Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

800ft.lbs wheel torque

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's not atypical for some motors to create significantly more torque than HP (MX-6 GT being a common example), but that really does sound out of whack.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by astrocreep96
The torque converter doesn't multiply the torque, that job is left to the gears in the tranny and rear-end. The TC, like you said, acts kind of like a clutch for autos, but instead of friction between two plates, it uses centrifugal motion the tranny fluid to transfer energy from the flex plate to the input shaft.

It honestly sounds like the dyno shop screwed something up. If they didn't put the right gear ratios into the computer, they could have gotten a weird reading for the torque and maintained more-or-less the same hp figures (well, not peak hp). The only other way I can think of making 400 and 800 ft-lbs of torque is if you made it all at about 1000rpms.
Hah, that's the funniest thing i've read all day. " The torque converter also acts as a torque multiplier, or extra gear ratio, to help the car get moving from a stop. In modern day converters this theoretical ratio is anywhere between 2:1 and 3:1."
and "The third component is the stator assembly, its function is to redirect the flow of fluid between the impeller and the turbine, which gives the torque multiplication effect from a standstill." So yes it does multiply torque.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Widebandphillip
Hah, that's the funniest thing i've read all day. " The torque converter also acts as a torque multiplier, or extra gear ratio, to help the car get moving from a stop. In modern day converters this theoretical ratio is anywhere between 2:1 and 3:1."
and "The third component is the stator assembly, its function is to redirect the flow of fluid between the impeller and the turbine, which gives the torque multiplication effect from a standstill." So yes it does multiply torque.
You may want to read this a couple of times:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter1.htm
Old Apr 19, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

How sad, try reading some more, I'm usually funnier.

I think what you're thinking of is the amount of slip that a torque converter allows before it locks up (not locking up like with a lock-up auto tranny, I'm talking about stall speed here). I don't know if I'd say it multiplies torque, it seems to allow the engine to build torque before placing a load on it.

However, if you're right, I think I'll sell my tranny and just bolt a TC onto the driveshaft. Anyone want a used '03 Evo 5-speed?

Last edited by astrocreep96; Apr 19, 2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 09:47 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

How do you calculate horse power? It's calculated from an equation using RPM and torque. If you're multiplying torque then why don't you see a rise in HP? To suggest that automatic transmission equipped cars make 2 or 3 times more torque than manual equipped cars is just plain wrong.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I need to see a dynograph. You know what i'm thinking? I'm thinking they probably floored it and dropped a gear to cause the rapid increase in torque.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
deleted my own comments on the off chance they could be taken the wrong way.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Apr 19, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
You're not Kuwaiti, are you? Only wondering because in college there were a few kids from there who had very wealthy fathers. Also, a good friend of mine has a very wealthy family (Palestinian, but for all intents Jordanian). Houses in France, other places in Europe. His uncle owns Del Monte foods
That's some pretty crazy stereotyping. Nice car = Money = Middle East.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
How the hell is that stereotyping? Pretty crazy hypersensitivity on your part. Thanks for throwing the racism grenade. Appreciate that.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Here are some more figures to screw with:

The stock E500 makes its peak torque at about 2700rpms. Working off this number just for kicks, a car with 800ft-lbs. would be making about 400 hp at that rpm. However, the torque would have to vanish from there on out to not make more hp further up the ladder. The E500 makes peak hp at around 5600rpms, so the engine doesn't exactly die out at higher rpms.

Maybe try taking it to another shop, and have them re-dyno it. If it is still the same, check the supercharger pulley to see if its slipping at higher rpms, and then check the tune to see if something is screwed up. With that much torque, you should be near 700 or so hp. Also, the stock E500 puts out ~300hp, with those mods you should be kicking some serious *** (well, you already are, but you could kick even more ).

And finally, if you've exhausted all those options, well...I guess I'm full of **** and you can have a laugh on me.
Old May 9, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by astrocreep96
Here are some more figures to screw with:

The stock E500 makes its peak torque at about 2700rpms. Working off this number just for kicks, a car with 800ft-lbs. would be making about 400 hp at that rpm. However, the torque would have to vanish from there on out to not make more hp further up the ladder. The E500 makes peak hp at around 5600rpms, so the engine doesn't exactly die out at higher rpms.

Maybe try taking it to another shop, and have them re-dyno it. If it is still the same, check the supercharger pulley to see if its slipping at higher rpms, and then check the tune to see if something is screwed up. With that much torque, you should be near 700 or so hp. Also, the stock E500 puts out ~300hp, with those mods you should be kicking some serious *** (well, you already are, but you could kick even more ).

And finally, if you've exhausted all those options, well...I guess I'm full of **** and you can have a laugh on me.
Cool.. thanks.. i dont really care about numbers....
all i know is that this thing ate a 996 twin turbo and that makes me smile
Old May 9, 2005, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

My uncle in law's SL65 is a lil beefed up also his numbers were 736whp/946TQ... still the same V12 just bigger turbos and a lil more boost...
Old May 9, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice
Old May 9, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03BREvo8
My uncle in law's SL65 is a lil beefed up also his numbers were 736whp/946TQ... still the same V12 just bigger turbos and a lil more boost...
that thing must be mad....!!!! have you ever sit in it??
mine is V8 supercharged btw, not V12 bi-turbo like the 65s engine