Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The E90 M3 is definitely on my list of dream cars, and it's hopefully the next one on the list after the EVO!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

It is a fun V8 in that it is so high reving and makes good horsepower, but as Carlos had mentioned in his post, the low torque becomes quite obvious. Overall it is an incredible car, but it doesn't really give the sensation of power like the C63 or even like the new 5.0 Mustang for that matter.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoMeIX
It is a fun V8 in that it is so high reving and makes good horsepower, but as Carlos had mentioned in his post, the low torque becomes quite obvious. Overall it is an incredible car, but it doesn't really give the sensation of power like the C63 or even like the new 5.0 Mustang for that matter.

Yeah, agreed. The "sensation of power" or "butt dyno" is part of the perception of speed. Although 5.0 or C63 is faster in a straight line and snaps you neck back with it's initial torque, on a road course, the overall balance of power and chassis set up allows the M3 to be much faster.

The delivery of torque also matters. In the M3, the max torque comes on half way to redline and stays constant to redline, no drop off in torque numbers.

Additionally, torque is a function of gearing too. I'll spare my energy in explanation, but here's a writeup on M3post more-or-less discounting torque numbers as a dominate measure of performance and speed:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157633

In short a 295 lb/ft torque in a DCT M3 is just as fast as a C63 with 443 lbs/ft up until the point where the 40+ hp advantage of the C63 will allow the C63 to pull ahead.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

i definetly am a fan of the M3 coupe, not to fond of the sedan version. but as others said its definetly not a fair comparison. one car is sold new for close to what $60k or so ??? the evo 8 when it was NEW i heard stories of some being sold for around $40K..

As for power stock for stock yes a stock M3 will outpower and evo 8. but remember what happens when the 8 is modded??? it definetly wont beat the evo then.

and also as someone else stated modding the evo is expensive hobby, but definetly not as expensive as a BMW.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

long time no post...haha. Not many reasons that is bringing me back to the old forum. I currently have 29k on the M3.

The M3 is currently unmodified to a major extent. I do have a lot of cosmetic mods:
1. Edition kidney grills (glossy)
2. 3M clear bra installed this week
3. OEM carbon leather interior trim swapped in (use to have aluminum)
4. F30 M Performance gear knob
5. angel eye bulb upgrade (then subsequently, downgraded back to OEM halogens)
6. updated cic idrive knob
7. color match reflectors

Here are some recent pics from the clear bra install:

Last edited by mdosu; Jul 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

still many more smiles per mile. I hate to say it, I don't miss my old Evo 8 one bit.

I also noticed that there's a lot less Evo 8 and 9s around these days. The ones I do see are usually beat up now, or driven by high school kids...i suppose the original crowd all moved on...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
still many more smiles per mile. I hate to say it, I don't miss my old Evo 8 one bit.

I also noticed that there's a lot less Evo 8 and 9s around these days. The ones I do see are usually beat up now, or driven by high school kids...i suppose the original crowd all moved on...
You are definitely one of the few who do not miss their Evo 8 after getting rid of it. I've known a couple of guys who after getting rid of their 8's or 9's for something such as an M5, 335, M3, C6 z06, and a Ford Raptor had to have another Evo 8 or Evo 9 to go along with their “grown up or big boy car”. None of their previous Evo’s was slightly modified though such as the case with your Evo apparently, they were much modified. I use to love the M3’s and still don’t mind them as much but I know longer have to have one. They are very common cars here in Dallas and for me due to the advancement of the other manufactures the current day M3 has lost a lot of what made it special to me and seems over priced for what you get these days. That didn’t use to be the case with that car, but now for me it is. Glad you love your car man that is the way it is suppose to be when you invest in something. I in turn at 39 years of age am still loving my 2003 Evo 8 GSR that I bought new back in 2004 for under $28k, which has been paid off since 2008, now has over 110k on the odometer with somewhere close to 500 awhp (I think, might be more when I’m on my E85 map@32 lbs of boost), and the car still turns plenty of heads wherever I go. I love this freaking thing but as a mature family man who knows that a good family sedan my particular Evo 8 does not make, my H3 or the Wife’s Mercedes comes in and fills that role just perfectly
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Whenever its not raining, I always use my Evo for DD with the family. Its no luxury car, but with the right mods its a great looking, well-mannered 500 whp street car. My daughter and I both love it, and my wife doesn't mind it. As much as I think the M3 is a bad-*** looking car, I don't think I could ever sell my Evo for an M3. The M3 is not that much better, and its a dead end for modding. It would have to be a 4-door CTS-V or some AWD 4-door sedan that can be modded.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 05:08 AM

No spun engine bearings yet? A popular issue with this V8. Definitely a fun car to drive though but the motor definiely needs the bearing upgrade if you have not done it already.

Old Dec 16, 2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mdosu

there also is a strong F30,F80/82 brotherhood quite like Evo’s and DSMs.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 04:42 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
The BMW is rated as being more comfortable and luxurious than an Evo? Whaaaaa?

Using this criteria, the BMW is a no brainer, since the Evo was never meant to be anything close to that.

A person buying a car for track duty will have the opposite opinion.

All to be expected. The M3 is such a great car.

Last edited by kaj; Dec 16, 2018 at 05:10 PM.