Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Toyota Supra

Old Feb 14, 2018, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
New Toyota Supra

Am I the only person that thinks the new Supra is going to be a disappointment? I already don't really like the style of it if it resembles the FT concept that came out with a couple years back. Maybe it'll look better in person.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...to-show-debut/
Old Feb 14, 2018, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm definitely more excited about the 2JZ that's getting built for my friend's extremely clean red 1990 MK3 Supra

Hard to get an idea of what the new one will look like before they reveal it. But all the "BMW this, BMW that" talk made me disappointed TBH.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
bmw engine has me worried it'll sound like sh*t like the M3/4 does... on the other hand the 135/335 engines sound amazing when uncorked, so really kind of a crap shoot if it gets a good or bad sounding engine.

and I hope it gets double wishbone suspension in the front unlike almost everything new with McCrapstrut...

Last edited by WarmMilk; Feb 14, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I liked the original renderings of it. Long hood and a short rear end coupe design is always gorgeous when done right. Sadly the more recent versions of the car are far less attractive. Looks like a fat FRS (<<<and I can’t stand this car) or a weird cross between a 20k FRS and a 400k LFA; the margin is too wide at that point. Not very excited for it anymore to be honest.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Possibility of a BMW engine also has me worried. But I like the silhouette shot, she has nice hips.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Possibility of a BMW engine also has me worried. But I like the silhouette shot, she has nice hips.
its not just a possibility is it? I thought the bmw engine was a done deal?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
why cant they just build it on an 86 body with a nice toyota super charged motor like they put in the lotus? its all there in house, easy

Like the supra was and still is a legendary car like the skyline and nissen stepped up with the GTR and thats on par with any super car and now toyota comes out with a supra styled on a wimp *** z4 hair dressers car. Seriously toyota need to stick to building camrys

Last edited by Jonno99; Feb 15, 2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 09:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jonno99
why cant they just build it on an 86 body with a nice toyota super charged motor like they put in the lotus? its all there in house, easy

Like the supra was and still is a legendary car like the skyline and nissen stepped up with the GTR and thats on par with any super car and now toyota comes out with a supra styled on a wimp *** z4 hair dressers car. Seriously toyota need to stick to building camrys
I'm confused... first you say they should build it on a 25k platform, but then you complain about it not being on par with the GT-R?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 01:38 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
It'll ultimately come down to the price. At $60k it might be worth a look, at $90k it'll be a joke.

Personally I think the current Toyota design scheme is ugly, but that's subjective.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I'm confused... first you say they should build it on a 25k platform, but then you complain about it not being on par with the GT-R?

Its the only light rear wheel platform they have other then the fat lexus, in jap they are putting v8 soarer motors in them, why not build it out into a new body with the supercharged built 3.5 and that can be the new supra, keep it down around 60k plus to try and make it compete with the RS lots of people would be interested and they should be able to keep the price down. All the millions of young guys driving their slow 86s could progress to that next, then put out thirdparty performance kits for the supercharger to bring it up to HP closer to the GTR.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 02:42 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Developing a new platform costs a lot of money; developing a new platform for a low volume halo car is almost a guaranteed financial loss.

There's a reason Toyota and BMW partnered on the platform, and it's not about technical expertise.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 02:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Its the only light rear wheel platform they have other then the fat lexus, in jap they are putting v8 soarer motors in them, why not build it out into a new body with the supercharged built 3.5 and that can be the new supra, keep it down around 60k plus to try and make it compete with the RS lots of people would be interested and they should be able to keep the price down. All the millions of young guys driving their slow 86s could progress to that next, then put out thirdparty performance kits for the supercharger to bring it up to HP closer to the GTR.
that still wouldn't be on par with a GT-R, its be a 60k glorified 86...

compete with what RS? focus RS? GT3 RS? I'm sure there are more RS's, but those are the only 2 I can think of at the moment and neither of which sound like a good competition target for what you're describing...

as far as the young kids driving 86's jumping to that next, 25k to 60k is a huge jump... most people don't make that kinda jump in tax brackets that quickly

also, what WestSideBilly said
Old Feb 15, 2018, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Developing a new platform costs a lot of money; developing a new platform for a low volume halo car is almost a guaranteed financial loss.

There's a reason Toyota and BMW partnered on the platform, and it's not about technical expertise.

Here you go, its a 6 cyl NA @ 335 hp, which would make it mostly non tunable and slower then the Focus RS and Civic, congrats Toyota top work and glorious collaboration with the Z4. I bet Nissan are laughing

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...s-design-power
Old Feb 15, 2018, 04:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Here you go, its a 6 cyl NA @ 335 hp, which would make it mostly non tunable and slower then the Focus RS and Civic, congrats Toyota top work and glorious collaboration with the Z4. I bet Nissan are laughing

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...s-design-power
where did you get NA? the article you linked doesn't say one way or the other. but that torque number suggests boost... You're not getting 330lbft tq out of a 3L engine NA... the current 335 (turbo) is 300/300, this is 335/330. just sounds like a slightly tuned up version of the 335 engine (engine sound should be great unlike the M3/4).

the downside is the article says torque converter auto and doesn't mention any other transmission... at the very least it should be a double clutch... lets hope there's a manual transmission option like the 335 has
Old Feb 15, 2018, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
where did you get NA? the article you linked doesn't say one way or the other. but that torque number suggests boost... You're not getting 330lbft tq out of a 3L engine NA... the current 335 (turbo) is 300/300, this is 335/330. just sounds like a slightly tuned up version of the 335 engine (engine sound should be great unlike the M3/4).

the downside is the article says torque converter auto and doesn't mention any other transmission... at the very least it should be a double clutch... lets hope there's a manual transmission option like the 335 has

ok we will revisit this conversation when the full details of this monster comes out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Toyota Supra