Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 08:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
You guys have implied some good points here. A launch of the new Supra instantly puts her in pond full of sharks like the Mustang GT350 / GT350R. Without offering big power for the buck, the new Supra may have a hard time.
Like revhappy said, this is gonna be more Z4 than Supra... basically just a sports car that Toyota makes that happens to be called a Supra. Nothing special, nothing like the last Supra...
Old Jun 10, 2018, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
you could do that for a really long time now... what about the GT350R?
There's a dealer here that has one on discount. Special order the guy hacked out on. They've had it for months..
Old Jun 10, 2018, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
There's a dealer here that has one on discount. Special order the guy hacked out on. They've had it for months..
The thing with the GT350R is that I feel like it's so special, outside of cost, that I wouldn't drive it anywhere. I'd drive a more expensive Corvette to the mall, for instance, but I would feel uncomfortable parking this anywhere.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 05:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by moparfan
The thing with the GT350R is that I feel like it's so special, outside of cost, that I wouldn't drive it anywhere. I'd drive a more expensive Corvette to the mall, for instance, but I would feel uncomfortable parking this anywhere.
and what makes a car special? the way it feels on your hand when you rub it with your microfiber towel or the way it drives? the best analogy I've heard is its like not f*cking your girlfriend cause you wanna keep her tight for the next guy... cars are meant to be driven, especially the special ones
Old Jun 10, 2018, 06:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Also, it's still just a mustang lol.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
GTRs better look out!
Needs more car to justify that price!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
If the past three decades have taught us anything about what makes a car a cult classic, that would be the combination of light weight, great handling (chassis and suspension), and a lot of horsepower. Many newer cars nail the horsepower part and their special editions (e.g. Mustang GT350R, Camaro ZL1 1LE) also nail the handling part, but to be cult classics, their makers also have to be radical about reducing the weight.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
If the past three decades have taught us anything about what makes a car a cult classic, that would be the combination of light weight, great handling (chassis and suspension), and a lot of horsepower. Many newer cars nail the horsepower part and their special editions (e.g. Mustang GT350R, Camaro ZL1 1LE) also nail the handling part, but to be cult classics, their makers also have to be radical about reducing the weight.
not really... miata is a cult classic, no power... supra is a cult classic, not light weight... plenty of old muscle cars are cult classics, not light weight and don't handle... e30 m3, no power... i mean the list that ruin your cult classic trifecta is nearly endless
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
GTRs better look out!
Needs more car to justify that price!
you bringing up the GTR made me think of Nissan, this is basically like the 350Z revival.. not all that true to the original, except significantly more expensive than the Z was