Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedtres
nice little write up. obviously they are very different cars, but it seems like people who owned evos "grow up" to either the m3 or the gtr. and for 46k?! wow I would do that over a new X hands down.

I love my evo, i keep coming close to selling her, but for the price I would get for it, I couldnt afford anything close in regards to fun factor. and you are absolutely right about the "brotherhood" factor, something the evo has and the germans dont (at least not from audi/bimmers I had).

that being said, if i did sell it, the m3, gt3rs, or 997 turbo would be the next jump. are you planning on modding it at all? I think some nice hre wheels would really make it pop, not a huge fan of the stockers. either way, congrats on the purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it!
yeah thats the weirdest thing. i drive a ralliart and i was at light waiting to turn left. i see about 500 feet away an evo going past the light . it was a silver evo with tinted windows. all i saw was a thumbs up sticking out the window as he was passing me by. lol. i was like "yeah"
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

why not do a used M5 for about the same price? (just curious, i'm sure there's good reasons).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very nice i like it..but still no handling..power like an Evo..Oh Well i guess u said "time for luxury" lolz
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I'm about like you were, but for me I'm actually looking at trading my other vehicle in for a slightly used 2010 CTS-V. I've actually been able to find some locally for between 43,000-46,000. Even though my Evo 8 has been a pain in my rear end at times, I just can't seem to let her go. My Wife on the other hand would probabaly love to see that car gone Congrats on the M3
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

I just traded my SRT8 in for the EVO 9 MR. I was REALLY close to getting an E92 after test driving it. AWESOME car and spot on with the OP. At the end of the day it came down to me wanting the best of both (my) worlds. I live in San Diego And will be getting a Ford Raptor after my next deployment to take advantage of the deserts (Raptor) and the mountain roads (EVO).

Congrats on the purchase!!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:41 PM

i would love a 4 door M3 i slap a for sale quick on the evo lol
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
why not do a used M5 for about the same price? (just curious, i'm sure there's good reasons).
i get in to a M5 for the same price, I'll have to get an 2006, and most of those are out of warranty and around 30k miles. Not worth it to me. M5 is a great GT car, but I wanted something sharper...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brenner
This comparison is like comparing The Wynn hotel with a Super 8.

The M3 will beat the Evo in every way shape and form. (except around the track)
I agree with this statement! As far as looks, interior and overall street comfort the M3 wins hands down! But when it comes to performance the M3 is probably very slightly faster than the Evo 8 in stock form...But in reality a better comparison would be to compare a stock Evo 9 to this model M3 performance wise...The stock 9 is faster around the track and in a straight line about equal in stock form compared to the M3 and when it comes to modding (bolt on's or fully built) the Evo makes this no comparison...Don't get me wrong, the M3 is no slug around the track but to you would have to mod a M3 pretty heavily to even try and keep up (around a track) with a Evo 9 with bolt on's and a tune (even assuming the evo is still on stock turbo and stock cams)...When most people buy a M3 they are buying it for a good looking quick street daily driver car...When a lot of people buy an Evo they are buying it for track performance with the idea of running it on the track a lot

Note: The E92 M3 did run the Nurburgring in 8:05 compared the the Stock Evo IX's 8:11....But the Evo did run its Nurburgring lap partially in the rain
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to exhume such an old thread. As far as back seat leg room goes. Which one has more leg room? Or are they both about the same?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Only thing I don't like about this generation M3 is the power bulge on the hood and the little dinky vents on either side. It just looks ridiculous to me. If the V10 M5 with basically the same engine didn't need them why does the M3?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only luxury upgrade I would do is a GTR. My other vehichle is a z71 truck although it would be nice to drive a luxury car with performance I would rather have the 2 extremes DD for one and race car for my other. I dont think I will ever find more excitement then driving around my 700+hp 4 cyl.

Great looking car though.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Only thing I don't like about this generation M3 is the power bulge on the hood and the little dinky vents on either side. It just looks ridiculous to me. If the V10 M5 with basically the same engine didn't need them why does the M3?

The M5 does have the vents on the fenders...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brembo350z
The M5 does have the vents on the fenders...
I'm not talking about the fenders, I'm talking about the hood.

BMW always makes the M5 about 10x classier then the M3.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Sorry to exhume such an old thread. As far as back seat leg room goes. Which one has more leg room? Or are they both about the same?

Evo 8 has more rear leg room. Evo also has more lateral room as well. The middle seat in the M3 sedan is really small. Overall the E90 body is a pretty small and compact sedan.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:45 PM

Nice non-technical review. the v8 in the e90 m3 is truly incredible.

Quick Reply: E90 M3 review vs. Evo 8