Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer newbie, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer newbie, is it worth it?

Hello guys! Sorry. I'm a pony owner and this is my first import car. Feels weird being in a tuner forum. But anyways! I've been bored lately and looked for a car to work on. I found an 02 OZ Rally Lancer for $800. 5 speed and I drove it, it seemed good. There's a "knocking" like or "clicking" noise on the engine, close to the driver side but its not super loud like it threw a bearing. My car's engine threw a bearing once too but that one was loud, this one isn't really. It's more apparent when you rev the engine and let go. As the rpms go down, the noise is there going down with it. On idle I can't really tell its there unless I listen really closely. I just wanna know if that's usual to these engines.
Last but not the least, based on the attached pictures, I wanna know if the car is worth the money. I think I can get it for $450 though.

Sorry if it's the wrong place to post this.
first post.
thank you!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 05:21 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
For $800? No way. Obviously someone didn't take care of the car. No that engine noise is not normal. I know you stated you're looking for a project, but expect a motor swap (probably trans to) along with the body repair. Not worth it IMO.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by .M.
For $800? No way. Obviously someone didn't take care of the car. No that engine noise is not normal. I know you stated you're looking for a project, but expect a motor swap (probably trans to) along with the body repair. Not worth it IMO.
gotcha. Just what I wanted to hear.
So I'm assuming even for $450 that he offered me yesterday it's still a no lol
Yeah, I don't think he took care of it. It was so low on oil when I checked it. Radiator cap wasn't opened in a while I guess since when I opened it it was a little hard since it kinda dried up on the sides. Like the white crusty thingy around the hole.
I didn't see the throttle cable so I asked him to rev it. This dude revved it all the way even with super low to no oil. I couldn't believe it. Lmao
He also doesn't know how to check the tranny fluid on it so I'm guessing he hasn't done anything on it or whatsoever himself. Thanks for the clarification.
i just thought I could get this and just enjoy having a 5speed since I'm so tired of auto.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 06:48 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Even the $450 is a hell no IMO. I've paid $4-500 for cars with blown engines before with clean body (sometimes faded paint) and minimal to no rust. That car above is just a headache. I'd trade him a case of beer for it..... and maybe a big mac. Oh and scrolling down the pics fast, it looked like that was a condom wrapper on the drivers seat
Old Oct 2, 2016, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by .M.
Even the $450 is a hell no IMO. I've paid $4-500 for cars with blown engines before with clean body (sometimes faded paint) and minimal to no rust. That car above is just a headache. I'd trade him a case of beer for it..... and maybe a big mac. Oh and scrolling down the pics fast, it looked like that was a condom wrapper on the drivers seat
haha! I thought the same when he showed me the pictures.
I'm new to buying projects since my first one was more like given to me.
So, I'm guessing based on what you've said, when buying a project I should more look into the body than the engine?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 08:12 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

All depends on how crazy you want to get. How much work involved, etc. But for that price, no. That car is not worth it at all. Unless you want to offer them that case of beer I was talking about
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Wow, and I thought my ralliart was in rough shape...I would not pay any more than what an auto wrecker would pay for pick up, which is about $200 regardless of condition, up here. And even then it would need to have either a good body or a good engine/drivetrain, not neither of the two...it's not even really parts car material if you had started a project on another car...I've not seen too many cars in this bad of condition...not worth anything, and I would tell them that.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:19 AM

Thank you all for the replies!
changed my mind on getting it. If only I could do the offer him a beer payment. I can't even drink yet myself lol
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Oh, you're a young lad...well be very careful when buying used vehicles, you made the right choice asking for a second opinion...if you're set on a lancer and your budget is that low, all I can say is if you don't need a car like you're fleeing a crime scene, then hold off and save up a bit more...get something that will last you a couple years, and won't cost you it's value in repairs from the get-go...don't be afraid to lowball either. Look around at comparables and what they're price at...another thing is service records and used vehicle reports...these engines have timing belts and to to have a mechanic to replace it is usually north of $1,000...take that into consideration, when the timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles...do not buy from young people if you can help it, no offence to you, but older people usually take better care of their ****.