Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdosu
Thanks for the comments, I agree with most of your comments, but I don't agree with a few.

The E9X M3 is faster than than Evo X on the track. Road and Track tested both cars (in addition to 6 others) on a high speed oval, a long and short autoX track, and both Street of Willows track and the M3 was faster than the Evo X in all. And yes, they were all driven by the same guy on the same day.

Also, you guys didn't get my hint. There's no way I would drop $70k for the M3. It's not worth $70k in my mind. I picked the M3 with 8k miles for $46k cash. No it's not a wrecked title, or a demo, or anything. That's $6k or so more than I would have forked over a new Evo X MR or a new Evo 9 MR back in the day. To me, it was a no brainer to pick it up.

On the side note, for $70k I would have picked up a Z06.

Also, since I plan on keeping it for about 8-10 years, I won't be modding it at all.
I did see that test, the M3 is a great buy IMO, but you know you could have also gotten a used Z06 for around $45K if that is what you really wanted.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:34 AM

Owner of both cars but I still love the EVO more. It's just something about the rawness and handling capability of the EVO. I love it.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
I did see that test, the M3 is a great buy IMO, but you know you could have also gotten a used Z06 for around $45K if that is what you really wanted.
no, that's not what I wanted. I needed a sedan with less than 10k miles.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 06:37 PM

Interesting comparison between the two.
Can't really debate it too much though as the price tag varies so much.
Definitely a downer not to have the same passion as other car people do when you pass or see others in the same car though. I thought that part was a neat angle to hear about.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking to get into one of these e90 m3s as well. But there is no way I can get rid of the evo.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:01 AM
Evolving Member

I picked up an e92 M3 for xmas myself. Couldn't imagine giving up the evo
though. I have a difficult time figuring out which one to dd. Both are amazing to drive and the M3 is a head turner.

Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats!! it is a beautiful car. I almost got one but I got $12000 + a tint window job off my MSRP on my C63 AMG.
The sound of the M-3 is beutiful however the torque is not the best in the lower RPMS(you think it its) but try a C63 or a C6 Z06 or even a 335i and you will see that the M-3 torque is mediocre. Despite all this you have a heck of a car, congrats.

Carlos
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by savaho
though. I have a difficult time figuring out which one to dd. Both are amazing to drive and the M3 is a head turner.

Amaizing cars bro!
Old May 9, 2011, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

love black cars huh? lol. I can't get use to the interior dimensions of a E92, it just seems too big, I'm too used to driving sedans.

My M3 is now at 15k. It makes me smile evertime I drive it.

Originally Posted by savaho

Old May 15, 2011, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
love the E90/E92 M3. I thought about getting one myself after making the mistake of selling my EVO IX MR and buying an EVO X SE. I needed something better on gas though, and I didn't want to spend a lot on something and not know if I was going to like it or not. I ended up going with an E92 335i, and so far i love it. If I still had my IX MR, I wouldn't have ever looked at getting another car right now, but compared to the EVO X, the 335i is hands down the better car in every aspect.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

nice little write up. obviously they are very different cars, but it seems like people who owned evos "grow up" to either the m3 or the gtr. and for 46k?! wow I would do that over a new X hands down.

I love my evo, i keep coming close to selling her, but for the price I would get for it, I couldnt afford anything close in regards to fun factor. and you are absolutely right about the "brotherhood" factor, something the evo has and the germans dont (at least not from audi/bimmers I had).

that being said, if i did sell it, the m3, gt3rs, or 997 turbo would be the next jump. are you planning on modding it at all? I think some nice hre wheels would really make it pop, not a huge fan of the stockers. either way, congrats on the purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it!
Old May 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice M3.

I too just got bitten by the luxo-bug. Evo was in the shop getting an exhaust leak fixed (don't ask), so Enterprise let me drive a new '11 C300 Merc for not much more than a Hyundai. I liked it way more than I thought I would. Now I am looking at getting an '06 CLS55 for my daily driver once I do my Evo build.

BTW, who the heck drives a stock Evo anyways?
Old May 25, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

very nice write up...i love the M3. I am actually waiting for the new generation M3 to come out and also waiting for the C63 Coupe. I am going to test drive both and make a decision. But from the prototype pics of both cars, i am almost sure the M# will get to come home with me unless the C63 completely blows my mind.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
nice little write up. obviously they are very different cars, but it seems like people who owned evos "grow up" to either the m3 or the gtr. and for 46k?! wow I would do that over a new X hands down.

I love my evo, i keep coming close to selling her, but for the price I would get for it, I couldnt afford anything close in regards to fun factor. and you are absolutely right about the "brotherhood" factor, something the evo has and the germans dont (at least not from audi/bimmers I had).

that being said, if i did sell it, the m3, gt3rs, or 997 turbo would be the next jump. are you planning on modding it at all? I think some nice hre wheels would really make it pop, not a huge fan of the stockers. either way, congrats on the purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it!

i won't be modding the M3 at all, this car has to last well over 120k. I personally love the OEM 18 graphite wheels. I really dont' like the OEM 19s, they have too much bling on it.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SickSilverNLow
very nice write up...i love the M3. I am actually waiting for the new generation M3 to come out and also waiting for the C63 Coupe. I am going to test drive both and make a decision. But from the prototype pics of both cars, i am almost sure the M# will get to come home with me unless the C63 completely blows my mind.

If you want mind numbing, stupid fast, straight line speed, the C63 hands down wins it. The exhaust note on the C63 is just orgasmic.

The M3 gives a better balance, and is faster on a road course. Personally, I very well could have bought the C63 had I been able to find one with the right options and price range at the time of purchase. The problem is, there's the C63 with the P31 performance package which adds 30 more HP. I know wtf would I need that much more power? But i would feel horrible buying a C63 then knowing there's a signifcantly better C63 out there.

The M3 has a Comp. package, but it's not incrementally that much faster or better than the standard M3.

Quick Reply: E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8