Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

[NEWS] AWD 4.5L v8 Nissan 450z

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation [NEWS] AWD 4.5L v8 Nissan 450z

Courtesy of autoweek.com

- Translation

Nissan 450Z: aiming for porsche and maserati

the commercial succes of the small 350Z coupe in the states is undeniable. nissan doesn't want to stop there, and gets ready to launch a super Z for the american market in 2005: the 450Z

the 350Z lends its structure and modern design. everything else changes. the V6 gets replaced by a 4.5l v8, which is succesfull in diverse japanese GT races. hp is estimated at 430hp, in comparison to the 280hp from the 350Z.

transmission would be a 6 speed manual, but more importantly, the 450Z would have 4-wheel drive. smaller than other coupes with comparable displacement, the 450Z would also be lighter. performance wise, its direct competitiors would be the 911 carrera or the maserati 4.2 GT, which is also probpelled by a nice V8. there's a promising future...

My Take: Amazing! Nissan strikes it again. The 350z is sweet and to add the v8 powerplant with awd just shows nissan is taking no prisoners. Nissan has never let me down... now, I WANT A TEST DRIVE! Kudo's nissan, .

P.S. Nissan > ALL
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, its almost the end of 2005. Where is it and why is this the first i'm seeing it. Thats gotta be crazy power.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

So wouldn't this car be cutting into the sales of the upcoming GTR? Seems like both cars are going to be gunning for the same competitors?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:20 PM

So wouldn't this car be cutting into the sales of the upcoming GTR? Seems like both cars are going to be gunning for the same competitors?
^^^ WORD
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:32 PM

50 bucks says its just a platform mixup.
e.g. USA gets skyline and France gets 450Z
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Illinest
50 bucks says its just a platform mixup.
e.g. USA gets skyline and France gets 450Z
haha i'd still take the skyline anyday
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm.. Seems like a skyline debate. That current debate has been whether to honor the tt-six heritage and keep the past design, or go "upper class" to compete with other high end makes that use v-8s. As the skyline may be an Infinity, and very expensive/upper end, I'm not counting on a twin turbo.

I would like to know when this issue is from, as I don't remember a recent us version of that article, and I consume my autoweeks the minute they hit the mailbox.

However, a hot rod version of the Z, using a v-8 would be very cool, all the more so with awd, but that smells like skyline again. Given the expense of an aftermarket s/c or tt for the Z, the v-8 would be a great off the lot buy. Maybe mid 40k?

One thing is certain, Gosen is the man, and Nissan is getting stronger. I would love to see him go all in for us market and start factory racing over here again.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

If the 450z does go into production, which I doubt, it should turn out to be a very nice car. However, it would kind of make the Skyline pointless.

I think the 450z could be rather successful if a nicely-optioned one costs less than $50k.

Considering that the new M3/S4/C55 cars are starting to move into the $65-$70k range, the 450z would be a nice (cheaper) alternative to those cars.

But wouldn't that make the G35 pointless? Hmm. Hopefully Nissan/Infiniti won't turn themselves into the next VW/Audi/Porsche by having too many models that bite into each other's territory.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Bingo. It does seem hard to see nissan going that route, with Infinity getting the Skyline. Interesting how the upper end is going to v-8s though, huh? MB, BMW, and even Lexus debating the is430? hot rod.

Personally, I would rather have a t/c six over an 8, but at that cost range, not that many of those buyers are shopping for mods. They want it fast and smooth from the showroom floor.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

anybody remember why the supra/rx7/300z died? overpriced bloated performance cars...
as the prices get higher, its coming
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

i'll believe it when i see it
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sandm
anybody remember why the supra/rx7/300z died? overpriced bloated performance cars...
as the prices get higher, its coming

Don't forget how the yen/dollar had a major effect on that outcome. Those cars survived for a while in Japan.

What I think you see happening is the growing acceptance/appetite for hp/technology/coolness from the mid to high end market. With the hemi marketing working, and gm selling strong v-8s as well, the buyers are seeing performance in a new light.

Whether than light shines again on mass market expensive coupes remains to be seen though.