Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

really considering a 2016 STI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd give the RS a chance over the STi also, however, STi has been in the US market for sometime so I'd imagine it will have some advantages (not its motor bahahahahahahaha)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
<p>the RS is built off the focus ST, ford has been in the game plenty long enough to make a beast of a car. &nbsp;RS will be a 2.3 direct-injection and I'm going to guess will make in the range of 350bhp</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>STI is antiquated technology when compared to the RS</p>
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup! Even tho I do like the way the new STi look's but I think i'll just end up waiting for the RS! I prefer hatch over a sedan any day.

Originally Posted by llDemonll
<p>the RS is built off the focus ST, ford has been in the game plenty long enough to make a beast of a car. &nbsp;RS will be a 2.3 direct-injection and I'm going to guess will make in the range of 350bhp</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>STI is antiquated technology when compared to the RS</p>
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bphx123
Yup! Even tho I do like the way the new STi look's but I think i'll just end up waiting for the RS! I prefer hatch over a sedan any day.
Good call. The Focus RS (and CTR) will be raising the bar for what people expect from a $35-40k sports car. I suspect Subaru will have to wait until the next gen STI to really compete with these new cars.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny how now the Focus is a cool car to me coming out. Remember when it first came out back in the day, never drive one. Can't wait to see it! I love my 8 but these new cars with technology and comfort get my attention for sure.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
I didn't say ford didn't know how to build a vehicle... I said they have never introduced this type of vehicle into the US market, they don't have any market history to fully understand the type of customer for US market. Subaru and Mitsubishi have over a decade of experience in the US for similar type vehicle, as you can understand you've seen both of these vehicles evolve into more interior friendly DD type cars.
The Focus ST and RS are not the same type of car, they do not have the same type of customer despite the platform. Its always interesting to see market data for vehicles, and see if the target market was hit or completely botched and some random type of person is buying 60% of your vehicle you never consider
Old Aug 20, 2015, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, I completely agree. It should be a nice fun little car to troll around lol

Originally Posted by Berns82
Funny how now the Focus is a cool car to me coming out. Remember when it first came out back in the day, never drive one. Can't wait to see it! I love my 8 but these new cars with technology and comfort get my attention for sure.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My vote would be for the RS as well. Definitely an exciting car.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 03:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
the RS looks to be a lot more fun. if you need a family/comfy car, i'd go Sti.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

I would save $5-10k and just get a new WRX. The new FA20DIT motor is proving to be the best motor Subaru has ever made for production wise. Twin Scroll bigger turbo, Stronger block with lots of updates to it, chain driven, same body and basically chassis as the STI. The few things the STI does better than the WRX in can easily be upgraded to aftermarket parts with the money saved and make it even better. I am actually looking at getting a 2016 WRX after I sell my Evo X and get into my new house. Stage 1 WRX is just as fast as a Stock STI in a straight line and sometimes slightly faster. Stage 2 blows the STI out of the water. Stock WRX on E85 is making mid to high 300's whp and there has even been one or two make over 400whp with stock turbo and fuel system. Stock blocks with bigger turbos are making and handling mid to high 400whp as well. I think the current record for stock motor is about 530-540whp. New FA20 motor is the best thing Subaru has done lately and the interiors are by far much nicer and better quality than the Evo X ever was. Just throwing out my .02
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved to a more fitting venue. You are required, by law, to post pictures of your purchase.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:05 PM
kaj

plus Subaru guys talk funny.
"pro tune"
"stage 1, 2, etc"

:P
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
RS is a much better car in my opinion. The STI has a very old and unreliable engine, the rest...

For myself, i would by the RS, i wont even think the STI as a counter part. Maybe the New R32.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
plus Subaru guys talk funny.
"pro tune"
"stage 1, 2, etc"

:P
I was always annoyed by that... suby guys really drink the cobb kool-aid

in my book, a pro tune is just a tune... the standard cobb tune should be referred to as a mail order tune

and the whole stage thing only belongs in video games... just say you have an intake and a tune instead of "stage 1" bs. anytime I hear someone say "stage" anything I assume they know next to nothing about cars
Old Aug 20, 2015, 04:48 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I was always annoyed by that... suby guys really drink the cobb kool-aid

in my book, a pro tune is just a tune... the standard cobb tune should be referred to as a mail order tune

and the whole stage thing only belongs in video games... just say you have an intake and a tune instead of "stage 1" bs. anytime I hear someone say "stage" anything I assume they know next to nothing about cars

i had a subaru for about 6mos. everyone would ask "what stage?". i honestly didn't know what to tell them. i mod as needed to get the car to perform how i wanted. i didn't really follow a path or "stage". even after you find out what "stage", you still wonder what mods they have done. it was more frustrating and complicated than it needed to be LOL.

and yeah.. a tune is a tune. but i hear EVERYONE calling it a "protune" now. Hondas, Evos, etc.
it just sounds kinda silly to me. unless i can understand what makes it "pro". meh. just a pet peeve. i try to remember i'm old and not up with the new terminology haha.

as for OP, the RS is looking to be a different animal than the RS. i don't think an Sti owner would want the RS and vice versa. like the Evo VIII/IX vs the X. do you want raw performance or a comfy ride?

Quick Reply: really considering a 2016 STI