Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
That's pretty expensive compared to CAD prices. Normally, we get ****ed over on prices. A base Golf R is around $39,000 CAD, with another $1,500 or so in destination charges.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
nowhere does it say anything about brakes...
AYC doesnt use brakes to control traction. The S-AWC system does, which can be turned off.
Also the Evo line offers fully mechanical read diff for the the X in the surprise surprise RS line...

The RS price sounds real good. Also on the power argument, RS will have power and good aftermarket support so as achievements as it did always. I have no doubt there.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 20, 2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave W.
What's up Brian.
Just look at the EcoBoost Mustang. It reached 520 HP after being out for just 6 months.
But the dyno you should be truly excited over is the EFR 7163 on the 2.3 engine.
I think its a bit early to get excited about the power potential. The integrated exhaust manifold seems like a major downer. I'm very hopeful that Ford made the internals beefy enough to handle more power than what the 4G63 can handle on it's stock internals.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like the additional motor size and capacity for fully warrantied modification is a pretty good reason to jump.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Down ~20whp and ~30wtq..

And we still don't know exactly what fuel the ecoboost was on...
oops, my bad... too many lines and I was thinking only 380whp

but either way, I'm more curious to what it will do on the stock turbo. with an upgraded turbo, its not really telling us anything... any engine can make power with an upgraded turbo
Old Sep 21, 2015, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
AYC doesnt use brakes to control traction. The S-AWC system does, which can be turned off.
Also the Evo line offers fully mechanical read diff for the the X in the surprise surprise RS line...

The RS price sounds real good. Also on the power argument, RS will have power and good aftermarket support so as achievements as it did always. I have no doubt there.
uses both doesn't it? diff and brakes... and the brake portion of it can be turned off

otherwise why would people be swapping it into evo 7/8/9 like the professional awesome evo (at least at one point, idk if they still run it)
Old Sep 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
uses both doesn't it? diff and brakes... and the brake portion of it can be turned off

otherwise why would people be swapping it into evo 7/8/9 like the professional awesome evo (at least at one point, idk if they still run it)
AYC is the active rear limited slip diff, it works on the same principle as the ACD (active center differential). The brakes intervening is simply stability control. The brakes do not act as an LSD like they do on the FiST and FoST. And the stability is full defeatable..
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
AYC is the active rear limited slip diff, it works on the same principle as the ACD (active center differential). The brakes intervening is simply stability control. The brakes do not act as an LSD like they do on the FiST and FoST. And the stability is full defeatable..
yeah, thats what I was thinking...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 01:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...or-the-2016-rs

The 2016 Ford Focus RS will have more than twice the horsepower and twice the acceleration as the base-level Focus S sedan. In keeping with that theme, the RS also will cost twice as much, Ford Motor Co. said.

Starting at $36,605, with shipping, the RS hatchback will bring Ford's top-selling global nameplate to a new level of profitability as well as performance when it arrives in North America next spring. Specs provided last week show its 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine will produce 350 hp, a top speed of 165 mph and a 0 to 62 mph time of 4.7 seconds.

If those numbers -- and the car's unique "drift mode" -- have racing enthusiasts salivating, it's the prices that the RS and other upcoming Ford Performance vehicles can command that company executives are eyeing lustily. Volumes may be modest, but for relatively little expense the automaker is able to generate even more profits from existing nameplates, in addition to the image boost they can provide.

"We really want to expand our performance lineup, not because we're gearheads but because we've found that in mix and rates, this is a really huge opportunity," Jim Farley, president of Ford's Europe, Middle East and Africa region, said in a presentation to investors at the Frankfurt auto show. In selling to "people who own those vehicles, we compete really successfully with the luxury players."

In Europe, the RS will cost about 10,000 euros ($11,278) less than the Audi RS3, Farley said. "We can do better volume than them and really good margin," he said, "even on a mainstream product like Focus."

Ford expects about 20 percent of Focus RS buyers to cross-shop with luxury vehicles, Omar Odeh, the marketing manager for the Focus, said after the car was unveiled in the spring.

Results with the Focus ST, which costs $11,305 less than the RS, hint at the type of customer the RS will deliver to Ford dealers. The average ST buyer earns more than $100,000 a year and spends $1,500 to $2,000 on aftermarket accessories, Odeh said. About two-thirds of the buyers are new to Ford.

"These are people who are washing their car with a toothbrush and have very high expectations," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of the Americas. "ST products bring in a different customer base than the rest of the Ford products."
Old Sep 21, 2015, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...or-the-2016-rs

The average ST buyer earns more than $100,000 a year
I guess I'm not the average ST buyer.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 02:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
You and me both, my man.

Old Sep 21, 2015, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Comments like that from a Ford marketing manager really makes me wonder where they get their data.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 03:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
Originally Posted by golgo13
You and me both, my man.

Originally Posted by nemsin
Comments like that from a Ford marketing manager really makes me wonder where they get their data.
seriously... do they think only millionaire's buy their shelby mustangs?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Let's be realistic guys, the RS is going to sell out. I'd prefer it was a little cheaper since it's pushing into luxury territory, but given the response that the Golf R elicited, I'm sure there will be a waiting list for the RS, and some dealerships will charge a markup.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Let's be realistic guys, the RS is going to sell out. I'd prefer it was a little cheaper since it's pushing into luxury territory, but given the response that the Golf R elicited, I'm sure there will be a waiting list for the RS, and some dealerships will charge a markup.
agree

Quick Reply: Focus RS