Camaro SS 1LE Verses Mustang GT Performance Pack - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

The Loft (Evom Car Talk Corner) The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Camaro SS 1LE Verses Mustang GT Performance Pack

Old Jan 29, 2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Evolving Member

Drives: Rally Red EVO 8

Camaro SS 1LE Verses Mustang GT Performance Pack

Old Jan 29, 2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Evolved Member

Drives: 328i, NC Miata

I don't understand why did such a sh*t job with this. the SS 1LE is the clear competitor for this Mustang... they car has been available for a while now, so it wasn't a mystery for how fast it had to be to compete... I'm thinking they're taking a page out of Porsche's playbook and protecting the GT350

Old Jan 30, 2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Evolved Member

Drives: 2015 Evolution X GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
I don't understand why did such a sh*t job with this. the SS 1LE is the clear competitor for this Mustang... they car has been available for a while now, so it wasn't a mystery for how fast it had to be to compete... I'm thinking they're taking a page out of Porsche's playbook and protecting the GT350
GM has been taking full advantage of their chassis that the Camaro and Cadillac share. The eLSD also works especially well in this application. I think for the street and mostly legal driving there really isn't much difference except for bragging rights.

The new Mustang engine is very nice with a very high redline for a run-of-the-mill production v8.

Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Evolved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
GM has been taking full advantage of their chassis that the Camaro and Cadillac share. The eLSD also works especially well in this application. I think for the street and mostly legal driving there really isn't much difference except for bragging rights.

The new Mustang engine is very nice with a very high redline for a run-of-the-mill production v8.
well these are the respective "track" packages for both cars... I guess most people don't track their cars so it doesn't matter as much, but I track my cars, and I used to had an S197 Mustang so maybe I'm taking it a little personally... but I'd like to see a bit closer competition considering the price... 3.3 seconds is a pretty big difference considering it was the same professional driver in both

Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Evolved Member

Drives: 2005 Evo 8. 2011 F150 FX4

Yeah, I knew the 1LE was good, Chevy talked about it being as good as the previous Z28. Just a **** poor showing from Ford. Like...damn... 3 seconds at streets of Willow isn't just tires..

Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:35 AM   #6
Evolved Member

Quote:
well these are the respective "track" packages for both cars... I guess most people don't track their cars so it doesn't matter as much, but I track my cars, and I used to had an S197 Mustang so maybe I'm taking it a little personally... but I'd like to see a bit closer competition considering the price... 3.3 seconds is a pretty big difference considering it was the same professional driver in both
I would say the closer comparable, although probably still short, is Ford's Performance Pack 2 coming out for the Mustang. The PP1 just makes it a decent car.

Old Feb 5, 2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Evolved Member

Quote:
I would say the closer comparable, although probably still short, is Ford's Performance Pack 2 coming out for the Mustang. The PP1 just makes it a decent car.
so this was PP1? whats the difference between this and PP2? and will PP2 be even more expensive? the Mustang is already almost 5k more in the article... as much as I like the mustang, the only way its better here is if you're a fanboi and performance doesn't matter

Last edited by warmmilk; Feb 5, 2018 at 03:19 PM.

Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:03 AM   #8
Evolved Member

Quote:
so this was PP1? whats the difference between this and PP2? and will PP2 be even more expensive? the Mustang is already almost 5k more in the article... as much as I like the mustang, the only way its better here is if you're a fanboi and performance doesn't matter
Yeah, the Mustang in this article was a PP1.

If you can order it, PP2, from a dealer unencumbered I think it ends up around 6-7k more than a base?

"Perf Pack Level 2 is a $6,500 package available only on Mustang GT fastback manual cars. If ordered on a base GT, you must also opt for the $2,000 Equipment Group 301A—dual climate control and Sync 3 AM/FM/CD, and for comparison purposes against Chevy’s full-on $7,000 1LE Track Performance package, you might as well know that Level 2 lacks the 1LE’s head-up display, and Ford charges $895 for its performance exhaust that Chevy throws in."

I admit that the mustang is beat in the track arena, but a ~7500 rpm v8 is lots of fun. I remember way back when I thought my 4AGE MR-2 was a high winding machine.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...t-look-review/

Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Evolved Member

Drives: 2005 Evo 8. 2011 F150 FX4

pp1 Can't compare to the 1LE, tires alone aren't even close. 30mm narrower all the way around, and much more street oriented compound (Michelin PS4s 255 front, 275 rear). PP2 package will have Pilot sport cup 2's in 305's all the way around. This test was stupid. They should have waited for a PP2 package mustang.

Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Evolved Member

Quote:
Yeah, the Mustang in this article was a PP1.

If you can order it, PP2, from a dealer unencumbered I think it ends up around 6-7k more than a base?

"Perf Pack Level 2 is a $6,500 package available only on Mustang GT fastback manual cars. If ordered on a base GT, you must also opt for the $2,000 Equipment Group 301A—dual climate control and Sync 3 AM/FM/CD, and for comparison purposes against Chevy’s full-on $7,000 1LE Track Performance package, you might as well know that Level 2 lacks the 1LE’s head-up display, and Ford charges $895 for its performance exhaust that Chevy throws in."

I admit that the mustang is beat in the track arena, but a ~7500 rpm v8 is lots of fun. I remember way back when I thought my 4AGE MR-2 was a high winding machine.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...t-look-review/
does that replace PP1 or in addition to PP1? from base, so 35 plus 6-7? if so thats reasonable...

Old Feb 10, 2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Evolved Member

Quote:
does that replace PP1 or in addition to PP1? from base, so 35 plus 6-7? if so thats reasonable...
Both will be available. It's up to the buyer to be able to spec it the way they want, most likely through a order.