks like some of the solder points are corroded together as well. I would clean all the corrosion off of those and make sure that it's not completing a connection between 2 solder points. If you follow lines on a circuit board, you can clearly tell that they can't touch each other
Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:39 PM

Talking

Finally received the driver-side window switch! All that trouble for the DRIVER side window switch to be bad. The solder points should of threw a red flag to begin with. I am pretty sure this car had a previous short/surge somewhere and blew a bunch of bulbs and what not. Let this be a lesson for all the T/S out there! The passenger window power goes through a relay in the driver side window switch board. If all else fails I would look in to the window switches (i.e. regulator, motor etc.)

The window going up! =)