Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Post all RATTLE complaints here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise.

I have a lot of rattle sound coming from different place. I started noticing after installing the RRM axleback exhaust but they might have been there before.

- There's one in my dashboard, just in front of the driver seat. And it's only heard between 3750 and 4000 RPM while accelerating. This one drives me nut, can't find it.
There was one coming from the rear seat, driver side. I located it in the plastic covering the rear airbag, I just removed it and replaced it firmly and the vibration stopped.
- There's one coming from the glovebox. It stops when I hit it. I'll sqeeze something in it and it should stop definetly.
- I have a weird sqeaking sound coming from the rear of the car. It started after installing the sway bar. I believe it's only the bushing in the brackets holding it in places that need a little grease. I get the feeling I'm driving an old '85 car with suspension problem right now.

If anyone has any suggestion, go ahead!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

my 2002 lancer oz rattles everytime it reaches about 1750 RPMS and I dont
know what it is. The rattle comes right in from by the motor help me please.. I would appreciate your help..
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by luischav3z
my 2002 lancer oz rattles everytime it reaches about 1750 RPMS and I dont
know what it is. The rattle comes right in from by the motor help me please.. I would appreciate your help..
Motor mount would be my guess. Sounds literally like a baby rattle? I just filled my front and got rid of that noise...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03_Lancer_ES
Motor mount would be my guess. Sounds literally like a baby rattle? I just filled my front and got rid of that noise...
so i need to replace the motor mounts?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

My only regular rattle seems to be the stock left front tweeter housing/panel. Something seems to have comes loose in there.

Besides that my driver window has rattled a few times randomly. But not regularly.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:42 PM
Account Disabled

I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread. Evo's suck when it comes to rattling. I swear my car rattles when I look at it the wrong way. If it weren't for the performance I would have sold it a long time ago just because of all the rattles...haha
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by luischav3z
so i need to replace the motor mounts?
No, you can fill them with poly urethane if you want, it's way cheaper, as long as you're confident taking your car apart. Search, there's many threads on it here.

Failing that, you can get filled mounts from RRM also.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Lancer GTS
All or any help at all would be greatly appreciated. My subwoofer rattles alot it is only when i hold it down with my hand it doesnt, do you guys think the bolts are loose? or do i have to put something in between to cushing the bolts so it wont rattle? because its not my trunk that rattles or license plate but the whould woofer box thing on the left side of the trunk oh yeah almost forgot its the rockford fosgate system. please help me its starting to annoy me especially since i keep my volume low but the woofer at 6 in punch and i can hear the rattle and my friend who drove by my side told me too. so i was wondering if i should tighten the bolts up. thanks for your time
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:22 PM

03 OZ Rattle Problem

I'm having a problem with rattling, and its in the front end only. Really need help for a possible solution to this. So to start off with, the problem first appeared a month or two after it went from automatic to standard conversion. The rattling begins with small vibrations of the car when it is idle from start and that goes away as soon as it starts rolling. The real rattling comes when the car is driving at 70+ MPH while releasing the gas pedal decreases the amount of rattle but still can be felt slightly and completely goes away when car comes below 50 MPH. Also I have looked at the motor while its running and saw that at idle the whole engine shakes a bit when it is supposed to be still. I do not need a tune up as it has only been an year since I got the car, currently with approx. 60k mileage.

I had it diagnosed in a auto repair shop and they said it was the mount but didn't suggest anything for a solution. Which is why I'm here looking for a confirmation on this as well a solution to it. At the moment I don't have much to spend on fixing this issue (less than five hundred) so I would love to see some solutions that would do the trick even if its not the best.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had some problems with the mount. It either needs to be replaced with a new one or you might be able to take it out and fill it in with urethane.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 03:15 PM

Well that is the problem, no one is sure if its the mount or not in my case and just today another auto repair shop told me it could be wheel alignment or one of the cylinder misfiring/not working. So I really have no idea here on what to fix without knowing what it is that needs fixing. I guess this is one of those problems that needs to be seen to understand what it is.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:13 PM

02 LS

This has been happening since the day I got it back in march. It's been mentioned in this thread a couple of times but I wanted to bring it up again to maybe get another opinion. Something in the engine bay rattles but when it rattles changes from time to time. Sometimes it when I put a certain amount of pressure on the gas, and when i take my foot off it stops completely, or when I get to a certain higher rpm it stops with time. I think it may be more rpm wise though. No effects on performance just annoying as hell. But hey, thats what I got my JL's for right?

Old Dec 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ThndrGryLs
02 LS

This has been happening since the day I got it back in march. It's been mentioned in this thread a couple of times but I wanted to bring it up again to maybe get another opinion. Something in the engine bay rattles but when it rattles changes from time to time. Sometimes it when I put a certain amount of pressure on the gas, and when i take my foot off it stops completely, or when I get to a certain higher rpm it stops with time. I think it may be more rpm wise though. No effects on performance just annoying as hell. But hey, thats what I got my JL's for right?

soemthing is lose in your engine bay.. i would think it might be something with your intake or something else that might be moving thats not suppose to be there.. if you raise the revs and it goes away it means the small angle change or vibration in the motor is fixxing whatever it touching.. your motor shouldnt be making any weird noises! fix it because you dont want it to become a problem!

(this is all coming from the guy who has an exhaust leak and is to lazy to fix it because hes getting tubod next week) lol
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:05 PM

odd ratteling seems to come from a pully

ok so the other day my belt started squealing so i threw on so belt dressing anf that fixed that probalem but there seems to be and rattling every once in a while that seems to come from a pully and i cant figure it out ive checked them all and the bearings seem fine any ideas? the help is much appreciated
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lancerfreak311
ever since i got my subs, hahaha hmm everything rattles, im in desperate need of dynamat, stat.
Ya, my entire car was rattling apart. I ended up going the cheap route and buying "SecondSkin" which is a 3mm thick vibration dampening material. It did the trick after I lined my entire trunk bay and lid, but now I can hear the rest of my car vibrate. Specifically, my door panels. I suppose I could always get a vibration kit for the doors as well.

Quick Reply: Post all RATTLE complaints here