Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 08:38 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
I thought classic cars (i.e., 25+ year old cars) qualified for Smog Exemption in CA. http://www.carsdirect.com/dmv/do-cla...-in-california

What do you mean by bringing up to spec?
imported cars aren't exempt in CA. GTRs are legal, as-is, in every state but CA. they have to brought up to standard, which i haven't really researched because i gave up after finding the cost. from what i understand it involves catalytic converter installation and a couple other items. i'm assuming evap, etc. then there is the testing and certification. it's a huge hassle that i don't feel like dealing with. oh, and they have to be 100% bone stock under the hood.
they are federally legal and legal in all states except CA.

legal? yes, because the 1989 Nissan Skyline will be federally legal to import once it’s 25 years old in 2014, but no because vehicles 1975 or newer are subject to direct import laws in California.
more info:

1976 or newer, needs to be smogged in California every 2 years.
1975 or newer, must meet Direct Import requirements (FTP testing).
1968 to 1974, exempt from smog but still needs to meet USEPA requirements in effect on the specific date of 11/15/1972.
1967 and older, no smog and no modifications or testing are required to register the vehicle in California.

1) Vehicle over 25 years old: NHTSA- FMVSS exempt
2) Vehicle over 21 years old: EPA exempt in original configuration
3) Vehicle 1968 or newer, registration in California: you are screwed.
as for classics, CA used to have a rolling smog exemption that i think they stopped. the cutoff date is 1976, as shown above.

Last edited by kaj; Sep 24, 2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
For as liberal as California claims to be, they sure seem draconian to me.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 08:59 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
for some reason C.A.R.B. does not like old nor modified autos LOL. the restrictions on cars are unlike anywhere else, though i'm told other states are copying what we're doing. the feds are trying to get all states on board.
liberals are probably the ones responsible. "whaaaaa global warming is caused by emissions". "whaaaaaaa smog is caused by nothing but tail pipe emissions".
it's really tough to enjoy performance vehicles in CA, which is a shame because it's one of the best places to enjoy them.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I do not even have emissions testing where I live. Renew tabs yearly online, done.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 09:43 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Pretty much every federal emission law is a byproduct of CARB. It was done somewhat out of necessity (look at pictures of LA in the 80s) but it's frustrating because of the 13 million cars in California, it seems having a small number of bad apples wouldn't be the end of the world.

Originally Posted by kaj
it's really tough to enjoy performance vehicles in CA, which is a shame because it's one of the best places to enjoy them.
This, so much.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like there are dealerships taking deposits and guaranteeing sale at MSRP http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-focu...-markup-2.html

Last edited by nemsin; Sep 24, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like there are dealerships taking deposits and guaranteeing sale at MSRP http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-focu...-markup-2.html
hahaha did you read a lot of those posts? morons

Ok in all seriousness, every dealer can not get 2 vehicles, there are over 3k dealers in the US alone and there is no way Ford is making that type of volume for this vehicle at launch
Old Sep 25, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yes there is a lot of chaff in that thread. But there are some gold nuggets in there too. Like post #17 where Chuck Kramer, GM/Operating Partner at Planet Ford, guarantees sale at MSRP to MidCow3.

At the very least you could call Chuck and try to get the same deal.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know how much truth there is to this...

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ford-focus-rs/

Weight
The U.S.-market Focus ST weighs 3,223 pounds, according to Ford. The all-wheel-drive system on the RS certainly isn’t that light, and there are other heavy performance bits including additional cooling elements, larger brakes, bigger wheels, etc. The quoted European weight for the Focus RS is 3,370 pounds. We’ll see once we get U.S. numbers and put the Focus RS on the scales but, frankly, 3,370 pounds seems a touch light to me. Volkswagen quotes 3,283 pounds for the Golf R with a six-speed manual (3,340 pounds with the dual-clutch gearbox), but remember that the Golf uses VW’s light MQB platform. The Golf GTI four-door hatchback with the six-speed manual comes in at an impressive 3,030 pounds, nearly 200 pounds lighter than the Focus ST. Subaru says its WRX STI weights 3,386 pounds (or 3,429 pounds for the more luxurious Limited model).

