Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Are supras really that godly?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one reason people love supras.....watch video. It takes a few seconds to play.

ryan woon testing some new tires on low boost...crazy launch

http://homepage.mac.com/rdwoon/8.9@159SIR.mov

Last edited by KIDBANGA10; Aug 10, 2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
No. I do not concur at all. While the Supra makes great power when well modded, the specific hp/displacement that the Supra achieves is easily toped by the specific hp/displacement on a 4G63.

Proportionally, the 4G63 makes more power than the 2jz, it just happens that the Supra engine starts with a greater engine.

Carlos

You are correct, proportionally (liter to liter) 4G63 "can" make more power, but total hp's it's still the 2JZ.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah dont get me wrong if i was handed a supra i wouldnt turn it down lol. same thing with an evo if i didnt have one.

Its just ppl make it seem like if you have an evo no matter what you do you cant hang with the supras and i guess i think differently...so would it be unrealistic to build my evo in such a manner that it can hang with them?

Right now I dont do an awful lot of racing because im still learning and still progressing..but i will..i have a daily driver car..the evo i drive only in the spring and summer and when its not raining otu so its pretty much my toy.

i just hate when ppl act like an evo cant hang with a supra at all lol but both cars are great..obviously i own one of the two but sometimes it just baffles me how nuts ppl go over these
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

stock motor, stock throttle body,full interior,stock 6speed, no nitrous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJI3-4aq-Y
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
They're only good in going in a straight line.

most ignorant comment here
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Meanmachine04
Yeah dont get me wrong if i was handed a supra i wouldnt turn it down lol. same thing with an evo if i didnt have one.

Its just ppl make it seem like if you have an evo no matter what you do you cant hang with the supras and i guess i think differently...so would it be unrealistic to build my evo in such a manner that it can hang with them?

Right now I dont do an awful lot of racing because im still learning and still progressing..but i will..i have a daily driver car..the evo i drive only in the spring and summer and when its not raining otu so its pretty much my toy.

i just hate when ppl act like an evo cant hang with a supra at all lol but both cars are great..obviously i own one of the two but sometimes it just baffles me how nuts ppl go over these

You can definitely make your Evo to go faster then normally modded Supra's. It all depends on how deep your wallet is. Most of this talk about max potential, you won't see on the street, let alone have some kind of speed contest with. Don't let anyone tell you that your car is not fast enough to hang with them. It's crap 99.999% of the time.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2JZ GTE can handle massing amounts of boost and HP before they must be replaced. The engine is impressively bullet proof from the factory.

Most owners who push it too far usually break a transfer case or something else before the engine gives. Then they upgrade and it's on like donkey kong.

Supras are great cars!

If I owned a MKIV, it would be literally just like this one:

BoostAlmighty MKIV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZr7EG5N7w
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

I've been a Supra nut for many years. I've had buddies own them and my brotheri in law had one. They cost alot to maintain for 1, and the insurance on them is just insane. I really wanted 1 for quite awhile but the fact that they truly are dyno queens and also the fact of people wanting $70k for a Toyota thats 15years old. No thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah..I also like supras. I have a pretty deep wallet I just went with the evo because I really like the way it looked..4 doors is kinda nice sometimes...it looks aggressive..and its a 2005 versus the newest supra you could have being a 98..not to mention a 15 year old car I am not paying 70-80k for haha.

Basically what I am doing with my EVO is modding it progressively and as I become a better driver and get used to the power I add more mods so that I can have more power. To me thats pretty fun and I like the fact that I also have good potential for power.

I just never understood why supras were on a whole different level thats all. But I guess I am starting to see now.

When people ask me what my goal is for my EVO I just tell them I want a car thats ridiculously fast with full interior thats all haha.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Ive also always wanted a supra for a long time, and going to get one once i get home. JDM I6 I heard the best thing about supra motor is that it can take the abuse of the upgraded turbos, and its a straight I-6 cylindered- engine like e46 m3, so the power delivery is better than most v6s or v8s. This is what i heard from a supra owner.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yep he wasnt lieing my friend has one but ive only been in it one time...he only drives it like 5 or 6 times during the summer...I just dont like hearing that I cannot hang with a supra at all...he never made the comment but I hear things like oooh nice evo but too bad wont hang with a supra...pissed meo ff haha
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

In the end, it's all about usable hp's on the street. 500+hp machines is not something you want to be driving to get your groceries in day in and day out. High hp's cars are also usually tempermental and not that fun (loud, high tempertures across all your components, heavy clutch engagment and disengagement, and so on) to drive through in traffic.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yep thats true but I only drive my evo when its not raining and in the spring and summer. I have a car I can go get groceries in mahwhwh
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

building a supra is like cheating in a video game
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sl0ev0
building a supra is like cheating in a video game
Hahahaha