Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

03 evo for newer sti

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you want the car that, you can enjoy without worry or spend huge money on fixing it. You should enjoy the sti since it will have a warranty. Its not that bad i think.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by deadstockkpomp
im simply stating that i have a USED 03 evolution which will obviously have its flaws hence the word used. Yes the car aggravates me sometimes but i do like it. Thats the price you pay buying a used car and im currently paying for it now. Your saying that just because i spent a price that you believe is to good to be true on it that its a complete lemon not knowing any background information on the vehicle. That sounds ignorant to me. Back to the topic on which vehicle would be more suitable for my needs.
i bought my rs for $7k with 33k miles, clean title, spent 10k more on a complete build and now its flawless, I also scored a great deal, so i did not meant to be ignorant But..your saying your looking for the car that meets your needs and in your original post you even say your evo pisses you off lately which tells me you have re-occurring problems. now your saying that it only has one issue and that its in decent shape. frankly im ****ing confused..
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef-j
Sounds like you want the car that, you can enjoy without worry or spend huge money on fixing it. You should enjoy the sti since it will have a warranty. Its not that bad i think.
+1 i wonder if my evo will ever be like that i dont beat on it i hope i can get it to a point where its almost 100% reliable
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 i wonder if my evo will ever be like that i dont beat on it i hope i can get it to a point where its almost 100% reliable
Imo. Everyone has different set in their mind about "realible"
I think your car is realible, it just not making power. My buddy has his for 6 yrs, just minor issues untill he upgrade to bigger turbo. Now his motor gave up. I still can say his car was realible untill he changed turbo.
I picked up my evo this jan. no problem expect idle issue with A/C on and my 4th gear slowly going out. Is it realible? Yeah. I still have no problem driving everyday, just cant fast shift. Lol.

Car makes trouble, especially turbo/SC cars. There is some down time and cost arm&leg to repair/replace. That same goes to STi even its new....ofcourse will feel better because its new and warranty.

Im seriously thinking about pick up cheap daily in future.

Good luck to you
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

im 18 and i have a beater truck i just have high expectations from my "good" vehicle
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm sure this will cause some controversy but if you're trading in an 03 Evo, I think you're getting a better car in the STI. I'm fairly certain the 03 Evo didn't have a front LSD, but rather an open diff. It also doesn't have MIVEC. If you were considering trading in a newer Evo (late VIII or IX, or even an X) I wouldn't recommend it, but I think a newer STI is a better car than an old Evo. You could also consider just getting a newer Evo.

Despite what people on an Evo forum say, STIs are not ticking time bombs nor are they lame ducks. Yes Subaru has had issues with ringlands. That is a known problem. However, it's relatively rare. I've yet to know someone personally that has had a confirmed ringland issue and I've had a turbo Subaru and been a part of the local club for 5ish years now. Power is easy to make assuming you're not shooting for the moon. If you want 500 WHP, buy a Corvette, Evo, Mustang, etc. If you just want a peppier daily, stage 2 (downpipe and tune) produces substantial gains. One thing that STIs have is torque which I think makes them great daily drivers.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't plan on doing lot's of mods, the STI will be just fine. The Evo X is a great DD though. I've had 5 Evos and an STI (built motor, 35R) for reference. I'll never do a high horsepower STI again.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fromWRXtoEvo, a guy named Carlos on here, just did a comparison of the new STI to evos...take a look on this other car thread and you'll find it...good read it was
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does anyone own or has anyone ever drove a 2011 or 2012 sti? would it be a good upgrade from an 03 evo 8. im not talking about tracking the car im saying for weekend use and cruising. My evos been pissing me off lately and im thinking about just getting something newer. i love the new subarus and the packages they come with are pretty awesome. Is the new sti worth its price tag at all. pros and cons of it.
I owned 4 Evos and I curreently own a 2012 STI. what is up baby? how can I help you?

I would suggest the WRX over the STI is you want 95% of the trill with 100% of the savings on your pocket. Unless you are very serious about the STI I think that the WRX is a better deal for the money but I own 2012 STI because I love it.

The newer STI is particularily better ride than the older 2003 Evo 8, plain and simple but if you still want to mod boths cars I would always stay with the Evo. The STI is more enjoyable to ride specially because stuff like softer suspension ride, cruise control, etc.

Go and test drive the basic WRX, you will love it. I promise.

Carlos