Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Parasitic Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Parasitic Battery Drain (SOLVED)

My 2009 Lancer ES started draining batteries consistently a month or so ago every few days.

I put an ammeter on the negative side between the battery post and the negative battery wire. I observed a .409-.425 fluctuating amp draw with the key out of the ignition.

I pulled the yellow fuse puller positioned over the IOD circuit in the under hood fuse box. The ammeter dropped to .02 amps drawn shortly thereafter. Viola!

Plugged the IOD fuse back in to the under hood fuse box, left the ammeter connected, and started pulling fuses in the "in car" fuse panel.

(see attached diagram of the in car fuse panel)

No amperage drops were recorded on the ammeter until I pulled fuse #7 15AMP. The amps dropped down to .02

The radio circuit was the culprit. Now i am getting somewhere.

To further isolate the drain, I plugged fuse #7 back in, the parasitic draw recommenced. I then unplugged the factory stereo amplifier under the drivers seat, but to no avail; the ammeter still detected .409-.425 amp power drain

I have not gone past this point in the ongoing investigation. Could it be somewhere else other than the radio?
I read another poster from a different website mention that if they turned OFF the radio and A/C first BEFORE they leave the car and only then remove the key from the ignition, it will cease to drain parasitically? Gonna try this claim tomorrow. That would presume that the factory radio is somehow staying on after it should normally shut off by itself....hmmmm....a faulty Integrated circuit?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Parasitic Battery Drain-2009-lancer-car-fuse-panel.gif  

Last edited by JTJB; May 28, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
That fuse #7 15 A rating has 5 devices including the audio system. Is there a way to trace to the radio and unplug it? I see you tried the amp but no change. Head unit is next.
You would have to go by process of elimination afterwards.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by whtrice
That fuse #7 15 A rating has 5 devices including the audio system. Is there a way to trace to the radio and unplug it? I see you tried the amp but no change. Head unit is next.
You would have to go by process of elimination afterwards.
I removed the radio/hazard light bezel this afternoon before I had to stop due to prior obligations. The head unit is still plugged in. I will test the #7 15A circuit tomorrow with JUST the bezel removed, then remove the head unit next. If its the head unit, I will order an aftermarket bezel and radio.

Failing the actual radio being the drain, I'm not sure what other items to check on the #7 radio circuit?.....communications device?....i assume that means optional Bluetooth connectivity? I see NO Bluetooth icons anywhere in the car...should there be icons on the dash/radio if it is on board? Does the 2009 Lancer "ES" version even come with the Bluetooth feature?

The reason why the Bluetooth device concerns me is that I have read on other posts today that their Bluetooth device was causing a drain and had to have a mechanic wire a bypass circuit around it instead of rectifying it...no directions were provided.

Regards

Last edited by JTJB; Apr 19, 2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:17 AM

Problem solved.

The radio nor the bezel was the culprit. It was the Bluetooth module located in the dash directly above the glove box.

It was cooking hot!

I unplugged the module and my amp draw is now .02 AMPS

No new Bluetooth module will be reinstalled.
The following users liked this post:
Trevwaaa (Feb 16, 2024)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JTJB
Problem solved.

The radio nor the bezel was the culprit. It was the Bluetooth module located in the dash directly above the glove box.

It was cooking hot!

Good find..... So that was one of the components in that fuse circuit as well.
(MMCS) Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System
Old Apr 20, 2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been trying to solve the same exact problem. Can you post a pic of how to unplug the bluetooth module as I see a few different components I could unplug.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Great work on isolating the parasitic drain. You were very methodical in your search.

A Faulty OEM bluetooth module.

Definitely want to be at or under 80mA as your cars resting consumption current.

-pal215
Old Apr 20, 2016, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crockettman
I have been trying to solve the same exact problem. Can you post a pic of how to unplug the bluetooth module as I see a few different components I could unplug.
I can do you one better....my son was so pleased I fixed his car before his weekend date, he offered to make me this edited you tube video for your viewing pleasure.

Regards, Jason

The following users liked this post:
whtrice (Apr 21, 2016)
Old Apr 21, 2016, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

I motion this be stickied!!!! Well done Jason
Old Apr 21, 2016, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, reading this was pretty legit!

I was really intrigued by your process of tracking things down
Old Apr 21, 2016, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for sticky..Mods?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 06:18 AM

Incredible job tracking that down......my wife's Lancer has the same problem.......there's not a ton of information available on almost anything to do with a "Miss *****y" so this saved me a TON of time tearing into the Stereo/etc.....

Thanks!!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 06:20 PM

Thank you for this, especially that video! Started experiencing a parasitic draw on my 2010 Lancer GTS this month. I've had an aftermarket deck in for over 8 years but never realized there was an external BT module and where it was located.

Did the test with the IOD fuse and soon as I unplugged the BT module (it was super hot!) the multimeter reading dropped from the 480 mA to ~80 mA.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 31, 2021, 05:37 AM

Bluetooth module picture

Originally Posted by JTJB
Problem solved.

It was cooking hot!

I also have a 2009 Mitsubishi lancer ES with Bluetooth capability I cannot find this Bluetooth module above my glove compartment. Can someone please post a picture of this module location or send me a picture to Brad silver on Facebook S in silver, Thank youThank you
Old Jan 31, 2021, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What should the battery drain be in Amps when the key is out? Completely stock car.

Quick Reply: Parasitic Battery Drain