Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Supra Q's for Supra/Vette owners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supra Q's for Supra/Vette owners

Thinkin of picking up a Supra TT MKIV (between 30-80k miles)

-How BAD is the insurance on these cars? ie: compared to a evo or a 04 z06 vette

-Reliability. I heard these cars are very reliable and dont break down often (considering how much HP u put out), i'm only planning to go for a BPU++ setup (full exh, ebc, pulley, cam gears, intake), this nets over 130hp over stock so thats enough for me. How much is the car to MAINTAIN though?

-BESIDES looks and potential, how much of a better choice is this over GM's Z06 C5 vette (02-04). The + for a supra is that its a toyota=RELIABLE. I am so **** about reliability because i will be investing alot of money into either a z06 or supra (USED) whereas i could turn aorund and get a evo9 brand spanking new...BUT IM NOT so save ur comments about the evo
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

well i don't own a supra or a vette. but my father has 3 vettes and I work for Chevy. Supras are awesome cars and one of my best friends has a 97 tt and has NEVER had a problemt with it at all. As far as vettes I work on them all the time and they have no problems what so ever.. I have worked on at least 10 that have well over 100k with no major problems other than needing tranny/rear diff services and brakes and tires.. but that is any other car. Other than that they pose no problems and There is one customer that has 295k.. thats right 295k on a 97 vette.. drives it everyday and has only had tires put on... brakes put on twice...and an oil change every 3k..So either choice is a great one
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

The Supra is probably the best built car period. My buddy has a Mk IV with 90,000 miles original shorblock (never been torn apart) and hes been running 800+ to the wheels--- with only the usual problems of things like aftermarket clutches wearing out ---for over 5 years.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the input. Any1 else chime in on answering my Q's?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Reliability is a wash. Both cars are reliable. Insurance shouldn't be much different. Looks are subjective. The Z06 outperforms the Supra is every way.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I would say that the Z06 is the better track car because it's so much lighter. The Supra makes for a great cruiser (i.e. very comfy), but it's heavy as hell.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

The supra is the better road car hands down. Best reliability compared to any car in my opinion.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 06:29 PM

Reliability is not really a wash as Chevy has lower ratings than Toyota. The fact that total production numbers for MKIV TT models from 93-98 was around 7 thousand cars, That's it! The quality control on these cars were very tight. Compare that to the 2002 Z06 production of over 8 thousand cars in it's FIRST year, 2002. Draw your own conclusions, but there is no denying that the Supra is a much rarer car and the odds of seeing one are much lower than a Vette.

Is the Z06 reliable? I'd say yes, but not quite as reliable as the Supra. However the Supra is getting up in years, so an improperly maintained high mileage one could give you problems. They can handle a lot of abuse, but are not invincable.

The Supra is so de-tuned from the factory it's not even funny. Even stock the car pulled .98s worth of grip and handled very predictably. The legendary engine can handle 1000hp on a stock internals and even the stock twins can make up to 450rwhp with simple mods. More than enough to dismantle a lightly modded Z06.

Yeah I'm a little biased because I own one, but I did test drive an 03 C5 Z06 before and while it was a great car I liked the Supra even more.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 09:15 PM

I have a 600+ whp stock longblock supra. I have it insured as a weekend car so it only costs me ~$350 every 6 monthes to insure. I love these cars, and they probably have one of the biggest upsides of any car.

The supras are nice because they can be used for so many applications: my car is used for auto-x and drag racing, my brother has a methanol powered drag supra, and my dad has a show quality widebody.

I think the bad thing about a supra is that you are paying $25K+ for a 10 year old car.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by garrettjj
Is the Z06 reliable? I'd say yes, but not quite as reliable as the Supra. However the Supra is getting up in years, so an improperly maintained high mileage one could give you problems. They can handle a lot of abuse, but are not invincable.
That is the thing -- both cars are reliable. Why decide on which reliable car to buy based on maximum reliability -- I'd decide using other criteria.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Supra= God's Chariot.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by brobards
I have a 600+ whp stock longblock supra. I have it insured as a weekend car so it only costs me ~$350 every 6 monthes to insure. I love these cars, and they probably have one of the biggest upsides of any car.

The supras are nice because they can be used for so many applications: my car is used for auto-x and drag racing, my brother has a methanol powered drag supra, and my dad has a show quality widebody.

I think the bad thing about a supra is that you are paying $25K+ for a 10 year old car.
Awesome! Impressive that you have three Supras in the family, each for a different purpose.

Who is your insurance carrier? I wanted to get the Supra insured as a show or weekend only car but AAA(California) doesn't really have anything like that.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

I just sold my evo 03 450hp for a 97 supra tt 6speed. And my roommate has a z06 03 vette. The vette has a huge power spike right of the bat when you hit the throttle. And untill about 60mph it will leave me in the dust. However my supra running under a grand in mods will fly by it and totally destroy it from there up. Its just unreal how fast these cars are once they get rolling. This is the way it goes with most races, even a 03 cobra with bolt ons is going to have a hard time once the ball is rolling. as for insurance my evo was 52 a month and the supra is 38bucks. I have usaa. Whats more fun to drive? the evo around town, the supra everywhere else. Also please remember the supra is a very rare car, and alot of shops will not work on it. If purchasing one please have money aside for normal maintanance. Like at 120,000 valve seals will go out. And bushings and other minor parts that have wear. Now money wise heres the kicker. With the evo I hit 450hp and then i started to worry about drive line stuff, so i did a act clutch and then stories popped up all over here about tc probs. And the fact that those parts cost a grip and i wanted to go fast with no issues at the drag strip, plus a good sale and purchase price caused me to go supra. The supra has no drive train issues and this can cause you to mod untill your broke. I will have a evo one day again, but it will be a 400hp road race car.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by damianhindley
I just sold my evo 03 450hp for a 97 supra tt 6speed. And my roommate has a z06 03 vette. The vette has a huge power spike right of the bat when you hit the throttle. And untill about 60mph it will leave me in the dust. However my supra running under a grand in mods will fly by it and totally destroy it from there up. Its just unreal how fast these cars are once they get rolling. This is the way it goes with most races, even a 03 cobra with bolt ons is going to have a hard time once the ball is rolling. as for insurance my evo was 52 a month and the supra is 38bucks. I have usaa. Whats more fun to drive? the evo around town, the supra everywhere else. Also please remember the supra is a very rare car, and alot of shops will not work on it. If purchasing one please have money aside for normal maintanance. Like at 120,000 valve seals will go out. And bushings and other minor parts that have wear. Now money wise heres the kicker. With the evo I hit 450hp and then i started to worry about drive line stuff, so i did a act clutch and then stories popped up all over here about tc probs. And the fact that those parts cost a grip and i wanted to go fast with no issues at the drag strip, plus a good sale and purchase price caused me to go supra. The supra has no drive train issues and this can cause you to mod untill your broke. I will have a evo one day again, but it will be a 400hp road race car.
wow...amazing