Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Spark Plug boots melted on the spark plug?

Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug boots melted on the spark plug?

My grandparents 2006 Hyundai Elantra messed up the other day. I started working on it today and found 2 codes. One for a Cam angle sensor and #3 misfire. I put a new cam angle sensor on and it started and ran, but had a stumble under load. I figured I would check the plugs/wires. I had alot of trouble last time I changed the plugs/wires as the factory boots tore (OHV car with spark plugs on top in between the cams). When I got the boot tore off (AC Delco replacement wires), I seen the rubber bottom insulators were melted to the bottom of the plug blocking the socket from going on. I got #3 cleaned off and a new set of wires, but when I went to replace #1 they were the same, also along with #2 and I imagine that #4 is the same too.

Now I do know the car over heated, but I dont think it was bad enough to get the head gasket. They said they pulled over when they noticed it. The car will run/drive fine above idle, and only has a slight stumble at idle along with the #3 misfire code coming back after clearing.

How hot would it have to be to melt those? Would it cause any other issues?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

I would do a compression test on the motor and then go from there.

Some wires have pretty cheap construction with lower melting points. I would go with a different and better brand of wires. Such as MSD.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use di-electric grease on the wires next time... will keep them from sticking
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Well I got it all cleaned. I didnt take a pic as I was in a hurry to get it back together to see what/if anything else is wrong. But here is a image I found online.

Just imagine a pool of rubber ontop of the area for the socket to go. Thats how deep it was. After several tool purchases I got desperate and decided to spray some PB Blaster in there (I love that ****, more so now then eva!) and it desolved it enough to put a socket on it, but still allow me to pull most of it out.