Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Outlander vs Outlander Sport???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outlander vs Outlander Sport???

Ok here's a quick overview of the details:

- Replacing a 1995 Toyota Tacoma (trucks these days aren't as economical, so not replacing with another truck)
- Other family car is 2004 Toyota Camry
- No small car seems worth it, so it looks like we're shopping for a CUV
- MPG is important, so no V6 Outlander
- Either one would be in SE trim
- Father will take this or the Camry for his commute to Austin (from Houston) for work; he makes the drive home every other weekend so MPG is a factor

Prices are about the same, so the money is just put elsewhere in the smaller Sport. Not sure which would fit us better - both are great vehicles.

Outlander Sport SE
+ Looks
+ Super-Wide HIDs (these are super f-ing cool)
+ Push-Button
+ Telescoping Wheel
+ Auto Wipers
+ Low wind noise
+ Ride quality is comfortable
+ Adaptive Power Steering and size makes it easier to maneuver
+ Auto Climate Control (my dad really prefers this for some reason)
- Loud drivetrain noise when accelerating
- Seats are pretty stiff
- Feels a little claustrophobic without the Moonroof in the Premium Package (idk if we'll opt for it)

Outlander SE
+ Utility (but both kids will have moved out by December)
+ Seats are much more comfortable
+ Space/2nd row makes it more comfortable for the family (but then it's overlapping our Camry as a family vehicle)
+ Tailgate
+ Less drivetrain noise
- Outlander Sport looks much better imo
- More wind-noise
- Halogens
- No Climate Control
- No Telescoping Wheel
- Not Push-Button Start
- Ride quality is a little less comfortable (trade-off is the seats are better)

Parents will be back soon to try both back-to-back. Initially they wanted a car since they're not SUV people, but not satisfied with any small car, I suggested the Outlander Sport (small car mileage, CUV ulitity). Then my father obviously read the better reviews for the regular Outlander - but he didn't complain about the main complaints of the Sport - the engine noise and lack of power.

Just wondering if there are any points I overlooked. I work sales at a Mitsu dealership so price isn't really a factor, just picking the right car. Outlander is a good all-around purchase, but I would be giving up some really cool niche features in the Sport.

We're seriously divided 50/50 right now.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife has a 2009 Outlander XLS (V6) that she bought brand new. Honestly, its like every other mitsubishi - spartan interior but everything else is functional. She averages 22mpg and that is 85% city driving. I would not recommend the 4 cyl in the Outlander. Hers has leather, the RF sound system, sunroof, HID's, 4WD. Its been very good to us so far and has even done well in the big snow storm (2 feet) last winter that hit the Pittsburgh area - that was on the less than stellar 18 inch all seasons. We've driven from here to Washington DC and was very comfortable on that trip. She absolutely loves it.