Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Help/opinions on what to buy next?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help/opinions on what to buy next?

Ok, so I sold my WRX that I had... I've been flipping cars for years and was just never totally satisfied. I loved my Evo X, but wound up selling it due to my idiot brother messing it up and it never feeling the same again.

The Subaru was a nice car.. definitely a good car, but i'm 35 now, have lower back arthritis and bulging discs and between the HORRIBLE support the Subie seats had, and having to use a clutch anyway, I just decided to sell it.

Staying under 30k would be best for me, but for the perfect car, I could go to 35 possibly.

I'm not interested in kids type cars if any of you all my age know what I mean. For instance, I would buy an Evo X MR, but the GSR is more sort of kiddish in it's looks. The small lip spoiler and the auto would be nice. (no offense meant to anyone here, just my view on things). It doesn't really matter because finding an MR that was new for 35 OTD is pretty much impossible, and used many of them have been modded or driven hard and you just never know when that auto might pop with to much power that someone might have driven it with.

I have a 3 month old now and so a safe car is first on my list, but I also want fun and fast right out of the box... don't really feel like modding anymore except maybe a few things here and there.

My list so far has included:
Dodge Charger R/T (I know I know) I'm not really a domestic guy, but with 4 way lumbar, and a whole lot of bells and whistles for the money I like the Blacktop Edition a lot. Very safe, big and heavy car that would only really need a little suspension work to make it a really fun car.

VW GTI (2015) I've seen some good reviews on it and so far everyone that tests it really seems to love it. Chassis is much more stiff, so will likely be much more reliable. Size is up slightly in them and trunk space is good ... but maybe still to kiddish?

BMW 335i or 335d: Definitely better mileage on the latter, a lot of torque to make it a fun car with the sport package, and though they aren't making them anymore.. getting a certified pre owned might not be to bad. Their reliability doesn't have the best record based off of many of the threads I've seen on bimmerforums. Safety rating isn't quite as good as the Dodge and though the new GTI hasn't been tested... i'd be willing to bet it winds up a 5 star car.

Audi S4: Cost is high on these, even those with higher miles, but as I said in the other thread, I just read that they are quite reliable and their rank is up to 8th of most reliable cars on the road. I have considered the A models, but they all seem quite underpowered.

A car such as the dodge isn't the best in all areas, but even looking at just a few parts they are soooooo much cheaper than they were for my Subie. Like I said, an exhaust, CAI and tune on those cars has yielded 370 whp and 400 ft. lb torque. Here again... the weight of the car is both good and bad with some sway bars, springs, and much better brake pads would be needed.

The other cars are of course much more agile, but used vs. new for the price, you do get a lot. Paint I hear isn't the greatest on them though and as a detailer... that's something that's important as well.

Opinions or suggestions on other cars?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have to add that the new GTI seems to be an excellent car... the only bad thing I've read about it in any article is simply the exhaust note should be louder. With the new diff. it's cut 8 seconds of it's nurburgring time.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 05:27 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get an S4 and call it a day (from that list). Its an Audi, meaning its not going to be cheap to fix/maintain BUT it is a very comfy and legit ride. You can mod the hell out of it too if you wanted to.

My buddy's dad actually just got a Charger R/T, they did a much better job with it this time around. I personally wouldn't buy them just because to me they handle like gigantic boats.

As for the GTI, even though they are AWD I still think it's for chicks or people wanting to "stance" them which is just <insert whatever you want here that is negative>.

BMW is overrated.

At the age of 35, i would strongly suggest getting the S4. A local car guy around here just got an 2010 S4 and it really is great, he actually "raped" his as in... Cams, "slammed" suspension etc... He didn't tastefully mod it but if you were to be smart about it, you could make it very clean and extremely enjoyable!

Also, Not sure where you are but I could PM you info of a friend of mine who has a small dealership that deals rare/performance vehicles via dealer network or auctions, Located in AR though.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T6
Get an S4 and call it a day (from that list). Its an Audi, meaning its not going to be cheap to fix/maintain BUT it is a very comfy and legit ride. You can mod the hell out of it too if you wanted to.

My buddy's dad actually just got a Charger R/T, they did a much better job with it this time around. I personally wouldn't buy them just because to me they handle like gigantic boats.

As for the GTI, even though they are AWD I still think it's for chicks or people wanting to "stance" them which is just <insert whatever you want here that is negative>.

BMW is overrated.

At the age of 35, i would strongly suggest getting the S4. A local car guy around here just got an 2010 S4 and it really is great, he actually "raped" his as in... Cams, "slammed" suspension etc... He didn't tastefully mod it but if you were to be smart about it, you could make it very clean and extremely enjoyable!

Also, Not sure where you are but I could PM you info of a friend of mine who has a small dealership that deals rare/performance vehicles via dealer network or auctions, Located in AR though.
I'm not interested in doing the modding thing much anymore. I'm just had enough of "if I just do this and that'll be enough" sort of thing. I don't even drive fast. I like to KNOW that if I need it, it's there though. Naturally if I could afford it another Evo X would be my first pick (if it was an MR)... here again though... the price and the gas becomes a problem because it's me, my Wife, and a baby. That money adds up pretty fast which is less for me lol. I haven't seen (on ebay at least) any s4's that weren't 33-36k.