Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

02 es goes up and down in rpm and then dies

Old May 3, 2016, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 es goes up and down in rpm and then dies

Well guys I have an 02 Lancer es and it is currently undriveable. When I started having the issue I was on the freeway and I watched the tach bouncing up and down. I pulled over immediately and then the engine died. I let it cool down and then after a few hours it would start again, but if I let it run for a couple minutes it would act up then die again.. I just replaced the coil packs, spark plugs/wires, and I also changed the valve cover and spark plug tube seals(oil was getting to the plugs). The car started right up and idled well for 15 minutes, but then the tach needle started bouncing and it died. When I try to start it again it seems like some cylinders want to fire and some dont.

Any thoughts as to what could cause this? I'm stumped here.

Thanks!!!
Old May 4, 2016, 12:06 AM

The only idea that even comes to mind is maybe the ecu?
Old May 4, 2016, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Unplug your idle air control and see if there is any change. If not I'm pretty sure that's what went out on you. While your at it check for vacuum leaks.
Old May 11, 2016, 02:36 AM

When should I unplug it?
I checked the impedance of the idle air control unit and it is within the range listed in the manual with all pin combinations listed.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Then use carb cleaner and search for the vacuum leak. Have someone work the throttle to keep it running while you spray at every hose connection and manifold gasket. When the engine revs - that is the leak!
Old May 21, 2016, 04:45 PM

Well I sprayed all over and I didn't notice anything. Where can I find a diagram that shows all vacuum hoses? I have the downloaded manual from mitsubishi but I see nothing about vacuum lines.
The idle air control does get really hot I just noticed. The whole area that it is mounted on gets really hot too. I don't remember that area on the intake getting hot before, but I could be wrong.

Here is a video of the problem right as it starts acting up. Keep in mind the car was running for 15 minutes already and I was holding the idle high to help charge my battery.

https://youtu.be/vhly_pzSQ80
Old Jul 23, 2021, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by knubs
Well I sprayed all over and I didn't notice anything. Where can I find a diagram that shows all vacuum hoses? I have the downloaded manual from mitsubishi but I see nothing about vacuum lines.
The idle air control does get really hot I just noticed. The whole area that it is mounted on gets really hot too. I don't remember that area on the intake getting hot before, but I could be wrong.

Here is a video of the problem right as it starts acting up. Keep in mind the car was running for 15 minutes already and I was holding the idle high to help charge my battery.

https://youtu.be/vhly_pzSQ80
I'm having the same problem and would like to see your video but it's no longer on YouTube. If you still have the video would you please email it to me at spartacuspm87@gmail.com