Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HELP! Battery drain and blower motor will not stop

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Battery drain and blower motor will not stop

A few weeks back I had to replace my optima yellow top battery because the negative terminal was coming apart. The guy at O'rielly Auto parts convinced me to get the glass mat battery they sell. This may all be coincidence but I need to fix it ASAP. My battery is now being drained over several days and I am afraid its going to kill a brand new battery.
The head lights will not cut off automatically like they used to, and the a/c blower motor will not cut off when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.

I can cut the lights off with the switch and deal with that. However, the blower motor can be turned to the off position and the battery still drains. Here are my theories and what I have tried, but none of them make sense now.

I have swapped the relay that is under the steering wheel for another one and the blower still runs without the key. Therefore, I assume the relay is still good. I have unplugged the resistor behind the glove box and it will still run on high speed. This makes me think the resistor is still good and that the power is being sent from somewhere else. I have unplugged the blower overnight and the battery still drained, so again the power is being drawn from some other component. I have considered maybe the ignition switch is faulty, but the radio and other electronics cut off like they are supposed to. I am lost now! Is there another component that I am missing? Where else would the power come from?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:26 PM

Same issue here!

Dude, I have EXACTLY the same issue on my 2003 Lancer ES. I just posted about it. Check it out!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ery-drain.html

So, did you ever find out what was causing your problem?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
If you do a parasitic draw test you should find where your problem is coming from. Here's a link on youtube to help you perform this test:
Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:20 PM

Mine wound up being a stuck relay under the hood. Beside the big fuse box. There is a smaller rectangle shaped box that pops open. There are several relays inside there. I pulled them all and reseated them. One of them was the problem. It's went away after that and hasn't been back (knock on wood)