Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Instrument cluster and interior lights not working

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instrument cluster and interior lights not working

I have an 2002 Lancer ES. Right after buying it the instrument cluster completely stopped working along with all interior lights from all dash lights, dome light even gear shift back lights. I've checked fuses and replaced just to be on the safe side all associated with interior lights. No auto shops will touch it and the dealership wants to start off charging me $687 for replacing the instrument cluster then, like that's not enough, an unknown amount for continued troubleshooting if that doesn't solve the issue. Please help or I believe I'll have to part with her before we even really got acquainted.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's the dimmer switch. Read thru this thread and try out what I posted on page 2. Just be careful when doing it. When I was trying to figure out wire schematics I did blow the fuse.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...t-working.html
Old Apr 9, 2015, 01:06 AM

I had read through that before I made the post. I will try that on my next day off ie friday. If it is the dimmer switch would it cause the instrument cluster not to work at all? Just to be clear none of the gauges work or light up. Thank you for the quick feedback and I will try the jumper on the dimmer switch.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry I read over you post real quick. No, the only thing that the dimmer switch would control is the back lighting when you have the headlights on. One would assume that the cluster would be bad, but I don't see how that would make the dome light to stop working. Sounds like you might have a short somewhere. Does anything at all work in the interior? Have you done anything to the car before the issue or has anyone else done a radio install or anything that would involve wiring?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 08:10 PM

It doesn't appear to have had any electrical work. I plan on doing some looking with the voltmeter but, That is definitely not my strong suit.