When does it go on sale?
Dealers in the U.S. will have the official order guide for the 2016 Ford Focus RS on October 1 and can start placing orders October 12. Production begins in January 2016, and cars will start arriving in the U.S. by the spring. Just keep in mind that production will be very limited -- I’m hearing similar volume to the Shelby GT350 -- so there will surely be far more demand than supply, at least early on.

Last edited by ak47po; Sep 25, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:09 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I really hope that Ford makes more FoRSs than they do GT350s... otherwise they're going to be pretty scarce.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Don't know how truth there is to this...

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ford-focus-rs/

Weight
The U.S.-market Focus ST weighs 3,223 pounds, according to Ford. The all-wheel-drive system on the RS certainly isn’t that light, and there are other heavy performance bits including additional cooling elements, larger brakes, bigger wheels, etc. The quoted European weight for the Focus RS is 3,370 pounds. We’ll see once we get U.S. numbers and put the Focus RS on the scales but, frankly, 3,370 pounds seems a touch light to me. Volkswagen quotes 3,283 pounds for the Golf R with a six-speed manual (3,340 pounds with the dual-clutch gearbox), but remember that the Golf uses VW’s light MQB platform. The Golf GTI four-door hatchback with the six-speed manual comes in at an impressive 3,030 pounds, nearly 200 pounds lighter than the Focus ST. Subaru says its WRX STI weights 3,386 pounds (or 3,429 pounds for the more luxurious Limited model).

When does it go on sale?
Dealers in the U.S. will have the official order guide for the 2016 Ford Focus RS on October 1 and can start placing orders October 12. Production begins in January 2016, and cars will start arriving in the U.S. by the spring. Just keep in mind that production will be very limited -- I’m hearing similar volume to the Shelby GT350 -- so there will surely be far more demand than supply, at least early on.
Interesting, usually EU market cars are a bit lighter then the US market ones, mainly because the heavy required crash beams and many times the "full" spare tire kit.
But we will see what happens
Old Sep 30, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Focus RS: Rebirth of an Icon – Ep 1: Project Kick-Off Featuring Ken Block

Old Oct 1, 2015, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Focus RS: Rebirth of an Icon – Ep 1: Project Kick-Off Featuring Ken Block

Focus RS: Rebirth of an Icon – Ep 1: Project Kick-Off Featuring Ken Block - YouTube
looks good!!! I can't wait for this car to get to an event like sema and see what the aftermarket does with this car
Old Oct 2, 2015, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am so excited for this car! I can't wait to drive one. It sucks I won't be able to afford one for a few years though.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, guys, I found some disappointing news, it seems the AWD system for RS isn't that good to me.
What do you guys think?
I had high hope for the car, but now it seems like a down grade to me. I may still consider it, but keep it stock.
The AWD system seems to have system longitivy and environment friendly on top of the priorities.
It doesnot sound like a TRUE AWD.
For anyone who is interested, you can read more here: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/436-interview-gkn-focus-rs-awd-designer-12.html

http://www.fordrsnation.com/threads/442-AWD-Questions?p=3119#post3119

You can't add any more output to the rear halfshafts if that's what you're asking. Because the torque transfer limitation is a mechanical property of the clutch plates it is not something you can calibrate and change like timing or fuel maps in the engine. The torque transfer to the rear is continuously variable up to its maximum capacity. It's never a fixed ratio, but it is a fixed hardware limitation. So your added power doesn't necessarily go straight to the front wheels. Just because you tuned the engine and added an extra 100Nm of torque doesn't mean that it is instantly all at the front. It still takes some range of RPM before your torque curve exceeds the OEM torque peak. At or below this level the balance of the torque distribution will remain stock-like. It's only when you push beyond this that the car will begin to feel more front-wheel biased as you are now applying additional torque the AWD system can't transfer rearward.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by yifuqiao; Oct 3, 2015 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Focus RS