Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Supra Specs and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
I will never get used to a slushbox. I daily my 5MT Evo and it's a transcendent experience in canyons and I prefer it even in stop-and-go traffic. The car is always in the exact gear I want it to be.

The slushbox ruins cars. It shifts the car into the wrong gear and crashes it. It lazy shifts unless you push hard. It shifts dramatically slower in downshifts and the manufacturers' "shifting in less than x milliseconds" is phishing for phools. The slushbox is the ingredient for every disobedient car, every wimpy husband, and every unhappy wife.

My manual is my light, way, and life.

To each his own.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
All cars are going A/T, though. We're just gonna have to get used to that, like how we got used to everything having power windows. I'll keep my old car for the "feel" of driving a manual, etc... but anything that buy new, I'm okay with A/T as long as the transmission shifts fast as ****.
For a daily, A/T is awesome. For track days a really fast DSG/etc is always faster. That being said, I'd opt for M/T in almost any car it's offered.
I'm ok with a dual clutch, its the slushbox torque converter that I can't do for a driver focused car. sure modern auto's have improved a lot, but a torque converter will always kill it for me. Part throttle modulation goes out the window. GM solved that with their traction control system, but I prefer to drive the car myself, not just floor it and let the ecu sort things out. and most of them never listen to you when you use the paddles to shift, there's always a delay or an auto upshift or an auto downshift... I've read reviews on a couple (don't remember which cars) that the writer claimed they actually shifted when. GM auto's have a reputation of not listening to the paddles, their fix is "just leave it in auto". I'm picking on GM cause they seam to be pushing the auto the most as a real performance transmission with it being offered as the fast laptime option on all their Zxx cars... torque converter auto's are for commuter cars and drag racing.

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
. It shifts the car into the wrong gear and crashes it. It lazy shifts unless you push hard. It shifts dramatically slower in downshifts and the manufacturers' "shifting in less than x milliseconds" is phishing for phools. The slushbox is the ingredient for every disobedient car, every wimpy husband, and every unhappy wife.
Nitto INVO's on the rear and R888's on the front?

in this guys case, drive with TC on for your normal everyday commute to work?

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:09 PM
kaj

I assume we're all talking about DSGs/etc with paddle shifters.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I hope no one gets offended. The commenter was clearly humorous or sarcastic.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:25 PM
kaj

Sounds like he's saying "learn to drive".
Old Jan 15, 2019, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Too many people focus on the "numbers" and they also don't like "change". Nobody has driven the new Supra except a select few and everybody and their mothers are already bashing it. This is the reason why car company's don't try to make anything too exciting anymore is because of a lot of you guys and the negativity. If they made a super raw awd high horsepower manual transmission that didn't have all the daily features and comforts of today's modern cars, nobody would buy it. If you want something crazy and raw, go buy a lotus or a select few of other cars that give that feeling what you're looking for. Shoot, you already have an Evo, isn't that enough?

I like the route the Supra is going. More of a driving pleasure than super crazy high horsepower straight line speed! Whats the point of a 500hp car when you can only gas it for 2 seconds before you fly by the speed limit. Also I bet the Supra would be more fun to drive than the evo anyways. The Evo is pretty damn tame out of the box in the handling department, and you gotta do a nice chunk of work if you wanted it to be more neutral/oversteery.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

^thats not a reason not to offer a manual as an option like it's BMW counterpart does
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
People are super critical of the car because it carries on the "Supra" name and it's been 20 since they came out with one. I would be upset too if I heard they were bringing back one of my favorite cars after 20 years just to find out it's a Z4 with a Toyota badge. If they gave this car another name like the FT-1 they were originally were going to name it I don't think people would mind as much. If you're going to bring back a legendary car like the Supra, make sure you do it right or don't do it all. Car manufacturers aren't selling sports cars because they aren't listen to the people that want them. If you build a car that people have been asking for they will buy it, i.e Honda.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Too many people focus on the "numbers" and they also don't like "change". Nobody has driven the new Supra except a select few and everybody and their mothers are already bashing it. This is the reason why car company's don't try to make anything too exciting anymore is because of a lot of you guys and the negativity. If they made a super raw awd high horsepower manual transmission that didn't have all the daily features and comforts of today's modern cars, nobody would buy it. If you want something crazy and raw, go buy a lotus or a select few of other cars that give that feeling what you're looking for. Shoot, you already have an Evo, isn't that enough?

I like the route the Supra is going. More of a driving pleasure than super crazy high horsepower straight line speed! Whats the point of a 500hp car when you can only gas it for 2 seconds before you fly by the speed limit. Also I bet the Supra would be more fun to drive than the evo anyways. The Evo is pretty damn tame out of the box in the handling department, and you gotta do a nice chunk of work if you wanted it to be more neutral/oversteery.
"Hard Parkers Dream!"
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I just want to say this now. The technology exists for Toyota to create a RWD, 330hp, car that has all of the creature comforts including heated seats, GPS, bluetooth navigation, parking, as well as lane change sensors, all while offering the car in a true stick shift or automatic version. I know this because Mazda just did this in a car with half the power and is still able to sell it for 40k. There is something more shameful going on here. Some cruel intentions of an executive who should be fired....

There is room for everyone to have their cake and eat it too.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Whats the point of a 500hp car when you can only gas it for 2 seconds before you fly by the speed limit. Also I bet the Supra would be more fun to drive than the evo anyways. The Evo is pretty damn tame out of the box in the handling department, and you gotta do a nice chunk of work if you wanted it to be more neutral/oversteery.
Believe me, it's awesome!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
I just want to say this now. The technology exists for Toyota to create a RWD, 330hp, car that has all of the creature comforts including heated seats, GPS, bluetooth navigation, parking, as well as lane change sensors, all while offering the car in a true stick shift or automatic version. I know this because Mazda just did this in a car with half the power and is still able to sell it for 40k. There is something more shameful going on here. Some cruel intentions of an executive who should be fired....

There is room for everyone to have their cake and eat it too.
Well said!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I suppose Toyota teamed with BMW because they knew the car wouldn't sell in enough volume to recoup development costs. So, share some cost with BMW. But, open the hood on any BMW and find it completely paved in plastic. I service my own cars, I don't want to be a plastic miner. And I especially don't want to pay BWM prices for parts.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:18 PM
kaj

The new Supra is just fine. Most people that are complaining are doing so because they have a very specific and narrow focus of what a car should be.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 01:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
The new Supra is just fine. Most people that are complaining are doing so because they have a very specific and narrow focus of what a car should be.
it'll be fine as just a car, as a Supra it's a complete fail

Quick Reply: New Supra Specs and Pricing