Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Sold the evo keeping the 370 whp 92 civic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
I tried owning a FWD "performance" car in the form of a 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, and even in stock trim the torque-steer was more than present. It was obviously worse with some mods. I don't mind a slight tug like the one I get from the STi (just set the DCCD to "rear" and it's virtually eliminated), but the tug from a FWDer just ruins the experience for me.
it wasn't too bad for me after installing a quaife ATB LSD. it all but eliminated my torque steer issues and i had preloaded competition engineering traction bars up front to help with traction combined with 600 lb. rear springs.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

nothing against honda, but this should definatly be placed in the "Dumbest Topics Ever" catagory

-Adam
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the thread die in peace.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Whatever, buddy.

That's why you're only making just over 300 hp with your "wonder motor." Since you're so wise when it comes to modding cars, where's the power? And yes, we're all sure you've "seen it all." That's why everyone is just banging down your door begging you to mod their cars.

Lastly, you still haven't proven me wrong that it can't be done for $6000, and you won't.
My EVO8 is my daily driver, mid 12's was the goal and will be the goal. It is not a drag car and never will be. The EVO8 is not a drag car period. I don't just own an EVO, I also race an R1 and own an 06 Titan that I'm currently playing with now. The EVO is done and I have no further plans to make it faster. I was in the 10's when you were probably in your diaper years. I'm done here, your pathetic and this is going nowhere. Have fun with your half *ss upgrades (junk yard motors).
Here's a personal opinion: DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

I guess when you buy junk from junkyards and put on used stuff, you can cut corner and deal with headaches to make 370whp (peak hp), 2 years later.

Oh, if I wanted to make more power I guess I can run 28psi with race gas and run no cat on the street like a fool (maybe like you). My tune was with a cat, 19psi, 91 octane and a conservative tune. It has alot more power left in her, I just didn't want to push it hard like most folks. It will never blow up no matter how hard I drive it in any weather, any temperature. 40K miles of hard driving and some road racing and she's still running strong as the first day I bought her. I had a WRX and didn't get the STI because it coudnt do what the EVO could do. That's why I drive an EVO and you drive an STI right and your on an EVO site right making a big deal about a Civic HB beating an EVO right........ Right on brother!

Last edited by GREDDY; Nov 26, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Its all about the Hondas man. My 260 whp 00 Civic Si (t3/t04e @10psi 91 octane, stock 2600lbs) ate up evos all day. And YES from a dig. With worse than stock tires and no lsd, torque steering hardcore. I would get pulled off the line by 1-1.5 carlengths by 03 evos launching off the 7k limiter with a good slip...and we all know what would happen after that.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
Its all about the Hondas man. My 260 whp 00 Civic Si (t3/t04e @10psi 91 octane, stock 2600lbs) ate up evos all day. And YES from a dig. With worse than stock tires and no lsd, torque steering hardcore. I would get pulled off the line by 1-1.5 carlengths by 03 evos launching off the 7k limiter with a good slip...and we all know what would happen after that.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
You better watch out for those cammed ones making 329 hp/327 ftlbs tq at the wheels!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Would it be quicker on a right and left slick? Photo of that motor is awesome!
ahaha touche. (if thats even how you spell it lol)
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GREDDY
I guess when you buy junk from junkyards and put on used stuff, you can cut corner and deal with headaches to make 370whp (peak hp), 2 years later.

Oh, if I wanted to make more power I guess I can run 28psi with race gas and run no cat on the street like a fool (maybe like you). My tune was with a cat, 19psi, 91 octane and a conservative tune. It has alot more power left in her, I just didn't want to push it hard like most folks. It will never blow up no matter how hard I drive it in any weather, any temperature. 40K miles of hard driving and some road racing and she's still running strong as the first day I bought her. I had a WRX and didn't get the STI because it coudnt do what the EVO could do. That's why I drive an EVO and you drive an STI right and your on an EVO site right making a big deal about a Civic HB beating an EVO right........ Right on brother!
The only one here making a big deal about a Civic HB beating an Evo is you. If you don't want to participate in the conversation without getting all huffy about it, then maybe you should quit posting in this thread.

And an STi is more expensive than an Evo. If I had chosen to purchase an Evo, I really don't think it would've been a problem.

And once again, you dodged my request for you to prove that you can not build a 370 whp Civic for $6000. Instead of insulting me, I ask you once again to post the proof that you can not build a 370 whp Civic for $6000.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

I had a turbo integra making 425whp on 93 and 515whp on 103 and I would have to
say from a roll I would run anything. I pulled street bikes and gave 650whp supra's a
run for there money on pump. From a dig is a different story. On anything less then
slicks at a drag strip the power is damn near impossible to put down. I had quaife
lsd, full-race traction bars and a AVC-R with boost per gear set-up and it was still hard.
My integra was expensive to build could have bought a used evo for what I had into it
but I was never affraid of breaking it. I can't say that with the MR, I feel like I can't be
as hard on it, but I'm still getting use to it. I've had both on the road course and even
though I think my integra could put down faster times then the evo, you had to really
drive to control it. The evo is so easy to drive fast it's scary. I really like the evo but I
have to admit there is something about a turbo honda that will always make me smile.
Here is a vid of my integra on the dyno before I sold it.

http://www.evans-tuning.com/videos/MikesGSRDyno.wmv

I do miss her.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
I had a turbo integra making 425whp on 93 and 515whp on 103 and I would have to
say from a roll I would run anything. I pulled street bikes and gave 650whp supra's a
run for there money on pump. From a dig is a different story. On anything less then
slicks at a drag strip the power is damn near impossible to put down. I had quaife
lsd, full-race traction bars and a AVC-R with boost per gear set-up and it was still hard.
My integra was expensive to build could have bought a used evo for what I had into it
but I was never affraid of breaking it. I can't say that with the MR, I feel like I can't be
as hard on it, but I'm still getting use to it. I've had both on the road course and even
though I think my integra could put down faster times then the evo, you had to really
drive to control it. The evo is so easy to drive fast it's scary. I really like the evo but I
have to admit there is something about a turbo honda that will always make me smile.
Here is a vid of my integra on the dyno before I sold it.

http://www.evans-tuning.com/videos/MikesGSRDyno.wmv

I do miss her.
That thing's badass. Curious how much $ you had in it.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

well I bought the car brand new in 2000 with 18 miles on it, so if you include the price
of the car probaly somewhere over 40k. This is not a example of a cheap honda and
should not be considered the norm. I wanted the ultimate street driven honda and
I built it, money no object. From the oem honda jdm front, to the full-race turbo kit
to the RPS Carbon/Carbon clutch and the list goes on and on. I could do it again
for 1/2 to a 1/3 of that.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

well I bought the car brand new in 2000 with 18 miles on it, so if you include the price
of the car probaly somewhere over 40k. This is not a example of a cheap honda and
should not be considered the norm. I wanted the ultimate street driven honda and
I built it, money no object. From the oem honda jdm front, to the full-race turbo kit
to the RPS Carbon/Carbon clutch and the list goes on and on. I could do it again
Wow, lots of $. I guess you learn from your mistakes so it would be considerably cheaper the next time around. That's definitely a cool car. Why'd you get rid of it?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

. I could do it again
i know exactly what you mean. i had a 92 hatch with a dart block 2.3L stroker turbo that put down 528whp/396wtq and i had probrably close to 40K total with everything i tried before getting to the current setup. coulda did it that way from the beginning much cheaper. were you still running stock head/cams? mine was except for upgraded springs/retainers to go 9K.