Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2018 Audi S3, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
A friend recently bought a Golf R, which I understand is very similar to the S3. I corrected his paint and, as a thank you, he lent me the car for an afternoon. Needless to say I was very excited having read so many great things about the platform. ATM, I subscribe to 4 print automotive publications and this car is hailed quite highly.

First, is there such a thing as clutch-by-wire? The clutch on the R has zero resistance; just enough spring pressure to keep the pedal upright. Weird, but OK.... The engagement is rubbery. No feel.

Second, the steering. No feel (warning, this will be a reoccurring theme). No idea where the wheels are. No idea what they're doing. No idea what the car is driving over.

Third, suspension. This car was equipped with the adjustable, electronic dampers. Without getting into its setting, which truly do not improve a single thing, the car wallowed down the road. I don't mean to say that it felt flabby, though it kinda did, there was nothing special about its dynamics. It felt like a car, an ordinary car. No exaggeration, our (base) Focus is more fun to toss around; it feels more connected and responsive.

Fourth, power. I oped its taps in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Drove it in the same manner as my Evo, well, as much as the chassis would allow. It didn't feel terribly quick. There was no rush of excitement. If it weren't for the noise piped into the cabin I'd have no clue as to the reach of the throttle.

Help out here, guys. I don't understand why folks with a point of reference speak highly of the R, as I don't get a chance to drive many new cars. Is it that the R is better compared to other offerings, meaning, other new cars are even worse to drive? It's the only thing that makes sense.
I owned a MK6 R for awhile and this accurately describes the driving experience. Especially the steering. Overall, the R has a lack of soul.

It was nice and comfy though!

My Fiesta ST has so much more soul and accurate driving experience compared.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 02:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I owned a MK6 R for awhile and this accurately describes the driving experience. Especially the steering. Overall, the R has a lack of soul.

It was nice and comfy though!

My Fiesta ST has so much more soul and accurate driving experience compared.
I'm kinda eyeing the 1.0L Fiesta as something to bounce around in. A factory sport suspension is $300. Factory 17'" wheels are less than $100. This could be a lot of fun with reliability and utility at a price that I'm personally willing to pay for something with electric assist power steering. If not the 3-cylinder, the ST is definitely an option. If it were available as a 2-door, pppffff, one would likely be sitting in my garage.

I didn't know you had a R. My friend, who bought the mk7, is not a car person. He wanted a nice, comfortable car. Debated between the Accord V6 and the VW and bought the latter. He loves the car's electronic gizmos and doesn't mind the glitches. In his mind, the R will be just as reliable as his (old) Si for the next 10 years. I hope he's right.

On a side note, I had a R line up with me last summer. Talked to the guy; he was convinced that my IX had a big turbo. The car is almost stock pulling 300-320whp (depending) on STM's Mustang. I was so struck by his seemingly unshakable belief that I went to the R board and read a bit. Seems like many owners are like my friend; folks who wanted nice cars.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 07:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF

I didn't know you had a R. My friend, who bought the mk7, is not a car person. He wanted a nice, comfortable car. Debated between the Accord V6 and the VW and bought the latter. He loves the car's electronic gizmos and doesn't mind the glitches. In his mind, the R will be just as reliable as his (old) Si for the next 10 years. I hope he's right.

On a side note, I had a R line up with me last summer. Talked to the guy; he was convinced that my IX had a big turbo. The car is almost stock pulling 300-320whp (depending) on STM's Mustang. I was so struck by his seemingly unshakable belief that I went to the R board and read a bit. Seems like many owners are like my friend; folks who wanted nice cars.
Here was my adventure in my MK6R: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lo...13-golf-r.html
Old Jul 22, 2017, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
A friend recently bought a Golf R, which I understand is very similar to the S3. I corrected his paint and, as a thank you, he lent me the car for an afternoon. Needless to say I was very excited having read so many great things about the platform. ATM, I subscribe to 4 print automotive publications and this car is hailed quite highly.

First, is there such a thing as clutch-by-wire? The clutch on the R has zero resistance; just enough spring pressure to keep the pedal upright. Weird, but OK.... The engagement is rubbery. No feel.

Second, the steering. No feel (warning, this will be a reoccurring theme). No idea where the wheels are. No idea what they're doing. No idea what the car is driving over.

Third, suspension. This car was equipped with the adjustable, electronic dampers. Without getting into its setting, which truly do not improve a single thing, the car wallowed down the road. I don't mean to say that it felt flabby, though it kinda did, there was nothing special about its dynamics. It felt like a car, an ordinary car. No exaggeration, our (base) Focus is more fun to toss around; it feels more connected and responsive.

Fourth, power. I oped its taps in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Drove it in the same manner as my Evo, well, as much as the chassis would allow. It didn't feel terribly quick. There was no rush of excitement. If it weren't for the noise piped into the cabin I'd have no clue as to the reach of the throttle.

Help out here, guys. I don't understand why folks with a point of reference speak highly of the R, as I don't get a chance to drive many new cars. Is it that the R is better compared to other offerings, meaning, other new cars are even worse to drive? It's the only thing that makes sense.
This is just a guess, but I think most people would opt for the DSG these days. While a lot of us on the forums tend to lean toward wanting a manual, preference aside, if your friend's Golf R were DSG-equipped, how would you see that affecting your opinion on the car?