Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Volvo S60R

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 02:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo S60R

Just found out about this car from a friend:

1) 2.5 liter inline 5 cylinder engine
2) KKK turbo boosted to 1 bar
3) 6-speed manual transmission
4) Full-time 4WD
5) 4-pot Brembo's front and rear
6) 2.5 turns lock-to-lock

http://old.volvocars.co.uk/r/

Looks like a pretty nifty ride. What do you guys think?
Old Jul 18, 2003, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

i like .. but i like the V70 R better
Old Jul 18, 2003, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

Car and Driver review

Seems like pretty good bang for the buck among European imports.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

That is a pretty sweet looking car. I wonder about the requirement of 98 octane though... I hope that's 98RON.
-N
Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ozlancer0z
i like .. but i like the V70 R better
I second that....

Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

a station wagon??? ah i guess to eash his own
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Mm...I'll take either. I've mentioned it repeatedly to my brother to get so he can tote his mountain bikes around. That or the Allroad...yum.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pjal84
Mm...I'll take either. I've mentioned it repeatedly to my brother to get so he can tote his mountain bikes around. That or the Allroad...yum.
Too bad the XC70 has "only" 205 hp... otherwise it would have been nice competition to the Allroad
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

If you've got to carry a bunch of stuff around, I'll take a wagon long before I drive a minivan or some lousy SUV. I prefer to actually drive and a wagon, especially one like the V70, will outhandle even most cars. You say to each his own, but I'd say choosing either other option is about as bad as getting an automatic... ;-)
-N
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

I drove the S60R on an auto x track about a month ago. It's a decent car, but nothing compare to an EVO when it comes to driving excitement. Though, I kinda like its interior and stereo.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by IS2000
I drove the S60R on an auto x track about a month ago. It's a decent car, but nothing compare to an EVO when it comes to driving excitement.
I really don't think it's supposed to. It's just supposed to be a very capable nice luxo sedan.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i'm super impressed by this car.

I recently got a chance to race a stock one (on a track). My car has all the basic stage 1 mods - exhaust, tune, 21psi, bov, fp, intake... I strongly feel that without these mods i would have lost to this car in stock form. From a roll he stayed exactly 2 car lengths behind me all the way through the end of 5th gear from a 2nd gear roll on, i was super impressed. From a stop he jumped me off the line (also awd) but by the end of first i had a car length on him, by the end of second i had another, and by the end of third he was solidly 2 car lengths behind me from then on again.

The cars stats are in the top of this thread, but they revised the looks for 2005 and this car is straight sexy.

I want one of these cars, BAD, and we all better hope the aftermarket doesn't expand for this car, because i will be waving goodbye to my Evo; it's the only thing holding me back.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i'm super impressed by this car.

I recently got a chance to race a stock one (on a track). My car has all the basic stage 1 mods - exhaust, tune, 21psi, bov, fp, intake... I strongly feel that without these mods i would have lost to this car in stock form. From a roll he stayed exactly 2 car lengths behind me all the way through the end of 5th gear from a 2nd gear roll on, i was super impressed. From a stop he jumped me off the line (also awd) but by the end of first i had a car length on him, by the end of second i had another, and by the end of third he was solidly 2 car lengths behind me from then on again.

The cars stats are in the top of this thread, but they revised the looks for 2005 and this car is straight sexy.

I want one of these cars, BAD, and we all better hope the aftermarket doesn't expand for this car, because i will be waving goodbye to my Evo; it's the only thing holding me back.
ya the S60 and V70Rs are extremely underrated...there is a limited aftermarket scene (namely ipd and EVOLVE) but there arre a few guys over on swedespeed.com that are running big turbos...one I think his name is R-rated is running a GT35r so it is possible to make these things into beasts....very spensive though...check out the website
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

These are fun cars. While living in Germany I picked my S60R at the factory in Gotenburg. Good times and fun car. Handling isn't nearly as sharp as the STi or Evo, nor is it as raw, but fun nevertheless and I sometimes wish I didn't sell it.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Nice car, and you can actually pick a used one up for a decent price. Still the aftermarket support for this car and many European cars are just very limited. Sure you can get some parts, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.

Also why do people always compare the EVO to another car, and always show the positives of the other car and completely ignore the positives of the EVO. Like I said the Volvo S60R is very nice, but it weighs in at a hefty 3700Lbs, I'm sorry but that car is no where near is nimble and light on it's feet as an EVO. The steering input isn't even on the same playing field. The interior of the S60R is very nice, well in comparison to the EVO, but still it's not great, and the seats are not nearly as attractive or comfy as my Recaros. Lots of gadets and sh*t come standard with S60R, but if you bought an EVO because you thought it had a bunch of gadgets, then I suggest you sell your car. The brakes on a S60R are Brembos, but their stopping 3700Lbs compared to 3150-3300Lbs of the EVO. The suspension is much softer, and some people would rather cruise to Vegas in S60R, but maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather drive at insanely fast speeds on my trip to Vegas and have my EVO not break a sweat keeping up with my ambitions. Also I may not be able to offer my passengers a soft not so bumpy ride of the S60R, but atleast they will have more room to stretch back there, yup, the EVO by far offers more room in the front and rear for passengers. Sure the AC sucks, the quality of build isn't as good, but hey it is damn fun ride, and hey that's why I bought the car, and in that department it delivers and then some. Also once I get tuned, I'll have to look hard and far to find any S60R even capable of staying with in two car lengths of me.

Quick Reply: Volvo S60R