Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The New Mid engine Corvette C8

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The New Mid engine Corvette C8

Highlights from the launch. Mid-Engine V-8 NA RWD, twin clutch 8-speed transmission with a base price of "less than 60k" and a "sub 3 second 0-60" at that price. Game changed.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...e-2018-rumors/
Old Jul 19, 2019, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I'm interested.

This thing looked like it was going to be HIDEOUS in the camouflaged spy shots we got. But it unwrapped and shined its pretty amazing. When I saw it yesterday I immediately thought "modern F430".
Old Jul 19, 2019, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Is there any legitimate interior shots or just the "leaked" ones? the "leaked" ones show a column of buttons in the center console and a screen that looks like a tablet was added to the dash
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Should've named it after their Zora concept. I'm not buying one either way but the performance seems to fit the bill. I'm mostly curious to see how the quality will be at $60k. Usually their interior fitment suffers when they try to cut down on price this far. Does anyone know if the body is still fiberglass?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Should've named it after their Zora concept. I'm not buying one either way but the performance seems to fit the bill. I'm mostly curious to see how the quality will be at $60k. Usually their interior fitment suffers when they try to cut down on price this far. Does anyone know if the body is still fiberglass?
Some times I catch myself criticizing cheap car interiors, but then I climb into my Evo and remember that it's all relative. At $60K with 500hp and a 8-speed DCT, I could look past some minor interior issues.

I wish Nissan would step up their game with the GT-R. It feels downright ancient at this point.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Construct
Some times I catch myself criticizing cheap car interiors, but then I climb into my Evo and remember that it's all relative. At $60K with 500hp and a 8-speed DCT, I could look past some minor interior issues.

I wish Nissan would step up their game with the GT-R. It feels downright ancient at this point.
A lot of that. If it proves reliable, finding one used after a couple years shouldn't be hard.

I think a lot also don't realize that the ~$33k 2005 MSRP of an Evo8 is $43k in 2019 dollars. And that's only figuring inflation. With other ever rising costs I'm sure a "re-released" Evo 8 or 9 would carry a nearly $50k MSRP.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
I'm not comparing to an evo or inflation prices. I'm saying historically, every time GM has tried to release a budget sports car the interiors tend to be put together pretty shoddy. Maybe I've just ridden in too many non saleable preprod stuff but it's rare to be impressed with any cheap car's interior.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 01:28 PM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I don't hate it, now that I see it in paint. I actually kinda like it, though I'm not old enough to drive a 'Vette I had decided on picking up a '12 GTR as a daily-ish fun car (still keeping the civic for longer road trips) but they are in the $50-55k range. Seeing the MSRP on this car makes me pause. Plus warranty. I know it won't be selling at MSRP for quite some time so I'd have to wait for used and see how the pricing is then. Of course there is the obligatory "how will the first model year hold up?", typical GM build quality (the '12 GTR I drove had 54k miles and still felt new to me), etc. I don't know that I'd want to daily drive the Corvette, though. Also, I probably wouldn't want to take it to the track, so I wouldn't even be taking advantage of it's performance. If I did it would probably be faster than my Evo Back and forth, pluses and minuses...
This car definitely throws a wrench into my plans LOL
Old Jul 19, 2019, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
You guys do know that they have a lot of info, pictures and videos on this thing straight off the Chevrolet.com website....

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette
Old Jul 19, 2019, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I don't hate it, now that I see it in paint. I actually kinda like it, though I'm not old enough to drive a 'Vette I had decided on picking up a '12 GTR as a daily-ish fun car (still keeping the civic for longer road trips) but they are in the $50-55k range. Seeing the MSRP on this car makes me pause. Plus warranty. I know it won't be selling at MSRP for quite some time so I'd have to wait for used and see how the pricing is then. Of course there is the obligatory "how will the first model year hold up?", typical GM build quality (the '12 GTR I drove had 54k miles and still felt new to me), etc. I don't know that I'd want to daily drive the Corvette, though. Also, I probably wouldn't want to take it to the track, so I wouldn't even be taking advantage of it's performance. If I did it would probably be faster than my Evo Back and forth, pluses and minuses...
This car definitely throws a wrench into my plans LOL
I would research if the LT1 (Old Corvette engine) engine had problems, all though I doubt it had any. What would worry me is the dual clutch transmission. Tremec has a 7 speed dual clutch, but GM help develop an 8 speed just for the Corvette. I'm sure it would be fine but still could be years before we know if there is a problem with that transmission.

With the GTR the same old car for years now we know how it we be as a used car purchase.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 02:02 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by lv05evo

With the GTR the same old car for years now we know how it we be as a used car purchase.
Other than wanting to own a GTR since about 1992, that would be the largest influence in my decision.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
I'm not comparing to an evo or inflation prices. I'm saying historically, every time GM has tried to release a budget sports car the interiors tend to be put together pretty shoddy. Maybe I've just ridden in too many non saleable preprod stuff but it's rare to be impressed with any cheap car's interior.
I'm not thinking of buying a $60k corvette for the interior. It's pretty well understood you're paying what you're paying for a corvette because you get near or surpassing super car performance for white new balance's, tube socks and denim shorts budget...
The following users liked this post:
PolloVagabundo (Jul 25, 2019)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I think the C8 is really cool, but I'm also heartbroken that we lost one of the best front engine rwd platforms of all time. It's still a lot of value for the money, but there's enough mid and rear engine sports cars in our current world.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I think the C8 is really cool, but I'm also heartbroken that we lost one of the best front engine rwd platforms of all time. It's still a lot of value for the money, but there's enough mid and rear engine sports cars in our current world.
Not with this performance at this price point.
The following users liked this post:
Fox_IX (Jul 19, 2019)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 02:47 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'm not thinking of buying a $60k corvette for the interior. It's pretty well understood you're paying what you're paying for a corvette because you get near or surpassing super car performance for white new balance's, tube socks and denim shorts budget...
Funny because it's true. Who cares about the interior? ....like our Evos.

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
That is a shame. But at least c5/6/7s will stick around for a very, very long time, thanks to popularity and a faithful following.