Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2018 Audi S3, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 Audi S3, or something else?

I'm about 95% set on a Audi S3 for my next ride, and pretty much just waiting for ordering of 2018's to open up. Any thoughts on the brand reliability as of late, the EA888, Haldex AWD system, and DSG common to the Golf R? I already know about the tune-ability of them, and I'm waiting for the 2018's because they are supposedly coming with a 7-speed DSG. The upcoming RS3 is out of my price range. I'd be ordering a loaded Prestige, and doing at least a stage 1 ECU tune. Other cars I had looked at were the Golf R, Dodge Charger Scat Pack, Subaru STi/WRX, and the Chevy SS. 4-doors are a necessity. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Possible repair costs in the past have scared me off. Shame about the RS3 price going deep into the 60k's.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Audi has been top 3 in new car reliability since 2014, so no worries there.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi has a good track record. Had a beat to hell A4 for a while and was solid, then bought a turbo'd subaru, big mistake. Test drive it, read some reviews, watch some reviews on the similar models like S4/TT-S and make your decision from there!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 06:35 PM

You should consider the Golf R more. It's so underrated and very fast with just a basic tune. I think it would be funner to drive than the A3 and doesn't sacrifice on comfort or practicality.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ctr
Old Apr 15, 2017, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
What about an almost new M3?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I like the S3, at least looks wise but have heard of some engine failures with tunes. If the RS3 came in a wagon/hatch I'd certainly consider that but would still take a CPO S4 over a new S3.

For a DD in the PNW weather, the S4 has been fantastic. If I lived somewhere sunnier I'd probably take a RWD option.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

2018 Kia Stinger GT. http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...s/2018-stinger

2017 Alpha Romeo Giulia https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/al...FUOSfgod4DcIqg

Last edited by nemsin; Apr 16, 2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 03:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
R. Save thousands, same dynamics, more practical, manual transmission option. Wins all around.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Bleh, Golf R looks like a shoe. And not a nice shoe, more of an old East German communist shoe.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:05 PM

Hi, im new here but i wanted to give you my opinion. I'm currently looking for an evolution as my fun weekend warrior, but my daily driver is a 2013 Audi S4.

i love that damn thing. in comfort mode it is really nice to just relax and drive a comfortable car with a gorgeous interior and a plethora of creature comforts. put the car in dynamic and it is a blast to drive.

Brand Reliability - ive had the car for 3 years now, and i have only had 1 issue where an hvac sensor went bad, but the dealer took care of it no problem, and i have not had any issues since. Like people above me have said, Audi has been in the top charts for car reliability. That being said, be prepared for a hefty maintenance tag and repairs. My windshield was hit by a rock on the freeway and cracked pretty good. I called the dealership expecting to just bite the bullet and have an OEM windshield installed, since im driving a damn Audi and putting on a no brand windshield just felt wrong... Well the dealer quoted me 1,100 dollars.... for a windshield... needless to say, Safelite was called and the no-name was installed for 600 lol. be prepared to do some work if you want to save some money, otherwise the dealer is charging you 700 just for rear brakes, things like that.

AWD system - i have not had another AWD system so i cannot give you a direct comparison, but i can tell you that the car makes me feel very comfortable coming in and out of corners, any slipping on ice or things like that. The built in launch control kicks ***.

DSG - the dsg is overall nice. In dynamic it shifts insanely fast and the gearing feels very good when youre WOT. in comfort mode, be prepared to just hang out and drive like a grandma. my dsg does this thing from a stop where it doesnt know whether to start from 2nd, or 1st. So when you hit the gas the car just creeps forward lazily for a couple seconds until i get irritated and give it more gas, then it shifts into first and hauls ***... no in between. i usually end up just putting it into dynamic because of this, unless im doing some freeway driving.

overall i love the car, and i would buy it again. and like you stated, the tuneability is awesome. check out audizine, theres usually a bunch of deals for tune reflashes and stuff like that.

Last edited by HuntingforEvo; May 5, 2017 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 5, 2017, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have driven a few Audi's, mainly S7's, and I love the looks and comfort. The interiors felt a little overwhelming but well made. I just wasn't ever impressed performance wise. I have always felt that there are better options for your money.
Old May 5, 2017, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your planing on modding the car I would also look at the Focus RS.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 08:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend recently bought a Golf R, which I understand is very similar to the S3. I corrected his paint and, as a thank you, he lent me the car for an afternoon. Needless to say I was very excited having read so many great things about the platform. ATM, I subscribe to 4 print automotive publications and this car is hailed quite highly.

First, is there such a thing as clutch-by-wire? The clutch on the R has zero resistance; just enough spring pressure to keep the pedal upright. Weird, but OK.... The engagement is rubbery. No feel.

Second, the steering. No feel (warning, this will be a reoccurring theme). No idea where the wheels are. No idea what they're doing. No idea what the car is driving over.

Third, suspension. This car was equipped with the adjustable, electronic dampers. Without getting into its setting, which truly do not improve a single thing, the car wallowed down the road. I don't mean to say that it felt flabby, though it kinda did, there was nothing special about its dynamics. It felt like a car, an ordinary car. No exaggeration, our (base) Focus is more fun to toss around; it feels more connected and responsive.

Fourth, power. I oped its taps in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Drove it in the same manner as my Evo, well, as much as the chassis would allow. It didn't feel terribly quick. There was no rush of excitement. If it weren't for the noise piped into the cabin I'd have no clue as to the reach of the throttle.

Help out here, guys. I don't understand why folks with a point of reference speak highly of the R, as I don't get a chance to drive many new cars. Is it that the R is better compared to other offerings, meaning, other new cars are even worse to drive? It's the only thing that makes sense.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi S3, or something else?