Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 03:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
All were MT Evo FE's though.
every FE is MT, there is no SST option

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 22, 2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 03:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I see this thread has gone full retard again.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 06:41 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Supply vs. demand. RS is imported in super limited numbers to the US, and the X changed very little in its 8 year run. To make matters worse, the 2015 is a pretty convincing downgrade from the 2014.

I don't think the RS is as good of a performance mods canvas, but it'll have IX-like resale someday, great hatch cargo, and refinement substantially beyond any Evo. If I could easily afford both, I'd pick up an RS at MSRP.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Supply vs. demand. RS is imported in super limited numbers to the US, and the X changed very little in its 8 year run. To make matters worse, the 2015 is a pretty convincing downgrade from the 2014.

I don't think the RS is as good of a performance mods canvas, but it'll have IX-like resale someday, great hatch cargo, and refinement substantially beyond any Evo. If I could easily afford both, I'd pick up an RS at MSRP.
I think a possible pain point in the future is the RDU/lack of center diff. If it blows up you are ****ed.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Sure, but we don't know it's limits at this point which goes both ways.'Memba when the GTR was apparently maxed out from the factory and would throw codes with aftermarket wheels? I 'memba that.
The following users liked this post:
stvn87903 (Nov 23, 2016)
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Sure, but we don't know it's limits at this point which goes both ways.'Memba when the GTR was apparently maxed out from the factory and would throw codes with aftermarket wheels? I 'memba that.
I'm not even really talking about modded. Because of the lack of a center diff you must have a working RDU. So even if you are just making fast-food runs you need it. At least from some of the Focus RS threads the RDU just hides from power.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:17 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
MSRP of both vehicles are what should be compared.

Find me one new RS advertised for anywhere near this??

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...05966257&Log=0

At base sticker, it is 37 with dest. Edmunds shows almost 2 grand over sticker for true adjusted market value at my zip in jersey. So you might get sticker, but most on the RS boards are chomping at the bit to get 1-2 grand over. As mentioned very limited supply= gouging...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Look, you're trying to hold out a car being sold at below MSRP as the appropriate metric of comparison. That's wrong. We might as well compare a new RS to a used Evo. MSRP to MSRP is the only fair comparison that doesn't favor one car over the other based on factors that are highly variable.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

You're basically punishing the RS for being new and desirable while the Evo is being given a boost due to it sitting on the lot unsold.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 03:40 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Look, you're trying to hold out a car being sold at below MSRP as the appropriate metric of comparison. That's wrong. We might as well compare a new RS to a used Evo. MSRP to MSRP is the only fair comparison that doesn't favor one car over the other based on factors that are highly variable.
In this case it is not that variable. The average transaction price for RS is going to be a lot more.

You're basically punishing the RS for being new and desirable while the Evo is being given a boost due to it sitting on the lot unsold.
Yeah, it's called shopping. Very easy to get a big discount on EVO at this point. Every person (except you I guess) will consider this price differential in their purchase, if they were looking for new today.

If we are not considering price, why not just compare RS to every car available, no matter the price.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

So what is the average transaction price across all of North America? If you want to calculate that number, then sure, by all means use it.

We're considering MSRP. You seem to be the only person pushing to compare a discounted 2015 Evo to a marked up 2016 RS.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OX
Find me one new RS advertised for anywhere near this??

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...05966257&Log=0

At base sticker, it is 37 with dest. Edmunds shows almost 2 grand over sticker for true adjusted market value at my zip in jersey. So you might get sticker, but most on the RS boards are chomping at the bit to get 1-2 grand over. As mentioned very limited supply= gouging...
When I bought my Evolution I compared the discounts and availability of it to the lack of both for a WRX STI. Focus RS is still pretty much unavailable unless you are willing to pay over and/or travel to get it.

I still find it funny that Evolution X weren't in any magazine comparos because it was a dead car. But it was available all year while the RS wasn't. I'd probably be driving a RS if it wasn't as tough to get one as it continues to be.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:49 AM
OX
Evolving Member

So what is the average transaction price across all of North America? If you want to calculate that number, then sure, by all means use it.

We're considering MSRP. You seem to be the only person pushing to compare a discounted 2015 Evo to a marked up 2016 RS.
Originally Posted by moparfan
When I bought my Evolution I compared the discounts and availability of it to the lack of both for a WRX STI. Focus RS is still pretty much unavailable unless you are willing to pay over and/or travel to get it.

I still find it funny that Evolution X weren't in any magazine comparos because it was a dead car. But it was available all year while the RS wasn't. I'd probably be driving a RS if it wasn't as tough to get one as it continues to be.
Guess I wasn't the only one.................. I'm pushing reality, you are ignoring it.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OX
Guess I wasn't the only one.................. I'm pushing reality, you are ignoring it.
You're pushing anecdotal evidence as "reality". The fact is that MSRP on the two cars is very close. The fact that some RS are being above MSRP and some Evos are being sold below MSRP does not open the door to a comparison between the most expensive RS you can find, and the cheapest Evo you can find, which includes thousands in extra mods.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
I think a possible pain point in the future is the RDU/lack of center diff. If it blows up you are ****ed.
If the RDU blows up, you have a front wheel drive focus. nbd. Wouldn't even need to trailer it. I'm sure it will be expensive to fix, but it most likely won't leave you stranded.

Originally Posted by kaj
I personally know of a guy that paid MRSP. That was his actual purchase price, so....

I paid MSRP for my RS as well. At my local dealership. The cars exist without markup, you just have to talk to the right people I guess.

Quick Reply: Focus RS