Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mainstream car companies: Who are your favorites and least favorites? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 06:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Mainstream car companies: Who are your favorites and least favorites? Why?

Favorites:

1) Porsche SE/ VW AG- This diesel scandal is hurting them, but they were the #1 automotive manufacturer in the world until recently. So many fantastic cars and brands are under this umbrella. From the humble GTI to the wild Aventador, there's something here for every car guy.

2) BMW- To me, BMW gets it. They understand how to make drivers cars with style and performance. Even the more family and business oriented cars still have lots of power, and they drive the proper wheels.

3) Mitsubishi- For 25 years, Evos have been handling and grip monsters that are overbuilt like crazy, able to take insane amounts of modifications. The rest of the brand is extremely lackluster. Mitsu turbos are used in many other brands; I can't help but love their engineering.

Least favorites:

1) Honda/Acura- There was a time where Honda made the some of the best little sports cars on the planet. Those days are gone. The great handling and sexy cars have been replaced with bulbous and ugly machines and all the performance has been engineered completely out.

2) Dodge- The Viper is under appreciated and still overpriced. Outside of it, Dodge is a performance company that makes overweight wallowing barges. Their Ford and Chevrolet competitors just trounce them. The Hellcat engine is exceptional and has plenty of headroom. Too bad they are put in horrible cars like the modern Challenger and Charger.

3) Kia- There just isn't anything exciting in Hyundai's Kia line. These cars depreciate fast, and people that try to trade them in are usually thousands of dollars underwater. Who thought the Soul was a good idea?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Favorite? Ferrari, case closed.

You can have anything better here - better there etc etc. BUT there is only ONE car company doesn't need an introduction, if someone ask what car you drive. When you say Ferrari, there is no more to say to that, as I said : case closed ...

You have to understand Ferrari is like the pope for a church.

engine ...

the Dino from the very beginning:

and one of the latest....

the most lame ones are like those what ever named Ssang young or what ever companies. lol

http://www.smotor.com/en/index.html
Old Dec 3, 2015, 07:43 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I agree with Ferrari. I don't care what else you own or drive. They look, sound, and perform amazing. My favorite.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 08:29 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Ferrari definitely belongs up top!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I agree with Ferrari. I don't care what else you own or drive. They look, sound, and perform amazing. My favorite.
oh and the sound you are right

Old Dec 4, 2015, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Least favorite: Chrysler/Jeep hands down. I don't think it's even close.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
If the OP's intent with "mainstream" in the title of thread is what I think it is, Ferrari doesn't belong here, it's hardly a mainstream car manufacturer. I think he meant a manufacturer who's cars you commonly see on the road.

In which case, I would choose Audi. I would love me an RS7 with some APR upgrades for 600whp+ highway cruising...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 04:20 PM
kaj

I assume mainstream meant anything manufactured, as opposed to one-offs.
Eh well.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Some of the Ferrari's have low enough production numbers that they are essentially one-off's. When you make a 1200 car sand stop, I wouldn't call that a "production" vehicle lol.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 06:48 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Some of the Ferrari's have low enough production numbers that they are essentially one-off's. When you make a 1200 car sand stop, I wouldn't call that a "production" vehicle lol.
7000 per year isnt a lot. True. But they have been around since the 60s. They have dealerships all over the world and, damn it, I like the way they sound! LOL
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
7000 per year isnt a lot. True. But they have been around since the 60s. They have dealerships all over the world and, damn it, I like the way they sound! LOL
exactly.

Then make the FIAT the number one for me.

Best cars there for me.
Ferrari and two of the best rally cars there too. etc.

SO DD Ferrari and race the Citroen.

then there is the Pegueot the Maserati and the Alfa

Talking about Alfa, did you guys know how they sound???

that is also a pure sex.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

And there is something exiting will coming in the mix of the US market....

"It has 505 horsepower from a Ferrari-developed, 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6. It does zero to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds. Alfa Romeo claims a Nürburgring time of just 7:39, supposedly the quickest ever for a sedan. Yes, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is going to kick all the asses.

Or so Fiat Chrysler hopes, anyway. The automaker finally debuted new high-performance sport sedan in America for the first time ever at the LA Auto Show today
."

http://experts.inpwrd.com/read?id=73...67701d9cc1e6f7

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 6, 2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Subaru. Because they are committed to making affordable turbo awd cars.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
personally I don't care about car companies, only specific cars. Lets take Mitsubishi for example, the only car they sold in the US worth a damn is the Evo, the rest of their line up was always sh*t (some may argue the 3000GT and Montero, I personally disagree on both counts).

I don't understand brand loyalty when it comes to car brands. Just cause a car company makes a good sports car, doesn't mean their minivan is good too. This is most apparent with american car owners. If the guy owns a vette, the rest of the cars in their family are also chevy's, same thing with mustang owners...

as far as brands I don't like, I don't like Korean cars cause I'm a bit of a car racist. and I don't like VW cause most VW owners are idiots... lots of honda/acura owners are the same way but for some reason it doesn't bug me as much...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by warmmilk
personally I don't care about car companies, only specific cars. Lets take Mitsubishi for example, the only car they sold in the US worth a damn is the Evo, the rest of their line up was always sh*t (some may argue the 3000GT and Montero, I personally disagree on both counts).

I don't understand brand loyalty when it comes to car brands. Just cause a car company makes a good sports car, doesn't mean their minivan is good too. This is most apparent with american car owners. If the guy owns a vette, the rest of the cars in their family are also chevy's, same thing with mustang owners...

as far as brands I don't like, I don't like Korean cars cause I'm a bit of a car racist. and I don't like VW cause most VW owners are idiots... lots of honda/acura owners are the same way but for some reason it doesn't bug me as much...
i feel that way about Honda. they don't really make much that i don't like. their build quality is good, across the board, and their performance vehicles speak for themselves (though i miss a true Type R and the S2000).

i daily a Civic DX now.. but i really like the brand, in general. probably always will.

Quick Reply: Mainstream car companies: Who are your favorites and least favorites? Why?