Notices
Lancer Vendor Classifieds See what special deals and offers our vendors have going on! These vendors have registered their Tax ID and other pertinent information so you can be more assured when purchasing items.

Rear Tie Bars!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question. I dafinately can not do the rear strut brace. I need my trunk because I have a son and wife and we travel and space is tight as is. I was going to get the Progress rear sway bar and your perches. Would it make a difference getting the tie bars as well ? On the front I have Eibachs and the RRM k bar. Please pm me with the answer. Thanks alot !

BTW, I have a 02 OZ.

Last edited by blk02oz; Jul 1, 2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

the more the merrier Seriously though, everything does a little different something.
First, I hope you have the eibachs all the way around. Having springs that aren't matched is a bad thing, and no amount of bar is going to fix the bizarre handling mis-matched springs will give. Ok, done with that

The sway bar acts as a connector between the middle of the control arms. Basically when the left side goes up, the bar tries to take the right side up with it, which is just about impossible. So the bar torques back on the side that's rising up, effectively pushing it back down, keeping your tires on the road more effectively. Check out the pic: http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...ion_bible.html

The tie bar "ties" the two control arms together at their fulcrums. See if you crawl under the car and look at that support that holds the two rear control arms, you'll notice a few things. First, there's a fat rubber bushing holding the bolt for the arm. Rubber is squishy. Second, if you look closely, you'll see that the bolt rests in a channel, not a hole. This channel allows the bolt to slide a little.
The tie bar helps eliminate movement of the arm. Why is this good? Because when your control arms move toward each other, away from each other, or move together to one side, it changes the geometry of your suspension, and messes with the camber of the tires. Camber changes effect how well your tires can grip. Most suspensions are set up to maximize grip in a straight line. Turns generally equate to less grip. Turns in conjunction with a tire that's rolling in or out give even less grip.

The strut brace does something similar by bracing the top of the box that's made by the two struts and the control arms. Make finger guns. Now, touch your thumbs together tip to tip (looks like this |_| ) Add a strut braice and voila- a closed box.

Ok dinner's ready and I'm starving... so in short, yes, it will make a difference. let me know if this doesn't quite answer your questions.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk02oz
I have a question. I dafinately can not do the rear strut brace. I need my trunk because I have a son and wife and we travel and space is tight as is. I was going to get the Progress rear sway bar and your perches. Would it make a difference getting the tie bars as well ? On the front I have Eibachs and the RRM k bar. Please pm me with the answer. Thanks alot !

BTW, I have a 02 OZ.
Dude, I'm with you. I had the RRM/Progress sway bar and perches already when I got this rear tie bar. I went way out of my way to make a subwoofer box that wouldn't take up any space in my trunk and still wanted to tighten up the rear. The tie bar is perfect...
-N
Old Jul 9, 2004, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Weekend BUMP!!

I've got these in stock folks. You paypal me this weekend and it's going out Monday!!
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I told you I would be down for one! Email me paypal info and the logo you had made up
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

looks great for the price! anyway, it goes somewhere that most people will never see. also gonna get a lot of road grime. why get a nice shinney piece to expose to the elements like that? i dont think style was ever a selling point
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

It's been a couple weeks, so here's a little bump These are selling fast and people are loving them

A brave brave Evo owner in NorCal gave this a shot and they do not fit the Evo.... I'd like to take this one off his hands, so if you're in Cali, give oldmanevo a PM and see if you two can't work something out... I know it's never been used and probably never even touched the car. Thanks OldManEvo!

Last edited by engineerboy; Jul 28, 2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously folks!!! Why pay more? Let's say you want the fancy chameleon paint for your tie bar that no one will ever see (because you're already lowered and you're moving too fast, right ) If you buy my bar, plus shipping and the cost of a chameleon paint kit, you still come out ahead.

$37 shipped anywhere in the USA!! If these things didn't work I A) wouldn't sell them to you and B) wouldn't race with one on.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
You need to do them for the EVO and I'd be in for the rear brace.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Good sh*t need a bump once in a while
Old Aug 11, 2004, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Closed at starter's request.