Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What BMW could outrun a STi..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im sorry i mean... i didnt mean z4.... the m version of it

m4?? idk what its called
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
im sorry i mean... i didnt mean z4.... the m version of it

m4?? idk what its called
Right on
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

it's called the z4 M Coupe. the z3 version was bad ***... it looked so unique with that huge rear end, 4 pipes and fat tires. The z4 version just looks like a hardtop z4... bmw's version of the cayman.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
yeah, but the M's are *fixed* up versions of the regular Z, 3, 5 and 6 series.
I meant the regular 3 series.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:32 PM

The Z8 would. The Z8 "Alpina", if I remember correctly, was automatic, heavier, and less powerful than the regular old Z8. The regular Z8 wouldn't have any problem with the STi.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 951
The Z8 would. The Z8 "Alpina", if I remember correctly, was automatic, heavier, and less powerful than the regular old Z8. The regular Z8 wouldn't have any problem with the STi.
The Z8 Alpina was a pile of crap. Nothing like paying a HUGE premium for worse performance.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
I dont think any BMW can really beat a Evo or STI in a real world situation. The evo/sti are in classes all their own. I have driven both and I have driven a E46 M3 and the new M5 (a work assoc has one).

On the track they might be able to keep up in a stock to stock comarison, but on a real mountain road running togue the AWD of the evo/sti + the unkown of uneven pavement / gravel, water, ect .... will leave any M series trailing...

Dont get me wrong I love M cars even though my screen name rags on the M3 and such as I think they are awsome for lux/sports mix .... but for all out bad *** performance your going to have to get in a Porsche or higher to keep up with the Evo/STI
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:28 AM

On the kind of course you are describing, gravel with lots of hairpins and things of that sort, I think that the Evo will have a much higher advantage and be most likely to win the race. Anyone remember why Audi started winning WRC's back in the day with their little tiny car versus the big v6+ Muscle RWD cars?

Also to the guy who said that you could only drift through the corners in a RWD on gravel...nope! AWD can very easily slide through Gravel stages. Anyone seen the Gigi Galli video from a few years ago? Granted thats on Tarmac, on Gravel any car can slide/drift quite easily, hell I was even able to drift quite adequately on gravel in a Mini Cooper S, a FF car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBICkz7Pq4

Wait until the end.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by M3this
I dont think any BMW can really beat a Evo or STI in a real world situation. The evo/sti are in classes all their own. I have driven both and I have driven a E46 M3 and the new M5 (a work assoc has one).

On the track they might be able to keep up in a stock to stock comarison, but on a real mountain road running togue the AWD of the evo/sti + the unkown of uneven pavement / gravel, water, ect .... will leave any M series trailing...

Dont get me wrong I love M cars even though my screen name rags on the M3 and such as I think they are awsome for lux/sports mix .... but for all out bad *** performance your going to have to get in a Porsche or higher to keep up with the Evo/STI

The Z8 definitely could.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
What BMW do u think could outrun an sti (STOCK VS STOCK) through a canyon/mountain run with lots of twists and turns.

I was arguing wit someone and i believe no bmw can do so besides maybe the Z series

Defeinetly Not the Z series, they are What you would call a Girls Car, Looks but they can't back it up performance wise, your best bet would beileive it or not the M3, Mainly because it Accellerates Extremely fast and Tops out at A high Speed to. But on a twisty Track like you stated the STI will probaly Be making easy work of the M3. BMW werren't designed to Rally Race, just Pavement and moderate turns, they do turn nicely though.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

dont underestimate bimmers, for they are one of the best handling cars. yes, they're heavy but they are very capable. i think the MK E30 M3 or an E36 M3 could outrun an STi, so does some of the M models especially the CSL.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stealthdrive_17
dont underestimate bimmers, for they are one of the best handling cars. yes, they're heavy but they are very capable. i think the MK E30 M3 or an E36 M3 could outrun an STi, so does some of the M models especially the CSL.
There is a reason that BMWs are the standard for all-around performing machines.

They definitely have some great handling characteristics, but an E30 or E36 isn't going to beat an STi off the showroom floor. They were great for their time, and they're still formidable performers today, but times change. Their days have passed.