Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Supra Specs and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by lv05evo
I don't know how the SMG will handle heat of road racing, so look into that. Also copied this from another site:

Hey everyone. Of course you know there are some big maintenance items for the E46 like the subframe reinforcement, rod bearing, and VANOS but there are a few others as well.

I wanted to put together a list of issues here so it's kind of a one-stop for all things maintenance. I've done pretty much all of these services and wanted to share to the new owners and prospective owners what to expect maintenance wise. So here we go.

Full article here: Ultimate E46 M3 Maintenance Guide & Schedule
  1. Rod Bearing - Excess heat and friction will cause your S54 rod bearings to wear overtime and at about 100k miles you should really look into replacing your rod bearings. There are some additives you can add to limit the wear, but it’s only short term. We did a full write up on treating your engine with Liqui Moly MoS2 with oil sample tests in case you’re curious. In the long run, you want to replace. BMW did create a service action recall to fix this premature issue, but still only short term.
100hp/L N/A engine with basically 90's tech. I would say 100k on rod bearings is good.
  1. VANOS - There are multiple issues associated with the S54 VANOS unit. VANOS solenoid solder connection disconnects, cam bolts become lose and snap inside the engine, worn down oil pump disc, VANOS hub tabs break and gets tossed into the engine, VANOS piston seal o-ring deteriorates, and chain guide wears down. If you’re having timing issues or hear abnormal ticking coming from the solenoid, you definitely want to consider doing a VANOS overhaul. Some get lucky, but when the metal hub tab breaks off it’ll most likely go into your engine causing major damage.
The VANOS stuff isn't too expensive to fix these days.
  1. VANOS high pressure oil line - The S54 VANOS oil line creates up to 1,200 psi in the feed line and the neck area closest to the banjo bolt on the solenoid tends to crack or burst. The VANOS high pressure oil is used to maintain responsive and accurate camshaft adjustments. Failure in this line can do serious damage to your engine.
Known issue, replace preventively.
  1. Subframe reinforcement - The rear mounting points for the subframe can rip out in the sheet metal caused by excessive torsion load from the differential to the chassis. We’ve literally seen a chassis split in half!
Was the car jumped? When OEM cars are track aggressively, weird **** happens.
  1. CPV - The CPV has an o-ring that tends to flatten and harden over time because of excessive heat which causes a leak in the line. The valve is located behind the exhaust manifolds which makes it a must-replace job if you’re taking out the headers for whatever reason.
This sounds like a minor issue.
  1. Radiator - The OEM radiator has plastic end tanks which are prone to crack caused by high-low temperatures. Coolant temperatures can reach up to 207 degrees under normal operating conditions and quite possibly higher during track days. Plastic expands in heat and contracts in cooler conditions so it’s just a matter of time until your OEM end tanks leak!
  2. Radiator hose - The OEM coolant/radiator hose gets brittle and cracks overtime leading to leaks. Just like the radiator issue above, hot-cold temperatures will prematurely wear out the OEM material. If you’re upgrading your radiator to all aluminum, you might as well spend the extra $80 to upgrade your hose kit.
These are "issues" for any car. Rubber hoses age, and even the Evo plastic rad fails.
  1. Differential bolts - Excessive torsion load may cause stock differential bolts to snap. Even when you accelerate and decelerate, the drivetrain load causes force and adds stress on the differential bolts. Now, go out to the track where you put the car in a more severe environment, you might want to really consider replacing bolts. $12 for a pair is worth it.
I'm guessing this isn't as common as the internet would make it seem. Sort of like crank walk in 7 bolt DSM motors.
  1. Rear shock mounts (RSM) - There have been many reports on M3Forum on the rear shock mounts blowing out of the washer and causing a bit of damage to the shocks. If you hear squeaking, rattling, or clunking it may be a sign that the RSM is going bad. Monitor around 60,000 miles.
  2. Rear trail arm bushings (RTAB) - Premature wear of OEM bushing can result in poor handling, excessive tire wear, and alignment issues. In some cases, members on M3Forum have reported premature bushing wear at ~40,000 miles of daily driving.
Factory rubber **** that wears, sometimes prematurely?????? Say it isn't sooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
  1. Front shock tower reinforcement plate - When using aftermarket camber plates, the front strut tower may began to deform or crack when driving in “poor road conditions” due to uneven distribution of pressure.
  2. Rear spring perch reinforcement plate - The aluminum cast construction of the lower arm, only on the E46, may cause the spring perch to deform or crack. Similar to the strut tower reinforcement, the uneven load from an aftermarket spring perch may cause improper seating thus damaging the suspension. This applies if you have after market height adjusters.
Aftermarket junk causes issues with OEM parts. This isn't a BMW issue.

