Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Turbo
40.59%
GT3
37.62%
Another car in the same price range (which?)
5.94%
An Evo with $80k in mods
15.84%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

The great debate: 2007 911 Turbo vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 04:39 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
That's what mid-engines mean ... mid engine = rear engines ... all rear engine cars are called mid-engines, fyi
Uhh, no.
Old May 1, 2006, 04:43 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by PhoenixEvo
Well i think its more along the lines of that, they may just want a track car and if thats the case, 80k in mods on a evo would crush these porsche's on a track. I dont think u could ever make a evo as nice as either of these cars for daily driven and reliability purpose. But i think the people voting for the evo would be thinking along the terms of flat out race purposes. (or i would hope)
What would you get for $80k though? There is some rapidly diminishing return there. You can only add so much power (500-600 HP?), brakes, suspension, and body changes. You're still dealing with a car with **** poor aero, a relatively high CG, and the same god awful interior. I suppose you could roll cage, tube frame, and make the panels aluminum, but at that point it's not even really an Evo anymore - I'd hope one would be wise enough to just get a Mitsubishi Evo rally car (tarmac setup) for that kind of coin.

There's an interesting challenge... what would it take to make an Evo faster than a 911 Turbo (we're talking 'ring times, not 1/4 or artificial handling tests).
Old May 1, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think cars get much sexier than a porsche 911 turbo (except maybe a carrera gt ).
Old May 1, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
That's what mid-engines mean ... mid engine = rear engines ... all rear engine cars are called mid-engines, fyi

Awesome
Old May 1, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
There seems to be a percentage of people on this forum that, no matter the comparison, always prefer the Evo and gobs of mods to a vastly superior car. I'm not sure what's behind the mentality, but I suspect the majority who choose that option have never been in a 911 (or Z06, Ferrari, whatever is being compared to) to appreciate the difference.
One off the attractions of the Evo IMO is it's relative humility and humble 4 dr box lineage. With an RS or a de-winged GSR the enthusiast can enjoy the performance experiance of a 100K+ car without looking like a drug dealer, pompous a$$, mid-life crissis sufferer or kid that blew all his money on a dumb car.

Sure everyone wants a 911, I have wanted one my whole life, but the reality is most people buy them to impress people or feel better about themselves, not because of the engineering, fabrication or performance attributes. I actually work with a guy who took over payments from his uncle's 911 because the people in the rural town where his law practice was accused him of over charging them when he bought it.!

I say give me an evo and 80k, my friends, parents and co-workers will never know unless I want them to and i can still hang with the Porshe and Ferrari guys at the track.
Old May 1, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go with the GT3.
Old May 1, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

as a fellow porsche owner i would trade up to the gt3. turbo's are fun but nothing beats a flat six at 8k rpm... nothing. but **** i don't have that kind of money so i will just have to have fun with my just turned 99,000 mile porsche. she may have a lot of miles but she still pulls like she used to. And the whole descusion about the evo with 80k in mods. yeah that would be one hell of a car but it wouldn't last you long. Any one of thoughs porsche's will easly last you to 150k+ miles. no matter how hard you drive them. trust me i drive my car like my *** is on fire and no major problems yet (KNOCK ON WOOD)
Old May 1, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

i'd spend the extra $17k on the Turbo for the extra 162ft-lbs of TORQUE!!!!!!!
Old May 1, 2006, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

my dad's friend has a 996 turbo (non x50), my dad had a 996 gt3, from a dig they stay neck-neck until 130, when the turbo barely starts pulling. from a roll the gt3 surprisingly gets the jump, but the turbo soon catches up and pulls 2 car lengths and keeps that distance. but they both agree that the trubo is more of a DD, the gt3 is like a evo, minimal creature comforts with lots of sound and vibration. they also both agree that the gt3 is the better handler and is more tossable.

personally i think the gt3 is better, the 997 one is my new dream car. it's seiously my new inspiration to finish college

but seriosuly, i would take either in a heartbeat.

GT3

Turbo

Old May 1, 2006, 09:15 PM

In my opinion the GT3 is just so much more hardcore. like you said, it has less creature comforts. its like the ferrari F-40. but before anyone says that the F-40 has a turbo, and yes i do know that it does, i love the fact that neither car has a traction control system. so bare bones, so amazing.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

if these are the only choices....i'd take the turbo.

but for the price i'd get a c6z and an Evo, and use the rest of the cash for bolt-on's, which would yield me a hell of a daily (Evo), and an insane highway monster (c6z).

just the thought of that depresses me.

good thing i'm extremely content with my stock evo ix right now
Old May 1, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'd go with the Turbo for sure.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:28 PM

I would have to go with the turbo. You can't beat the sound or the power. I got whipped by an 89 Porsche 930 about three weeks ago. It wasn't even close and my evo is not stock. I could only imagine a new 911 with mods. An Evo with $80 in mods Ha! that would be crazy but its too funny to even think about. I am not much of a vette guy but I wouldn't turn down a Lingenfelter (how ever you spell it)
Old May 1, 2006, 10:35 PM

Oh yeah and I believe that most Porsches are rear engine but the boxter is a mid engine cause it has a trunk behind it where everyone knows that the 911 doesn't
Old May 2, 2006, 06:06 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by DrkSilver163
In my opinion the GT3 is just so much more hardcore. like you said, it has less creature comforts. its like the ferrari F-40. but before anyone says that the F-40 has a turbo, and yes i do know that it does, i love the fact that neither car has a traction control system. so bare bones, so amazing.
The Turbo has PSM and PTM, Porsche's alphabet soup of traction control. PSM is stability control (uses brakes to control excess yaw) and PTM is traction control, though it more resembles Mitsu's S-AYC system than traditional clamp-on-the-brakes traction control.

The GT3 has PSM, but obviously lacks PTM (which is part of the AWD system).

Quick Reply: The great debate: 2007 911 Turbo vs GT3