Shoutout to Obioban for the information he put together in his thread that guided my servicing.
Based on my responses, the car has some quirks like every other car in existence, and BMW guys whine a ****ing lot.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 05:24 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Based on my responses, the car has some quirks like every other car in existence, and BMW guys whine a ****ing lot.
Despite my earlier post (I was kidding), I don't know that anyone is saying this is a list of negatives or weaknesses, just a heads up of things to check for.
I think.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 03:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts

My brother picked up the new Supra. It drives well , power delivery is good . Steering is sharp. Exhaust sounds good at cruise/wot but too many pops for decel for me.

Tall people problems
Old Jul 23, 2019, 04:46 PM
kaj

I think I'm getting kinda tired of pops and bangs, myself.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Continued driving possible? That's not reassuring.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Abacus
My brother picked up the new Supra. It drives well , power delivery is good . Steering is sharp. Exhaust sounds good at cruise/wot but too many pops for decel for me.
I just watched the video earlier today. Is that the first MkV sold here?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Seems to be the new fad. A bunch of cockbois around here are tuning just so their POS ricers pop constantly on decel. Ghost cam tunes and some other ****.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by barneyb
Continued driving possible? That's not reassuring.
Its part /full german, sometimes you get some service lights lol. It wasn't happy going on the dyno and a few lights came on. Mostly wheelspeed related since the front tires were strapped. Typical with BMW on the dyno. A number of things will be looked at,changed and upgraded so there could be service lights in the future. Its a new platform.

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I just watched the video earlier today. Is that the first MkV sold here?
I don't think so, A bunch of guys got them the other day.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Its part /full german, sometimes you get some service lights lol. It wasn't happy going on the dyno and a few lights came on. Mostly wheelspeed related since the front tires were strapped. Typical with BMW on the dyno. A number of things will be looked at,changed and upgraded so there could be service lights in the future. Its a new platform.
Yeah, the Toyota brand keeps me thinking Japanese car instead of Germans taking complexity to the next level.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I hated pops and bangs from day 1. Its the stance of exhaust noise.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Jul 30, 2019)
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:30 AM
kaj

Our local dealership has a Supra in stock for the low, low price of $90k, after a $30k "dealer installed package" or something like that. I think I'd rather have a C8.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I hated pops and bangs from day 1. Its the stance of exhaust noise.
A couple pops or burbles is fine. But a lot of cars you can tell its contrived and it sounds like they engineered/tuned it do it. I don't like that so much. Of ocurse, true anti-lag is fine..lol
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I think I'd rather have a C8.
This. New supra does nothing for me really. C8 gets my pants all tight.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

The Zupra is a nice , but the C8 looks like a great platform.

Displacement
sound
affordable

As long as the interior doesn't fall to pieces in 5 years or its a rattle trap then I'm getting one. I drove a new 2018 ZR1 and it had those issues. Lets hope GM ironed the issues out.

Last edited by Abacus; Jul 31, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 02:45 PM
kaj

The Zupra is a nice , but the C8 looks like a great platform.

Displacement
sound
affordable

As long as the interior doesn't fall to pieces in 5 years or its a rattle trap then I'm getting one. I drove a new 2018 ZR1 and it had those issues. Lets hope GM ironed the issues out.

It's still a budget "super car" and had to cut corners somewhere. I wouldn't expect build quality to be any better than before.

Quick Reply: New Supra Specs and Pricing